Author Topic: Value in replacing functional laser unit?  (Read 380 times)

MobiusStripTech

Value in replacing functional laser unit?
« on: January 15, 2017, 11:49:04 PM »
Hey Guys,

I was just figuring I would ask the experts. What is the opinion on replacing the laser unit of a Duo R, or any CD unit for that matter, if the laser is functional. With many of these systems being quite old I was considering doing this as a sort of "preventative maintenance." Please share your thoughts/opinions.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Bloufo

Re: Value in replacing functional laser unit?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 12:39:58 AM »
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere

mickcris

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 01:12:30 AM »
Don't do it unless needed.  The "new" ones are knock offs made in China and may not last very long.  Duojindance puts new ones in lots of his consoles and I've heard of lots of them failing within a year.  But if you have a bad one, there's no other good option than to replace it

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 01:17:31 AM »
I assume that's if it ain't broke, don't fix it, which is sound advice.  Clean 'er up, lube the rails, adjust the pots, and call it good.

I could see swapping lasers if good quality, cheap blazing lazers were plentiful, but what's out there aren't all that cheap and are often DOA.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MobiusStripTech

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 01:19:16 AM »
That makes sense to me. I wasn't sure if there was any real advantage. I know "captain bubble wrap" does it on all his consoles, but I generally assume anything he does is a bad idea. I just didn't know if some of these new laser read CD-R's better or something. I am really wanting to try out that english translation Castlevania.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

falz

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 05:06:21 AM »
I just didn't know if some of these new laser read CD-R's better or something. I am really wanting to try out that english translation Castlevania.

I am hoping to find the answer to this as well for the exact same reason. (Without giving PCEworks $ for a pressed repro)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 08:07:32 AM »
For a game that has almost no dialogue it in whatsoever I wouldn't spend the effort. Xanadu? Sure. Not a CV game.

blueraven

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 09:47:40 AM »
DONT DO IT

I assume that's if it ain't broke, don't fix it, which is sound advice.  Clean 'er up, lube the rails, adjust the pots, and call it good.

I could see swapping lasers if good quality, cheap blazing lazers were plentiful, but what's out there aren't all that cheap and are often DOA.

For this reason.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

wildfruit

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 09:57:14 AM »
I just didn't know if some of these new laser read CD-R's better or something. I am really wanting to try out that english translation Castlevania.

I am hoping to find the answer to this as well for the exact same reason. (Without giving PCEworks $ for a pressed repro)
Don't bother.  I got one for $0 it took a lot longer to load than my own CD-R of drac x.