Author Topic: Turbo Express Turbo Buttons  (Read 293 times)

crazedbinary

Turbo Express Turbo Buttons
« on: January 21, 2017, 03:15:57 AM »
Whats up -

I recently recapped (all caps) and repaired some bad traces on an Express.  When I got the unit back together after good cleaning the I/II buttons were acting sporadic and the Turbo functions would not work at all.  At that point I looked on the control board and saw some corrosion. 

Cleaned up what I could (mmm fish) and did a similar repair as mentioned here:
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4238.0

I did the same repair but without drilling the board.  Now the I/II buttons work much better but I still have no turbo functions.  When I turn on the turbo functions the buttons just stop working.  I may need to reroute these as well but wanted some advice from the experts first.

Thanks for any assistance -

Crazedbinary

esteban

Turbo Express Turbo Buttons
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 07:57:38 AM »
The solution is simple:

(1) Plug TurboExpress into home stereo.
(2) On TE: Set *both* TurboSwitches to MAX
(3) On TE: Set Volume to MAX
(4) On stereo receiver: Set Volume to MAX
(5) Play any game. You will have a Wall of Sound accompanying you...and no longer rely on TurboSwitches as a crutch. 
(6) Praise the Lords of Thunder.

|    | 

crazedbinary

Re: Turbo Express Turbo Buttons
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 09:11:05 AM »
Thanks for the wonderful advice.  Any ideas on the turbo button repair?  My ears hurt now.  I dont use turbo but would like to restore this puppy.

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 07:27:32 PM »
Do both turbo settings not work? Meaning super fast and middle turbo fire functions? This problem is most likely bad traces on the motherboard. However, to first rule this out have you tried re-bending your sliders for the turbo functions? Overtime these can get bent out of place. Simply remove the sliders and bend the prongs upwards a bit so they are pushing towards the motherboard a bit more then re-assemble. 

ltpitt

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:37:17 PM »
Also cleaning with care the sliders and the rubber traces on the board is something I'd try.
I used this product on my contacts and it worked like a champion (5 dollars):
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=21777.0