Author Topic: best turbo sports games?  (Read 588 times)

AlexKidd

best turbo sports games?
« on: October 02, 2006, 09:28:48 PM »
I have a decent amount of turbo grafx sports games sitting around. Mostly they came in lots with other games or systems I wanted and i've never really gotten around to playing them. I've heard that most of the sports titles on the system suck but i'd like some second opinions.

I know i've got the following games. There are probably some i'm forgetting though:

World Class Baseball
Davis Cup Tennis
Power Golf
TV Sports football
TV Sports basketball
takin' it to the hoop
world court tennis
champions forever boxing

If you guys could tell me which of these or any other turbo sports games are worth playing that'd be cool. They'd be nice to pass the time with while i'm waiting for the stuff i really want to play to come in the mail.

Keranu

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 10:14:55 PM »
Personally, I think the sports games for the Turbo are quite fun and I'll take them over a licensed sport game any day. My thoughts on your games:

World Class Baseball - Excellent baseball game! If you're into old skool baseball video games, you'll feel right at home in this one. The game has a great feel and is a blast on two players.

Davis Cup Tennis - I never got much into this game, though some people think it's a great game. I prefer Final Match Tennis for PCE.

Power Golf - I've only played this game once and it was very briefly, so I can't really remember it. I have the Japanese version, maybe I should load it up soon.

TV Sports Football - Haven't played this one much either, it just seems like basic football mumbo jumbo. I'm not into football, so that's probably why I don't ever play this game.

TV Sports Basketball - A person on these boards by the name of doom something (doomspear is it? doomfrayer?) is a huge fan of this game and he made a thread about it before incase you want to look it up. I need to get this game to play it more, so all I can say is it seems like an ok basketball game.

Takin' It To The Hoop - I actually have a lotta fun with this game, though it gets boring afterall. It's a very fun little game to play for a quarter and it's simple to pick up and play.

World Court Tennis - The tennis mechanics of this game are pretty plain and I've got no problem with that personally. What really makes this game interesting is the RPG quest mode which is rather hilarious.

Champions Forever Boxing - There are only two boxing games I like: Punch-Out games and K.O. Boxing (DOS). Other than that, I usually don't like them. This game has the same clunky gameplay that turns the quick gamer off. However the title screen song is awesome and the graphics are kind of cool, though cheesy, if I remember. I recommend Digital Champ for PCE, which is decent.

Other sports games that I would recommend:

Battle Royale - OK I understand this game may seem like the mega cheese, but it's really fun! Just like boxing games, I can't stand wrestling games for the most part because the controls take too long to get used too and just don't feel comfortable. The controls in this game however are a breeze and is a incredible experience when you play this game with four other players :D . My avatar comes from my favorite character of the game, Spitfire Spike, but all of the characters are unique and great. Hilarious, easy, and pure fun; what more do you want? ;)

Digital Champ - I know I said I only like a couple boxing games, but this one is fun too sort of. It's a little hard to play at first, but it's entertaining when you get used to it and win a couple of fights. The graphics are cool too. (and the cover)

Dodge Danpei - Okay well maybe this isn't so sports-ish, but sue me :D . This game is more of a RPG and the dodge ball battles depend more on tactics than actual sport mechanics. However it's an excellent and really fun game to play and is definitely a PCE game that could use a lot more attention.

Final Match Tennis - A simple, competitive, and downright FUN tennis game!

Fire Pro Wrestling 1 through 3 - I'm not into these games myself, but I believe some people like those Pro Wrestling games. What I do really like about them are the awesome characters :D .

Kunio Kun Soccer - I'm not really into soccer games except Soccer for Atari 2600 and Mega Man Soccer, but I find this game to be rather fun. It's got a few neat manuveurs you can do on the field that come in handy and add extra fun to the game and stars your favorite Kunio characters.

Power League II through V - The first Power League is World Class Baseball in America. It doesn't seem like the gameplay changes much in the sequels, but the graphics and sound get more impressive, so give them a try.

World Sports Competion - I love olympic games like this and Track and Field for NES, though I'm not sure what other people think of them. It's loaded with a variety of fun little games to play and it keeps me entertained when I play it once a year or whenever. I also highly recommend choosing the black athelete with the hot pink suit.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 11:12:07 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"

Davis Cup Tennis - I never got much into this game, though some people think it's a great game. I prefer Final Match Tennis for PCE.

best tennis game ever made :D (and i'm totally not intressted in such kind of games normally).
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

doomfarer75

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 05:30:54 AM »
Keranu is correct.

TVS Basketball is the end-all of video basketball games...My buddy uses the Outlaws..I use the Shadows. It is highly entertaining, but also has some terrible flaws that you just need to accept as unique.  

