Author Topic: System Card Warning Messages  (Read 768 times)

Black Tiger

System Card Warning Messages
« on: September 29, 2006, 10:22:41 PM »
I made a page with over 100 CD System Card Warning screens, many of which are animated.

http://superpcenginegrafx.com/system_card_warning_warehouse.html

The lame ones have been weeded out and stuck into their own section.

The rest are divided by Super CD, Arcade CD, SuperGrafx and PC-FX.

At the very bottom you'll find screen shots of each of the System Cards themselves.

There were a lot of games that I couldn't get to work in Magic Engine and the Yame that I used only spit out unusable bitmaps. But I'll continue to add more games in the future.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 11:40:33 PM »
That's pretty cool.  I always put each Super CD-ROM game or higher into the TurboGrafx-16 CD System Card just to see what happens.  It would be cool if the Arcade Card games had different screens for the Super CD-ROM and TG-16 CD cards.  I like how the warning screen for Shadow of the Beast is in high resolution.  I feel like I am watching HDTV when I see that because the resolution is so high!

Can you put a TG-16 System Card into a TurboDuo to get the same effects?

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 12:07:07 AM »
Awesome work again, Justin.

I especially love this one:

Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 03:11:59 AM »
Quote from: "Joe Redifer"
That's pretty cool.  I always put each Super CD-ROM game or higher into the TurboGrafx-16 CD System Card just to see what happens.  It would be cool if the Arcade Card games had different screens for the Super CD-ROM and TG-16 CD cards.  I like how the warning screen for Shadow of the Beast is in high resolution.  I feel like I am watching HDTV when I see that because the resolution is so high!

Yes, you can put a TG-CD System 2.01 HuCard into a DUO and it will boot up like your TG-CD :)
  |    | 

FM-77

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 03:19:05 AM »
Very cool! Good work! I especially like the YsIV and Popful Mail screens (duh would fit in here). :wink:  Does YsIII or Ys1-2 feature similiar error messages?

esteban

Re: System Card Warning Messages
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 03:24:05 AM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
I made a page with over 100 CD System Card Warning screens, many of which are animated.

http://superpcenginegrafx.com/system_card_warning_warehouse.html
Awesome, the old page at darkcityproductions was never animated, IIRC, and hasn't been updated in ages!

I'm glad you are continuing with this project, because I've been curious about tons of titles I don't own. Rock on, Black_Tiger :)

EDIT: It occurred to me that folks might also want to see Darkman's System Card Warning Screens

There aren't too many overlaps, so it's worth checking out.
  |    | 

Black Tiger

Re: System Card Warning Messages
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 05:10:55 AM »
Quote from: "Seldane"
Very cool! Good work! I especially like the YsIV and Popful Mail screens (duh would fit in here). :wink:  Does YsIII or Ys1-2 feature similiar error messages?

I think the Xanadu ones are also two of the nicest looking and the PCE Dragon Slayer one is probably the best one all round, becuase of how interactive it is.

Unfortunately, the other Ys games are on the lowest format(CD-ROM2), so there isn't any kind of warning message you can find. Otherwise, I'd already have another 100 pics up.

Quote from: "stevek666"
Awesome, the old page at darkcityproductions was never animated, IIRC, and hasn't been updated in ages!

I'm glad you are continuing with this project, because I've been curious about tons of titles I don't own. Rock on, Black_Tiger :)

EDIT: It occurred to me that folks might also want to see Darkman's System Card Warning Screens

There aren't too many overlaps, so it's worth checking out.

That's weird that darkcity's Kabuki Itouryoden got a different picture than I did. That Kabuki pose is what I was looking for(from memory) when I fired it up, but all I could find was Radaman Ank(or whatever his name is). Maybe it random...

I actually tried to get screens shots from half of the unique titles on that page, but couldn't get them to work through emulation and didn't want to throw in random captured pics(except for the SuperGrafx one, which I could only get to on real hardware).

If anyone is a fan of Dragon Slayer and for some reason hasn't picked up the dirt cheap PC Engine version, the System Card warning message opens up a soundtest and battle preview mode with lots of cool art.

That's how I first discovered the System Card messages. I don't know if it was the same across North America, but where I lived, they released the first Super CD games weeks/months before the system.

So of course, I couldn't help myself and bought Shape Shifter right away. My RPG-loving friend bought Dragon Slayer, which had a cool warning, but it would've been a lot cooler if it didn't have all the stuff cut from the PCE version.

