Author Topic: General CD Unit Question  (Read 348 times)

Gypsy

General CD Unit Question
« on: April 13, 2017, 08:25:08 AM »
So I was looking around at getting this extra Core Grafx I picked up recently into a set-up capable of playing CD games. I like the look of the Super CD-ROMĀ² but it seems like every listing I see for one, something is wrong. No sound, low sound, longer than normal read times, sometimes doesn't read cds etc... So I ask people much more experienced than myself, is this pretty common? Is it just a total piece of garbage or can it be reliable with proper care?

Also I know many will suggest a Duo, but I'd rather not. I already have this Core Grafx so I'd rather just pair it with a CD unit and then I'll be gifting it. I'm not completely opposed to it, but selling the Core Grafx is extra work.

Probably not doing this for a few months yet. When I do though, I might also be looking for some cheaper hueys and cds (racing games mainly) to go with it.

If mods feel this is in the wrong section, let me know. I wasn't fully sure.

choijimmy

Re: General CD Unit Question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 03:21:55 PM »
So I was looking around at getting this extra Core Grafx I picked up recently into a set-up capable of playing CD games. I like the look of the Super CD-ROMĀ² but it seems like every listing I see for one, something is wrong. No sound, low sound, longer than normal read times, sometimes doesn't read cds etc... So I ask people much more experienced than myself, is this pretty common? Is it just a total piece of garbage or can it be reliable with proper care?

Also I know many will suggest a Duo, but I'd rather not. I already have this Core Grafx so I'd rather just pair it with a CD unit and then I'll be gifting it. I'm not completely opposed to it, but selling the Core Grafx is extra work.

Probably not doing this for a few months yet. When I do though, I might also be looking for some cheaper hueys and cds (racing games mainly) to go with it.

If mods feel this is in the wrong section, let me know. I wasn't fully sure.

All super cdrom I got ( around 7 to 8 ) suffered low sound / unable to read cd.

For low ( not NO ) sounds, all of them can be repaired by changing the capacitors + washing the PCB ( yes, you have to wash the PCB around the power supply section ).

For unable to read cd, mostly due to capacitors as well. For few of them need to replace the laser lens which is very easy to find ( KSS-210A/B )

However, I got one with No sound ( No music cd audio but Hucard is fine ) which never be able to repair even I swap the chips , replace the cap, etc... just unable to fix it and give up.

In my opinion, super cdrom's laser lens is much easier to find ( compare to briefcase cdrom ). However, it suffered sound problem which is pretty annoying.  On the other hand, the briefcase cdrom normally only suffered middle gear issue which is easy to replace.  Well... unless the briefcase cdrom has laser lens issue ( KSS-220A ) which is very hard to find replacement.

If you are good in replacing the capacitors and PCB washing, Super cdrom is worth to try. Otherwise, briefcase cdrom may be better option.

Gypsy

Re: General CD Unit Question
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 03:38:14 PM »
Thank you very much for the detailed reply.

If you sell systems, I would definitely consider you, as a trusted source. Likely a few months away, but figured I would mention it.