Author Topic: Turbo express accessories  (Read 634 times)

vestcoat

Turbo express accessories
« on: October 09, 2006, 06:58:18 AM »
Anyone know anything about Turbo Express battery packs?  Apparently there was a not-too-good 3rd party one made years ago.  Is there anything on the market today or are there any battery packs for other systems that are compatible with the TE?  What do you guys do when you're away from the wall outlet/car adapter?

Also, can anyone confirm if a stereo cable can be used as a turbo link?

FYI:  In case you haven't checked their page for awhile, TZD is almost out of Express units and they're limiting them to 1 per costumer.  Coincidentally, there have been a number of brand new TE going for $200+ on Ebay recently.   :?

rolins

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 07:18:24 AM »
I heard it's possible to modify a Game Gear battery pack for use in a TE. But those are getting very old and their NiCad based. Not exactly the type of battery you want these days.

I've never seen the official TE battery pack, who know it one was ever made, it would extremely rare. The GT battery pack is the only one I've ever seen.

Pretty much if you want a battery pack for your TE, you can use a third party one. Any NiMH type pack with a 7.2volts with the proper adaptor connector should do. The mah rating should be >2800 and that should give you 2 to 3 hours of game time.

I used to know of a place where you could buy a compatible battery pack for the TE, but that place stopped making them. If you know anything about making rechargeable battery packs you could go down the DIY route. Basically soldering together 6 rechargeable AAs into a battery pack.

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 07:27:46 AM »
I've got a cool multi-portable battery pack that's works with Game Gear, Lynx and TE.

I'd still recommend rechargable batteries though. The best battery pack would probably only get you 3 hours tops and is the size of at least 3 sets of AA batteries.

I'd also like some hard info on a working substitute for the Turbolink cable.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 11:12:08 AM »
I've got this third party battery pack for PCE GT that I use for my Turbo Express that's made by some cheesy Chinese company and they also made one for Game Gear. It works pretty well for me so far, though I believe the box says the battery life is kind of low.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

grahf

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 05:43:01 PM »
Just use some nimh rechargables. They dont have the voltage dropoff that nicads did (maybe why nec recommended against nicad?). On a set of Energizer 2500mAh nihm batteries, I would estimate i get 3 hours of play time. Thats pretty awesome, considering I have a 8-bay charger (radioshack brand) that recharges them in 1.5 hours.

rolins

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 11:09:39 AM »
Lately I've been thinking about getting a TV tuner for my TE. It's something I've been meaning to buy for while. I'm on a budget here so I can't buy a brandnew one from TZD. So what do you guys think is good price for a used TV tuner?

Also, does anyone mind posting youtube clip of the TV tuner in action? I'm very curious what it will look like. Thanks.

torgo

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 05:16:07 AM »
It actually works quite well. I used it when I was waiting in line for Playoff tickets once. Battery life is quite good as well when you're only using it to watch TV.
PS Nation

vestcoat

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 05:20:53 AM »
Quote from: "grahf"
Just use some nimh rechargables. They dont have the voltage dropoff that nicads did (maybe why nec recommended against nicad?). On a set of Energizer 2500mAh nihm batteries, I would estimate i get 3 hours of play time. Thats pretty awesome, considering I have a 8-bay charger (radioshack brand) that recharges them in 1.5 hours.

How much can I expect that set-up to run me?

guyjin

Re: Turbo express accessories
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 07:18:08 AM »
Lately I've been thinking about getting a TV tuner for my TE. It's something I've been meaning to buy for while.

you've waited too long. The analog switchoff (assuming you're american) happens Feb. 17, 2009. after that date your TV tuner will be useless.
Do you really want to pay a lot of money for a device you will only be able to use, at best, for 3 more years? (it's the main reason I've never bothered getting a TV tuner for my game gear.)
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 09:51:40 AM »
you've waited too long. The analog switchoff (assuming you're american) happens Feb. 17, 2009. after that date your TV tuner will be useless.
Do you really want to pay a lot of money for a device you will only be able to use, at best, for 3 more years? (it's the main reason I've never bothered getting a TV tuner for my game gear.)
Oh crap, I didn't think about that for the Turbo Vision! I wonder if you can make any good use out of them in the future? Hopefully they'll at least go down in price.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 12:05:59 PM »
You can still use it to line in video from various sources to see how well the screen works and to experience what watching TV on the TE is like.

Back in the day I hooked my Turbo CD to it to see what CD games like Ys III would look like on the TE.

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 12:24:46 PM »
Yeah I was thinking of that, I would love to do that. My bro used to do that with his TV Tuner for Game Gear.

rolins

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 06:47:19 AM »
Lately I've been thinking about getting a TV tuner for my TE. It's something I've been meaning to buy for while.

Yes I do. I just want it so I can add it to my TE collection. Though it would be cool to watch TV on the airplane this winter.

You can still use it to line in video from various sources to see how well the screen works and to experience what watching TV on the TE is like.

Back in the day I hooked my Turbo CD to it to see what CD games like Ys III would look like on the TE.
How do you hookup a TV to the Turbo Express?

Black Tiger

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 07:37:11 AM »

Yes I do. I just want it so I can add it to my TE collection. Though it would be cool to watch TV on the airplane this winter.

How do you hookup a TV to the Turbo Express?

Do you mean a cable signal? Just run a RCA/headphone jack cable from your VCR or cable box to the A/V / line in hole on the Turbo Vision. Back in the day, I used a stereo to phono(?) adapter and just put video in one and audio into the other.

rolins

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 11:21:19 AM »
Do you mean a cable signal? Just run a RCA/headphone jack cable from your VCR or cable box to the A/V / line in hole on the Turbo Vision. Back in the day, I used a stereo to phono(?) adapter and just put video in one and audio into the other.
Does this require any soldering? Sorry, but I've have never seen a Turbo Vision in person.