The first thing I did when I got my first Arcade CD game was to try it without the Arcade Card.  :)

I like how the warning screen for Shadow of the Beast is in high resolution. I feel like I am watching HDTV when I see that because the resolution is so high!

The intro of the game jumps back and forth between 512 and 336 width images before settling into the actual game which sadly appears to be entirely 256 x 224.

It sure would be cool to see a quality PC Engine game made at this resolution, designed to be viewed on a widescreen.

Quote from: "Keranu"

I actually snapped a lot more frames for that one and most of the other animated gif's, but cut them down when I animated them to keep the file sizes small since it quickly became clear how many images I was going to end up with on a single page.

But looking at it again for the first time in years, the full screen fmv in Madden actually looked really good(for it's time). Too bad we never got to see anything better in that format(like say, an anime cinema).

guyjin

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 07:05:08 AM »
I'd never seen the turbografx CD system screen - it's nice :)

You don't have a picture of the ACD card screen - does it not have one? or do you not have an ACD card to use?

Last but not least, what were the differences between the PCEngine's 1.0, 2.0, and 2.1? were there any games that were incompatible with these? Why didn't america get 2.1 (or did we?)
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 07:20:30 AM »
Quote from: "guyjin"
I'd never seen the turbografx CD system screen - it's nice :)

You don't have a picture of the ACD card screen - does it not have one? or do you not have an ACD card to use?

Last but not least, what were the differences between the PCEngine's 1.0, 2.0, and 2.1? were there any games that were incompatible with these? Why didn't america get 2.1 (or did we?)

The original 1.0 System Card that came with the PC Engine CD-ROM had the CD player built in, but it couldn't play CD+G's.

2.0 added CD+G support and maybe a few other minor tweaks. I forget what the difference with 2.1 was. I beleive that it had something to do with managing save files or something.

I've never found an Arcade Card Pro rom before. The Arcade Card Duo doesn't change the Duo's System 3.0 screen.

Does anyone have an Arcade Card Pro? If so, does it have a unique title screen? I've always assumed it didn't since I've never seen any mention of it or a screen shot.

Either way, I'm tempted to buy a 'Pro to see if I can use my PCE flash card to read it to my PC and then boot it up in Magic Engine to see if it'll play games like Strider better.

bt

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 07:38:33 AM »
Does anyone have an Arcade Card Pro? If so, does it have a unique title screen? I've always assumed it didn't since I've never seen any mention of it or a screen shot.

No it does not. (pcecp.com has the shots you are looking for, by the way).

Either way, I'm tempted to buy a 'Pro to see if I can use my PCE flash card to read it to my PC and then boot it up in Magic Engine to see if it'll play games like Strider better.

I highly doubt that this would work... first off, you'd need a flash card that is
20 megabits... additionally, it would have to be read/wriatable in the PCE.

I am not saying it would be impossible, but I would be highly suspicious of
any claims that it can be done with readily available products

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 07:56:58 AM »
Quote from: "bt"

No it does not. (pcecp.com has the shots you are looking for, by the way).

I highly doubt that this would work... first off, you'd need a flash card that is
20 megabits... additionally, it would have to be read/wriatable in the PCE.

I am not saying it would be impossible, but I would be highly suspicious of
any claims that it can be done with readily available products

I forgot that this one has the programmer built in. I was thinking about the images I'd seen of the other flash carts on the tototek site.

Oh well, I'd still like to find a rom of the 'Pro to see if it'll help.

BonkThis

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 11:54:10 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"

awesome page...

i dont know if im in the minority but I think madden for the duo is awesome. its actually the madden that hooked me on madden.

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 01:30:32 PM »
Black_Tiger, just to let you know that Malducci on these boards made a Super Grafx demo that also has a error screen when you try to load it with PCE hardware and it's quite cool. I believe it's for his latest trasparency one with the Link to the Past graphics. Look on the development page on the Magic Engine forums to check it out more.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 10:31:47 AM »
Hmm nice i should save a few for fun.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

cavein2000

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 12:06:36 PM »
Yeah, that is very cool!!  Nice job!  What I kind of like about it is that you can see a pic from many games on one page - It would be cool if someone could do a page like yours using gameplay screens, so you could just fly through an entire catalog of PCE/TG16 game screenshots!!  I use the PCECP images to check out games sometimes, but it would be really nice to have it like this!
What a horrible night to have a curse...