Author Topic: Watchmojo's Top 10 Retro Gaming YouTubers  (Read 1468 times)

esteban

Re: Watchmojo's Top 10 Retro Gaming YouTubers
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 01:40:52 PM »
Well, I'm sure we all know the experience, we see a video title:

"Top 10 _______ OF ALL TIME!"

and think "Great!" and sit down to watch it.

And the items in the list are from 2016, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2013, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2004, and... 1985.

Hahahhahahajjha.  Super Mario Bros.

And the kicker is that many of the contemporary games will not age well, and won't necessarily be considered "classics" 10-20 years from now.

|    | 

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »
f*ck johntron, he's so lameass boring. His acting is worse than Pat's. 2nd place? What cock did he have to suck to get that high in the ranking.
Metaljesus, never watched that show, and this list didn't do any good to get me interested.
Ahoy is OK for his Quake and Doom videos. His gun videos are interesting too. But his smart-arse pseudo documentary voice gets on the nerves quick.
Pat and AVGN are just in the list because people would expect them to be there.
And Gamesack? Who the hell are they anyway?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:15:27 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Otaking

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 12:04:58 AM »
I watch the odd Watchmojo video every now and then, but I wouldn't say I was a big fan of the channel or anything. This thread was started as more of a commentary on the extra exposure and subs that retro games channels would receive from being on the list, in general with youtubers their total subscribers seems like a really big thing to them.

What an incredibly hollow concept.

Great, I'm depressed now.

What's most pathetic about stuff like this is that there is honestly a TON of incredibly good shit on YouTube. I watch it constantly. I recently discovered AvN and Synthesizer Dave, both amazing. The idea of a crappy game wall show with enough clout to make or break 10 of the 10 million other shitty game wall shows with some kind of...award game wall show or something is like...who f*cking cares?! Especially in 2016, where there aren't even 10 good game developers left.

Wankery, pure and simple.
I'm suprised at this response as Pat and your's channel made the list, think of all the new subscribers to the Pat and Ian of Zeta channel.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 12:09:31 AM by Otaking »

esteban

Watchmojo's Top 10 Retro Gaming YouTubers
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 01:10:19 AM »
I watch the odd Watchmojo video every now and then, but I wouldn't say I was a big fan of the channel or anything. This thread was started as more of a commentary on the extra exposure and subs that retro games channels would receive from being on the list, in general with youtubers their total subscribers seems like a really big thing to them.

What an incredibly hollow concept.

Great, I'm depressed now.

What's most pathetic about stuff like this is that there is honestly a TON of incredibly good shit on YouTube. I watch it constantly. I recently discovered AvN and Synthesizer Dave, both amazing. The idea of a crappy game wall show with enough clout to make or break 10 of the 10 million other shitty game wall shows with some kind of...award game wall show or something is like...who f*cking cares?! Especially in 2016, where there aren't even 10 good game developers left.

Wankery, pure and simple.
I'm suprised at this response as Pat and your's channel made the list, think of all the new subscribers to the Pat and Ian of Zeta channel.

I concur, GameSack will probably gain a lot of viewers...even if a percentage lose interest, some of the new folks will subscribe and become part of the GameSack family. And I am sure, for GameSack, it could represent a *significant* number of viewers (since they do not have—yet—millions of subscribers). :)

However, the more interesting aspect is that it highlights inherent problems in YouTube/Google itself...and how content creators and viewers are affected by Google's need to monetize, need to retain content creators, need to pay content creators as little as possible, need to recommend a stream of videos (remember, auto-recommendations + AUTOPLAY is, by design, a way to increase ad views...to impress corporate advertisers)... has watchmojo *ever* recommended a channel that produces *amazing content* that is published sporadically/rarely (but is *best in class*)? No. Advertisers, and Google, want *serialized* content with guaranteed audiences... no different than Old Media.

That's why the topic shifted very quickly...we are all irked by the institutional/structural incentives at Google that push "watchmojo" to the forefront.

I think that we were hoping, 20 years ago, for this medium (interwrbz) to be an improvement over older forms of media/distribution/entertainment.

