Author Topic: Pat & Ian video on TurboGrafx-16 Failure - What Could Have Saved It?  (Read 3996 times)

esadajr

Re: Pat & Ian video on TurboGrafx-16 Failure - What Could Have Saved It?
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2016, 03:01:00 AM »
...Japan's success with CD required the older child-less gamers that currently rule the American market. We didn't have much of that yet so selling CD was much harder.

Exactly, now that we have the "disposable" income, with all due respect (and I said with all due respect) the new stuff (4k, VR and all that crap) just isn't worth it.
Gaming since 1985

xelement5x

« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2016, 04:40:02 AM »
Please discuss:

Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Black Tiger

« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2016, 04:58:55 AM »
Why'd they waste time on either when the SNES was clearly superior? EGM even told us so each month.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2016, 05:05:49 AM »
The Arcade Card wasn't a success even on the Japan side. I don't see how making Duos cost even more would help. When the AC was released it cost about as much as a SNES...and you needed a $300 machine just to use it! As with Street Fighter II', the TG-16 was already dead by the time this shit was released. Everyone was amazed when it actually came out because we were sure we had seen the last of the PCE. Something released six or seven years into a system's life *probably* isn't going to be able to help it's chances very much.

The arc of the PCE's success in Japan starts out really high and then decays for a decade. For the TG-16 to have succeeded, for any system to succeed, it has to take root right away because after 6-7 years it's all over. The TG-16 would would only have caught on if it had been popular early on. Any possible success would have to have begun in the HuCARD era, just like it did in Japan, except I'd say the HuCARD era was much more important for the US because Americans didn't want to buy expensive ass CD stuff to play games on. Japan's success with CD required the older child-less gamers that currently rule the American market. We didn't have much of that yet so selling CD was much harder.

Great answer.

More or less it had to do well out of the gate. The kind of game that would have been the killer app at that time might have been a port of the TMNT arcade game in 1989. It wasn't there, and the CD-ROM was too expensive for the North American video game market at the time, still mostly consisting of minors.
--DragonmasterDan

Otaking

« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2016, 06:05:53 AM »
edit: oops posted this video link in the wrong thread

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:00:37 AM by Otaking »

NE146

« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2016, 06:40:35 AM »
Why'd they waste time on either when the SNES was clearly superior? EGM even told us so each month.

In the US the TG16 & Genny were released together in one summer.. but the SNES didn't come out until like two years later... which felt like an eternity.  :lol:   

Black Tiger

« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2016, 07:01:07 AM »
Instead of Devil's/Alien Crush, R-Type, Dead Moon, Cotton, Magical Chase, Beyond Shadowgate, Godzilla, Dungeon Explorers, etc (I won't mention PCE games since they don't exist), these clowns chose Ghost Manor, Night Creatures, Addams Family and only included Splatterhouse to say how bad it is.

Isn't complaining about bonehead decisions with unbelieveable shock Pat's bread and butter? When will the "we're the only ones talking about this!" expose video about how Pat-knows-less-about-the-Turbo-than-a-google-search be uploaded?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:05:27 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gentlegamer

« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2016, 07:47:22 AM »
these clowns chose Ghost Manor, Night Creatures, Addams Family and only included Splatterhouse to say how bad it is.

Do you not have Halloween in Canada?

geise

« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2016, 07:49:34 AM »
I never watch their shit.  I have better things to do like "play" my games when i have freetime.

crazydean

« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2016, 08:10:17 AM »
I never watch their shit.  I have better things to do like "play" my games when i have freetime.
Are you implying that there are other things to do with games besides talk about and buy them?
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2016, 08:14:49 AM »
Are you implying that there are other things to do with games besides talk about and buy them?
...bitch about rising prices and gougers.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

xelement5x

« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2016, 04:18:21 PM »
...bitch about rising prices and gougers.

Oh, and don't forget in-depth analysis of the shrink wrap on them.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story