Author Topic: Install faster CPU, will it work?  (Read 398 times)

choijimmy

Install faster CPU, will it work?
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »
I recently have laseractive Sega pac-s1 with broken 68000 8MHz CPU (HD68HC000FS8)   .  Once I swapped with my spare part(doner from another completely dead pac-s1),  it works fine now  :)

I would like to buy few HD68HC000FS8 for future use.  However,  the only one I can find is HD68HC000FS10 which I assume 10MHz.

Question: can I use 10MHz cpu instead of 8MHz one?  Thanks!

Abelardo

Re: Install faster CPU, will it work?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:34:20 AM »
In theory it should work, no? 10mhz is the max speed that it can run stable, lower speed shouldn't be a problem.

I'm curious about this as a friend had a Killer Instinct Arcade board with a fried CPU, the only replacement that I could find was a faster CPU, he hasn't gone through the repair so I don't know if it indeed works.

choijimmy

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 12:02:33 PM »
In theory it should work, no? 10mhz is the max speed that it can run stable, lower speed shouldn't be a problem.

I'm curious about this as a friend had a Killer Instinct Arcade board with a fried CPU, the only replacement that I could find was a faster CPU, he hasn't gone through the repair so I don't know if it indeed works.

Thanks for the reply. I am also thinking faster CPU should be ok, probably, I just buy one cpu and give a try next time.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 02:47:15 PM »

The CPU in KI was made for desktop applications so it's ability to scale may surpass that of the 68000. What actually tells the CPU what speed to run at in a Genesis? Is it throttled by anything? A crystal or something? If so, this won't be a problem. If not...

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »
My only experience with something like his was the Amiga 2500 which had two different CPUs, a 68000 and a 68030. Maybe half your shit would actually run with the faster chip.

Of course, this was because the system was designed to run at two speeds and the software often wasn't. If the Genesis is going to tell this thing to spin at Genesis speed regardless of what it is, then it won't be a problem.

crazydean

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 04:35:22 PM »

The CPU in KI was made for desktop applications so it's ability to scale may surpass that of the 68000. What actually tells the CPU what speed to run at in a Genesis? Is it throttled by anything? A crystal or something? If so, this won't be a problem. If not...

On a Genesis, it's a JO crystal.

There is actually a mod to reduce slowdown where you use a faster crystal. Maybe it's worth a view to see how that is done and what it actually changes.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

choijimmy

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 07:13:39 PM »

On a Genesis, it's a JO crystal.

There is actually a mod to reduce slowdown where you use a faster crystal. Maybe it's worth a view to see how that is done and what it actually changes.

Thanks a lot.  Have checked that,  seems faster CPU is OK since actual speed is controlled by crystal