Author Topic: Magical Chase Turbo VS PCE  (Read 556 times)

Black Tiger

Magical Chase Turbo VS PCE
« on: September 27, 2006, 07:03:50 AM »
I finished the first version of my page detailing the differences between the TG-16 and PCE versions of Magical Chase.

http://superpcenginegrafx.com/dare_to_compare_mc.html

This may be most or all of the differences, but I'm waiting to hear back from my good friend over at VGDen to determine if the reprint and original PC Engine MC's are actually different(basically if there is more than one variant of PCE rom).

If so, then the reprint is an evolutionary step towards the Turbo version and the original's graphics were almost completely retouched.

There's a split screen video below all the screenshots which compares Stage 1 of both versions.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Jammaniaclord

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 09:38:05 AM »
i LOVE LOVE LOVE this cute-em up!!!!!!!!!!! Both versions are great to have in your collection. For such an incredible hu-card game, i was very let down by the ending.
PC Cocoron Hunter

Digi.k

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 09:39:32 AM »
In regards to the first level. I prefer the Jp one simply because it relates to the boss much better,  the lego-like background fits the theme and boss: Cubolygon  IMO.

But I agree all the changes that were made looks better on the USA version.  Thank goodness they didnt mess with the music!!

I 've owned the japan version two ~ three times in the past.. but all the ones I've bought were the first print.. i just don't like the new packaging in the reprinted ver...

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 12:11:27 PM »
Outstanding work, Justin! I never realized that the first level even had different enemies nor that the main sprite was any different. And everything else is just amazingly different.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

guyjin

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 12:18:22 PM »
Feel free to disregard my opinion, since I've never played either game.

I think I prefer the PC Engine version, mostly. I can understand the boss being a polygonal box in the PCE version, but in the Turbo version he doesn't fit in with the rest of the level.

I also prefer the more anime-esqe sprite from the PCE version, but I think the bushy yellow broom was an improvement. Also, I like the US version's pumpkin baloon shop, rather than the golden baloon - makes more sense given the shopkeeper.

Now I wanna hack together a rom that uses the best bits of both versions  :D
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 12:37:23 PM »
Speaking of the stage 1 differences, it's crazy how color itself plays a major role in territorial changes because of how each region sees a color differently.

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 12:56:24 PM »
Although the colored bricks better suit Cubolygon, the castle theme better suits the gremlin/tinman-rocket boss. The pumpkin shop also fits in with the handdrawn castle bg.

I like the little warning signs on the colored bricks.

Both versions are great and although I love the music, any alternatives would've been fine if they were good, because it'd still be an alternative.

The gremlin sprite definately better suits the castle bg and the colored block guy better suits the PCE version. Personally, I like the way the rest of the enemies go with the castle bg better overall.

Both ripple sprites are cool. Again, it's nice to have a reason to own both versions.

I still have to watch the videos I've recorded of each game to pick out any more changes.

I can't say for sure, but the PC Engine version seems to be easier overall and the enemies seem to have lower defense.

Quote from: "Jammaniaclord"
i LOVE LOVE LOVE this cute-em up!!!!!!!!!!! Both versions are great to have in your collection. For such an incredible hu-card game, i was very let down by the ending.

Yeah, I'm assuming that's Ripple's house? They sure went the full cart-game route, cramming in as much as they could into the actual game and that's it.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Tatsujin

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 01:13:09 PM »
thx a lot tiger^^

accidently just yesterday i played the US version on magic engine just to compare the BGs.

nice work, tiger  :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 03:35:57 PM »
I'm giving the edge to the American one, ohhhhh yeah.  8)
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Odonadon

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 04:51:35 PM »
I've never been crazy about this game (or thrilled about cute 'em ups in general), but I'm gonna have to agree with Keranu.  The Turbo version looks like it has better graphics overall in the comparison and I would rather play it.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 06:30:40 PM »
The TurboGrafx-16 version blows away the wimpy PC Engine version.  The reason they made the changes is because they wanted it to suck a bit less ass.  Mission accomplished!

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 06:36:34 PM »
Turbo Power! POWER UP!

POWER PLUS !

Tatsujin

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 09:40:01 PM »
calm down guys :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 10:14:31 PM »
Tatsujin, download this video to see what I mean http://www.superpcenginegrafx.com/turbo_promo_2.avi :D . Here's the link for other formats of the video http://www.superpcenginegrafx.com/video.html .

Tatsujin

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 10:36:59 PM »
no, i agree with you, just like digging to you guys! :P

but for the title screen font, i like much more the way of the jap. version ;)
www.pcedaisakusen.net