Author Topic: TG16 should have had 5 controller ports?  (Read 1832 times)

Bonknuts

Re: TG16 should have had 5 controller ports?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2016, 03:50:29 AM »
Years ago I had a TG16, the lack of affordable games and CD hardware was a massive turnoff. At the time I stuck with TG16-centric communities and I often heard many complaints about it, like its needlessly large size, dumb back cover and the single controller port. Some said why not 2 controller ports? That never made sense to me since the system was always designed to use 1 controller port, then you add a multitap to get all 5 controllers.

To that end, I ask the PCEFX community here, should the oversized TG16 have had a multitap built in? If it had the original mini DIN connectors, there could easily be room for 5 controller ports on the front. Sure, it would have been more expensive, but imagine the marketing effort that would have been possible.

Because of how the system was made, and how the TAP was designed, simply adding another port on the system would have really complicated things. And that would have meant incompatibility between JP and US products, most likely.

The TAP itself is only made of a single GAL chip - not much logic. But I doubt they would have ate the cost and included it with every system, but they could've had possibly had a deluxe system package with two controllers, a tap, and a better packin game (or two). I dunno. Or maybe include a really cheap 2 port version of the tap with all systems? Japan had 3 port taps.

Besides, look at their business model: want to upgrade the system? By these additional items; booster, booster+, 5 port TAP, arcade stick, CD rom, etc. They were taking the Japan business model and applying it to the US market.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 03:53:08 AM by Bonknuts »

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2016, 11:02:06 AM »
Wasn't there a mockup picture somewhere with the Turbo and 5 ports? Looked pretty ridiculous...

esteban

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »
Wasn't there a mockup picture somewhere with the Turbo and 5 ports? Looked pretty ridiculous...

Yeah, someone was going to perform a mod?
  |    | 

Alt-Nintega2

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2016, 02:47:06 PM »
In a communist society you get one port  =;

I am Karl Marx and I approve of this message
Karl Marx

HuMan

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2016, 04:15:34 PM »
Because of how the system was made, and how the TAP was designed, simply adding another port on the system would have really complicated things. And that would have meant incompatibility between JP and US products, most likely.

The TAP itself is only made of a single GAL chip - not much logic. But I doubt they would have ate the cost and included it with every system, but they could've had possibly had a deluxe system package with two controllers, a tap, and a better packin game (or two). I dunno. Or maybe include a really cheap 2 port version of the tap with all systems? Japan had 3 port taps.

Besides, look at their business model: want to upgrade the system? By these additional items; booster, booster+, 5 port TAP, arcade stick, CD rom, etc. They were taking the Japan business model and applying it to the US market.

Maybe you intended to quote someone else, I don't think I ever suggested 2 built-in controller ports. I recognize the PC Engine was only ever designed to include one controller port.

Like someone said, daisy-chaining controllers would have been a fantastic idea, only downside is less revenue based on the Japanese business model. The problem is clearly, that model doesn't work very often in America. I for one haven't met many people willing to buy tons of accessories for a particular game console. To Americans, dividing everything up into additional products looks cheap and greedy.

While on the subject, Bonknuts, could the PC Engine support more than 5 controllers? Or is that the maximum?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2016, 04:42:07 PM »
Just stick a turbotap in the TG16 case and add some holes.  The f*cker can fit in there probably.

but really, who cares.

Buy another controller, and buy a turbotap.

then, buy 3 more controllers.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Bonknuts

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2016, 05:01:07 PM »
While on the subject, Bonknuts, could the PC Engine support more than 5 controllers? Or is that the maximum?

By connecting another TAP to a TAP? Technically yes, but practical - not really. The way the TAP works, you'd have to read the first TAP inputs five times for every entry on the second TAP. That would each up a bit of cpu resource. I mean, you could do it.. but it's really a waste to.

Better to make a custom 10 port TAP. Yes, the PCE can handle it - but it's not exactly cpu resource free to manage something like 10 controllers or more.

HuMan

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2016, 06:05:56 PM »
So what you're saying is... 10 player Bomberman really could have "worked" on PC Engine.

Bonknuts

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2016, 06:27:50 PM »
Yes.

HuMan

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2016, 06:33:31 PM »
That is totally awesome.

For some strange reason I kind of want a TG16. I have an Everdrive so lack of games isn't a problem and there exist DIN to mini DIN adapters. What I don't understand is why the TG16 console has shot up so much in the past 6 years. They used to sell around $50, now it seems like they're as high as $150.

esteban

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2016, 02:36:37 AM »
That is totally awesome.

For some strange reason I kind of want a TG16. I have an Everdrive so lack of games isn't a problem and there exist DIN to mini DIN adapters. What I don't understand is why the TG16 console has shot up so much in the past 6 years. They used to sell around $50, now it seems like they're as high as $150.

It is fun to own hardware, even if you don't need it. :)

I have fun cycling different consoles/systems every few weeks. It keeps things fresh and interesting, for me.

I have limited space, so I was forced to do this, anyway. But now I prefer it.

:)

I am bad: I'll swap TG-16 out and put in PCE...or swap out a DUO and swap in a TG-CD.
  |    | 

HuMan

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2016, 10:33:05 AM »
Oh definitely! I own both an original PC Engine (white) and a PCE Duo (black), even though only the Duo is truly necessary. If I found a cheap TG16, I'd pick one up for sure. I notice they almost never appear for sale anywhere. Have they truly become more rare? I guess the pool really has dried up lately. They used to be cheap and only somewhat hard to find, now it's a lot worse.

Oh well, the PC Engine (white) is already perfect. The TG16 is like a cousin that survived a car crash, barely.

esteban

TG16 should have had 5 controller ports?
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2016, 01:17:11 AM »
Oh definitely! I own both an original PC Engine (white) and a PCE Duo (black), even though only the Duo is truly necessary. If I found a cheap TG16, I'd pick one up for sure. I notice they almost never appear for sale anywhere. Have they truly become more rare? I guess the pool really has dried up lately. They used to be cheap and only somewhat hard to find, now it's a lot worse.

Oh well, the PC Engine (white) is already perfect. The TG16 is like a cousin that survived a car crash, barely.

I don't think they are rare...I just think that folks are happy to sit on them with inflated prices. e.g. For years folks have tried to sell Keith Courage for more than _____ dollars. Sellers are just sitting on them. *Hoping* for some mystical payday.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:19:05 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2016, 05:49:26 AM »
They aren't rare. Flippers just figured out how to milk collectards. It's bad enough when people try to gouge an "impossible to find!" game on eBay and there are a dozen copies up at any given time. It's on an entirely different level when there are over 100 TG-16's for sale on eBay at any given time.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

TheClash603

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2016, 07:26:29 AM »
That link earlier in this thread was a fantastic read, finally got around to finishing it.  750,000 TG16 show it was not rare, however the US CD systems are legitimately low manufacturing runs if the reliable quotes are to be believed.

I wasn't in control of NEC BITD, and hindsight is 20-20, but f*ck man...