Author Topic: Favorite Bonk soundtrack?  (Read 872 times)

gex

Favorite Bonk soundtrack?
« on: December 06, 2016, 06:52:27 AM »
I'm probably heavily biased because of nostalgia but, I can't get enough Bonk. Reading there was a Bonk's RPG in progress made me extremely anxious to learn more. Obviously it never came out, and years later when i got into PCE I was disappointed to learn that it never even was released in JPN.

But ANNNYYYWWAAYS what's everyones favourite soundtrack from a bonk game? Mine is personally from Bonk's Adventure climbing king Drools tower. Never played Bonk 3 on CD, so maybe i'm missing out there.

Here's a utube link of mine:

https://youtu.be/Ta44E3DbQeQ?list=PLrCJhUnNDeP19_WhyZlgxJW7uwhn0JXiH

KingDrool

Re: Favorite Bonk soundtrack?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 07:12:09 AM »
My (worthless) opinion: Bonk 3 CD soundtrack is trash. Gimme the original tunes. I love the first game's soundtrack and can hum nearly any level on command.

Ba-ba-BAH Bah, Bah Bah BaBAHHH Bah.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:15:58 AM by jlued686 »
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 07:15:01 AM »
I love all four.  Bonk's Adventure probably has the best chip tunes; Bonk's Revenge has great ones as well, but some of its tunes are recycled from the first outing; Bonk's Big Adventure has all new chippy tunes, but they're not as memorable as Adventure's; and except for a couple stages that have loud and repetitive atmospheric sounds, I really like the Bonk 3 CD tunes, though most people think they suck.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

lukester

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:43:39 AM »
The first one, nice mix of catchy and atmosphere

spenoza

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 01:45:36 PM »
I like the soundfont from the first game and it's delightfully atmospheric, but I think I like some of the Bonk's Revenge tunes better.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

gheebee

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 03:27:02 PM »
I guess Bonk's Revenge since almost any time I think of Bonk I usually think of the music from the beginning of the game, the boss fight music sounds pretty cool too. The first game had a good soundtrack but the second stuck with me more and I'm not familiar enough with the third game to really recall any of the music from either version.

esteban

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 05:07:12 PM »
I think Bonk 1 > Bonk 2 (overall), but I have to compare the first two to see if I am remembering things wrong... But I love the tunes from the first two games.

:)
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 07:29:59 PM »
Bonk 2.  However, recently I've been highly considering recomposing the Bonk 3 CD soundtrack(no fluff, just do the tunes without extra mixed in), to make it sound like it's using a souped up version of the sound engine from the first 2 games.  I kind of wonder, how hard it would be to hack Bonk 3 CD so that I could also make renditions of the bonus stage tunes, & maybe even the end stage, boss defeated, & invincibility tunes.  However, those last 3 might be totally impractical, as they would required extra loading that might get annoying, especially the invincible tune.  IF I was able to do those however, I probably wouldn't do the tunes from Bonk 3, but rather, redo the ones that are in the first 2 games.  Those tunes never should've changed thruout the series IMO.

Bonknuts

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 08:45:24 AM »
I like what Bonk 1 and 2 do with the sound chip; those trumpet sounds are great, but I'm not sure why only the bonk games used them.

ccovell

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 10:07:30 AM »
Dungeon Explorer also uses that "trumpet" sound.  Any game composed by Macco most likely does on the PC-Engine.

exodus

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 10:37:01 AM »
mine is this:

(note, pretty sure OP means your favorite bonk music track, not which of the games has the best music)

esteban

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 12:16:08 PM »
mine is this:

(note, pretty sure OP means your favorite bonk music track, not which of the games has the best music)

Aha! Favorite track.

That's a nice track... "Icy Winter" ....I remember putting that on my old flip phone as a MIDI file.

|    | 

airzonkrulz

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 12:26:40 PM »
I enjoy Bonk's Revenge Music- Relax (Level Theme One)

Fun thread! - Best wishes - Ron

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 07:47:59 PM »
I like what Bonk 1 and 2 do with the sound chip; those trumpet sounds are great, but I'm not sure why only the bonk games used them.

That, and the bongo's. I love those things.  Bonk 3 would've benefitted so much from that engine!  The bongo's in Bonk 3....just don't do it for me. 

johnnykonami

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 11:45:52 PM »
I spent a lot of time playing Bonk's Adventure as it was one of 3 games that I owned at the time, so I'm definitely fond of the music there.  The boss music pops into my head first when I remember it now.  In revenge, I love it all but that first stage with the waterfalls is definitely my favorite.  It's just so peaceful.