Sadly, we realize now that all we have done is automate all the old bullshit into algorithms. So, we are faster, more efficient at promoting tripe. We encourage, reward folks for tripe... and punish them when popularity decreases. The fact that all recommendation engines/ad revenue/compensation is based solely on popularity...with quality of content being coincidental, at best, is a testament to how things have *not changed*... a few corporations control and influence what 99% of folks watch.

Watchmojo = a physical manifestation of Google's algorithms, self-reinforcing ad nauseum.

Isn't it sad that *this* is how Game Sack's viewership might increase?

This is like Fox News or Bloomberg News promoting Game Sack...

Sure, we are happy that GameSack can benefit... but how can we ignore everything that led to this moment?

We can't.

:)

Don't worry, we still love you.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:18:21 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Bloufo

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 02:45:21 AM »
And Gamesack? Who the hell are they anyway?

Don't quote me but I think they might be this lot.

:P

Joe Redifer

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 05:35:54 AM »
^Great frame grab. The girlfriend is for later.

We didn't gain massively from the video. Nobody ever really does. These videos don't get a ton of views. We did see an increase for a couple of days but it wasn't massive. I certainly won't complain about being included but what they showed is not what I'd show uninitiated viewers right away. Instead, they picked one episode, downloaded it and pulled clips from the middle and end of it.

Honestly videos like these are better for smaller channels. AVGN? Yeah everyone knows who he is. These videos should feature smaller, more unknown channels.

sirhcman

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 06:37:42 AM »
Honestly videos like these are better for smaller channels. AVGN? Yeah everyone knows who he is. These videos should feature smaller, more unknown channels.

Like this:

blueraven

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 06:55:36 AM »
I don't watch retrogaming shows. I saw one episode of AvN a few years ago and that was enough.

Guess I'll just sit here and watch this thread turn into a vomitorium.

[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

MrBroadway

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2016, 07:24:42 AM »
I don't watch retrogaming shows. I saw one episode of AvN a few years ago and that was enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vomitorium

Groover

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2016, 10:48:09 AM »
Good to see Game Sack, only I would have it much higher on the list. Also I don't know about the rest of the list. Some I'm not to sure about. Everyone loves lists

nopepper

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »
I didn't make the list?  Bullshit video.

I agree.

CGR, Gamesack, My life in gaming, retrocore, turbo views and CGQ are the cream of the crop.

Metal Jesus is a likable buffoon and his videos are sometimes interesting, but he is just such an ignorant dork sometimes, it's hard not to roll your eyes at sme of his comments.

Happy console gamer is sort of like metal Jesus, but more knowledgable while being less entertaining, for some reason.

TheClash603

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »

When I look for a game video on YouTube and someone starts talking, I immediately turn it off and try to find a video that just shows the game with its actual in game audio.  I occasionally will need to click on 2 or 3 videos before I am successful and it drives me f*cking nuts.

Almost as bad is when I want to see some gameplay and it is just a video of the intro or cinematics, hate that shit too.

bartre

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2016, 03:52:59 PM »
When I look for a game video on YouTube and someone starts talking, I immediately turn it off and try to find a video that just shows the game with its actual in game audio.  I occasionally will need to click on 2 or 3 videos before I am successful and it drives me f*cking nuts.

Sadly that puts you and I in the minority.
My younger cousin and I were talking games and I wanted to show her something about an arcade game I had coming so I pulled up a longplay video for it and her response was "why would anyone bother to upload a video without commentary? why would you watch that? like, what's the point?"

I had to explain to her that I find most of these "personalities" on YT annoying at best.
IDGAF who the guy in the video corner is, I don't want to listen to them crack jokes that weren't funny when I was in high school.

HOWEVER-
I do find it at least somewhat interesting when the person is trying to do something interesting, like a speedrun, as long as they're talking about what's going on within the game, IE - how certain glitches work.

blueraven

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2016, 04:04:40 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vomitorium

Yes, I'm using the misinterpretation of the term. Purposefully.

Almost as bad is when I want to see some gameplay and it is just a video of the intro or cinematics, hate that shit too.

I couldn't agree more.

Agreed. Sadly.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Punch

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2016, 04:38:47 PM »

My younger cousin and I were talking games and I wanted to show her something about an arcade game I had coming so I pulled up a longplay video for it and her response was "why would anyone bother to upload a video without commentary? why would you watch that? like, what's the point?"

can someone throw a meteor on earth please thanks in advance