Author Topic: Ys I is seriously frustrating near the end  (Read 992 times)

EmperorIng

Re: Ys I is seriously frustrating near the end
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 12:09:38 AM »
A final point that makes a huge difference: setting the speed between Slow and Fast.

When you have things on Fast, not only do you move twice as fast, but all the enemies do too.

For the final boss (or for any hard boss) make sure that you have the speed set to Slow before you start the fight, to increase the amount of reaction time at your disposal.

SoulflySolid

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 04:16:47 AM »

Finished part 1, now onto part 2. The cinematic sequence in between games was awesome.

Bonknuts

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 05:49:13 AM »
I found the 2nd part of the game a little more balanced, if I remember right. Particularly when it comes to leveling system and the number of levels you can gain.

seieienbu

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »
I found the 2nd part of the game a little more balanced, if I remember right. Particularly when it comes to leveling system and the number of levels you can gain.

If memory serves, isn't the max level in Ys 1 the same as it is in Ys 2?  I had way more problems beating Dark Fact on SMS due to the fact that you couldn't just over-level for the sequel during the first one.  Max level in Ys 2 puts you at a reasonable strength to beat Potential-spoiler meaning you can't over level unlike with the first game.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

EmperorIng

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 01:03:51 PM »
The levels carry over from Ys 1 to Ys 2 in the Turbo version, if I remember correctly (e.g. beating the first at lvl 24 means you start at that in the second). Though practically speaking, you're starting from the ground up at the beginning of Ys 2.

seieienbu

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 01:54:06 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  I haven't played the Turbo version in a long while and couldn't quite recall.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

wildfruit

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 10:31:35 AM »
Well done. Now if you can figure out the god damn room in book 2 god damn evil bell I salute you.

Bonknuts

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 10:50:23 AM »
I don't remember exactly. Maybe the levels do carry over. But you can max out in the first game, in a given area, fairly quickly and it doesn't do you any good. Not max out overall, but max out for the area.. in the later areas (first half of part 1 is easy). The Bat boss in the mines is a bastard because of this. I recently played through the first part and mostly into the second part, so maybe the numbers look the same but the leveling system is not as balanced as the second part. The leveling, related to the area, related to the boss for the areas, was more even in the second game IMO. Though the second part has its own different set of challenges.

Then again.. maybe I'm just imagining all of this ;>_>
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:44:07 PM by Bonknuts »

xelement5x

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 06:01:14 AM »
I don't remember exactly. Maybe the levels do carry over. But you can max out in the first game, in a given area, fairly quickly and it doesn't do you any good. Not max out overall, but max out for the area.. in the later areas (first half of part 1 is easy). The Bat boss in the mines is a bastard because of this. I recently played through the first part and mostly into the second part, so maybe the numbers look the same but the leveling system is not as balanced as the second part. The leveling, related to the area, related to the boss for the areas, was more even in the second game IMO. Though the second part has its own different set of challenges.

Then again.. maybe I'm just imagining all of this ;>_>

No that, bad boss is a bastard.  Always has been.

Every version I've played I dreaded that boss fight.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

MisterCrash

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 12:17:35 PM »
When I played Ys I & II Chronicles on the PSP, I started off a game on Hard difficulty. I figured that having passed the game a dozen times on multiple platforms, I should be OK. I got to the bat boss, and spent fifteen minutes trying to beat him, but couldn't do it. I leveled myself to the max, made sure I had the best equipment I could get, and tried again. After another hour of trying to beat him, I never got him down below 1/3 health. I ended up abandoning the game and starting over on Normal difficulty.