Author Topic: Renny Blaster  (Read 414 times)

Black Tiger

Renny Blaster
« on: October 07, 2006, 08:45:08 AM »
I just put up video of Renny Blaster played through on both my site and YouTube.

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.com/rennyblaster.wmv

If you've wondered what all the fuss is about, now you can see for yourself.

Although I've always heard it compared to Dracula X, it's actually nothing like it and is similar to Kaze Kiri. You run down hallways clearing out enemies with a number of fighting moves before fighting a boss.

The theme does shamelessly rip off Castlevania in general though.

It feels like an unfinished game with awkward controls and almost no sound effects. The cinemas would've be poor quality during the first generation of CD2 games.

It's not total garbage though, but pricing it against other PC Engine titles, it shouldn't sell for more than $10.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

motdelbuort

Renny Blaster
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 09:55:07 AM »
Thanks for posting this! I kind of think it looks.... Good!  I like the pencilly art style of the cut scenes, and the game looks slow moving but fun.

esteban

Renny Blaster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 04:40:22 AM »
I can't wait to watch this video when I get a chance!
  |    | 

Odonadon

Renny Blaster
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 07:25:33 AM »
I don't get it.  Looks like a pretty mediocre game to me.  Some of the character and enemy animtions are just stupid, like when he swings his sword for example.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

SignOfZeta

Renny Blaster
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 07:57:44 AM »
There a few things to admire in this game. The western style cinema's for example. Those are pretty rare on PCE, so that's kind of interesting. Whoever did the art design obviously had a thing going because these are interesting charctors and stuff. That guy did his job.

The level design obviously sucks though, and why anyone would want to use Castlevania's style of climbing stairs is beyond me. The whole game  just comes off dorky.

Its better than a lot of other PCE games (Riot Zone, Deep Blue, and about 150 others) but, yeah, its worth about $10.

Until I came to this forum I had no idea people were paying big money for this game. How the hell did that ever happen? What sort of BS story did someone fabricate?

Black Tiger

Renny Blaster
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 08:11:11 AM »
Quote from: "SignOfZeta"
There a few things to admire in this game. The western style cinema's for example. Those are pretty rare on PCE, so that's kind of interesting. Whoever did the art design obviously had a thing going because these are interesting charctors and stuff. That guy did his job.

The level design obviously sucks though, and why anyone would want to use Castlevania's style of climbing stairs is beyond me. The whole game  just comes off dorky.

Its better than a lot of other PCE games (Riot Zone, Deep Blue, and about 150 others) but, yeah, its worth about $10.

Until I came to this forum I had no idea people were paying big money for this game. How the hell did that ever happen? What sort of BS story did someone fabricate?

The reason it goes for so much is because it's uber rare.

Also, over the years it's been used occasionally be some people as a reference to how good a PCE game can be and is often(every single time I've heard anyone mention it) said to be similar to Dracula X.

The thing is, no one who's ever bragged about the game would ever post any real screenshots or anything and there's almost nothing about it online.

The curiousity drove me crazy, since I just wanted to at least get a feel for what type of game it is and what it really looked like.

Which is why I made this video the same night that I finally managed to track down an iso of it. There's no way I'd drop hundreds of dollars on a game like this without at least knowing something about it first, but I had considered buying 16-bit's copy on eBay a couple of times (just to try it).  :)

I thought that the cinemas were extra japanese'ish. The art looks very similar to Castlevania's current artist, "what's-her-face".

thewestexit

Renny Blaster
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 10:37:02 AM »
Thanks a lot for posting this video.  In all my years this is one game that still eluded me, and it's great to finally see it in action.  Not that the game itself is that great ^^;;;  I really like the art and character design, but that's about it, the game looks clunky and boring... it reminds me of Genocide for some reason, albeit with slower action.
////////////////////////////////////////////////
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth
////////////////////////////////////////////////

Emerald Rocker

Renny Blaster
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 12:48:21 PM »
The game blows.  The cinema art is by whoever did the art for Snatcher.  The voices are super-famous people (the psychic dude is Shiozawa Kaneto).

Here are some awesome Renny Blaster cheat codes.

Look for a review (and screenshots) sometime in the not-so-distant future.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

radiantgun

Renny Blaster
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 03:44:33 AM »
Well you've saved me spending £175 on that game ! Cheers fellas !  :D

rolins

Renny Blaster
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 07:36:23 AM »
Great post Black Tiger. I've never saw pics of this game, but from the title I always thought it was a shooter. Don't feel like hunting down this game anymore.

Black Tiger

Renny Blaster
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 07:43:09 AM »
Quote from: "rolins"
Great post Black Tiger. I've never saw pics of this game, but from the title I always thought it was a shooter. Don't feel like hunting down this game anymore.

Years ago when I first heard of the game by name only, I found a single screen shot and thought that it might be a Rolling Thunder rip-off.  :)