Author Topic: SuperGrafx with broken board  (Read 569 times)

haightc

SuperGrafx with broken board
« on: March 26, 2017, 06:20:31 PM »
I have a supergrafx that has a broken PCB near the car slot.    Not sure how the circuit board got broken consider that outside looks fine.    I was hope I might be able to glue the board along the crack than maybe with some luck try re-joping the traces.    Any tips on saving this guy?

deubeul

Re: SuperGrafx with broken board
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 01:12:08 AM »
Hello, Welcome aboard!

The broken PCB thing is very common on SGX, because of the mount posts that make the PCB cracking from a minor bump.

I had the same problem, solved in this thread:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=20187.0

There are other threads that talk about the posts problem, the advice is generally to simply cut them.
You can try to do it, so there won't be any pressure point on the PCB anymore, but if it doesn't work, you'll have some solder work to do.

haightc

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:09:12 AM »
Well I time to start this system.   Fortunately the capacitors came out easy.   My crack is under the hucard slot. Unfortunately theses leads don't come as easily.   I got the first row out, but didn't have time to get the second row last night.

deubeul

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 01:40:18 AM »
Great, keep us update!
Could you post some pics too,  to see if your broken traces are the same as mine?

thesteve

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:19:58 AM »
under the slot is the common crack on those

haightc

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 06:19:41 AM »

I can't push the the opposing sides together I'll need to cut out some strain relief sections in the cracks before I can rejoin them.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:24:55 AM by haightc »

thesteve

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:39:37 PM »
you just need to flatten the board, then start jumpering traces
you want the trace jumpers as small as possible so they dont obstruct the work

mario_pic

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 05:19:17 PM »

I can't push the the opposing sides together I'll need to cut out some strain relief sections in the cracks before I can rejoin them.
use a locktight brand glue made for fiber and cloth it holds realy good plus not to agressive on the topcoat id sand down gently with 600g wet sand paper and then bridge ur gaps with single strand wire after that lay a thin layer if fiber over the pcb and brush on the locktight glue almost like fiber glassing   after that let it sit and the repair aill be strong as hell  worst case ill buy it if price is right and shell looks good
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 05:21:09 PM by mario_pic »