The designers programmed themselves into the game with some ridiculous nicknames and it's quite funny...names like Burnin Wang.

why does every game on the market these days need to be endorsed?  damn our brand-dependent culture. I can't play a game without Kobe in it...
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com

Odonadon

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 06:27:36 AM »
A list of best games in certain genres was already covered pretty thoroughly in this thread:

http://pcenginefx.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2139&sid=f275ef6bbe1146dcb7320e702d18dfc5

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Black Tiger

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 06:48:50 AM »
The only Turbo/PCE sports game I've played enough of to judge is John Madden Duo CD Football.

I don't like watching sports or playing sports games, but I gave Madden a chance because it was a CD game with fmv and I happened to get sucked into it.

The graphics aren't as good as they should be, but it's still a decent game.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 11:43:57 AM »
I've actually been wanting to play MADDEN DUO CD FOOTBALL for some years and I hate football. The ingame graphics kinda look cool from what I've seen, I keep thinking it looks a little 3D-ish. I mainly just want to play it for the FMV like you said and graphics alone. There was someone on this board that was a fan of DUO CD FOOTBALL.

Call me crazy, but I think Turbo is one of the best consoles for sports games, right along with Atari 2600, Intellivision, NES, and Genesis.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 11:54:10 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I've actually been wanting to play MADDEN DUO CD FOOTBALL for some years and I hate football. The ingame graphics kinda look cool from what I've seen, I keep thinking it looks a little 3D-ish. I mainly just want to play it for the FMV like you said and graphics alone. There was someone on this board that was a fan of DUO CD FOOTBALL.

Call me crazy, but I think Turbo is one of the best consoles for sports games, right along with Atari 2600, Intellivision, NES, and Genesis.

The ending credits for Madden are reasonably long from what I remember and they use the same full screen fmv as the system card warning message.

Of course, if I remember correctly, it's all outakes plus a zooming shot of the building where the game was developed. But it still makes playing through the game worthwhile.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 11:56:19 AM »
Hey that sounds pretty cool actually. Now I have a somewhat decent reason to get this game, even though my family (who are anti-football) would probably still kill me if they found out I bought a Madden game on purpose.  :roll:

GUTS

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 02:00:17 PM »
Hey Super Tecmo Bowl is still awesome today, and I f*cking hate sports games in general, so there are some that transcend the genre and are legitimately fun games.  I've thought about buying Madden on the Duo also just for the novelty of it, it's like the only madden ever made that's still worth more than $1 a year after it comes out.  Plus those old football games were actually pretty fun 2 player, they're a good way to kill half an hour.  Especially if you're playing with someone who doesn't play games often since the controls are very simple and you don't have to spend 20 minutes explaining how to play like with newer sports games.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Duo CD?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 02:51:31 PM »
Dude- I totally LOVE Duo CD Football!

It has basically the same engine as JOhn Madden '93 for Genny.

But it has NO NFL licensing(Which isn't really a big deal).

The FMV's are friggin hilarious!  The guys they have in the celebration FMV's are SO out of place it makes the game just funny to play! The FMV's have some dude in a Uniform that doesn't match any team on the game!

Usually when my buds and I play it we joke about all sorts of inside jokes!  Everytime one of us scores that crazy guy comes running on the field again!  The more we score the more he runs onto the field and celebrates!  We often wonder how poor the security is at the stadium.

Anyway- Off track! lol
The grafx are smokin' hot, the music is VERY worthy of a classic SCD game, and the gameplay and controls are good enough to make this the BEST sports title avaliable on the Turbo Duo!

Highly recommended- Blows away TV Sports Football

TurboSage

BTW- Yes the ending is AWESOME!!!  and the intro FMV when you let the title screen sit for a few seconds is pretty sweet too!

<cheap plug>PS: we will have to play some JMDCF at next years TurboFest '07 </cheap plug>

TR0N

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 02:59:23 PM »
I'm not a huge sports fan period  :oops:

About the only sports game care for on the system is Hit The Ice.

Nuff said.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

nodtveidt

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 04:20:14 PM »
I detest most sports but I did have some fun with Davis Cup Tennis because of all the funky samples in it. :)

SignOfZeta

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 05:13:14 PM »
So, wait...you have these games...and you want us to tell you what ones are worth sticking in the machine and playing? I don't get it...

ParanoiaDragon

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 07:13:15 PM »
I hate sports games, from 32-bit on up.  Not that I'm a sports nut for any under 32-bit, but, give me Baseball for NES, & I'm happy!  Or Home Run for 2600!  John Madden for Turbo rocks.  Never been a fan of the plethora of games, but, I do enjoy this one!