Author Topic: Small issue with Duo-R  (Read 444 times)

zetastrike

Small issue with Duo-R
« on: May 11, 2017, 01:13:12 PM »
I got my Duo-R on Monday and it's done this weird thing two times.  When playing Gradius II, it hanged at a black screen for longer than it should have when it was supposed to be loading.  The first time was after the GAME OVER screen.  Instead of quickly loading back to the Konami splash screen, the screen went black for longer than usual.  It proceeded to work flawlessly after that for the next few days.  Just now, when I went to start a game, it hanged at a black screen before it loaded the first level.  And after that, all the music streamed without issue and all subsequent loading happened seamlessly.  The drive itself is actually really quiet, much quieter than my Saturn, 3DOs, or Sega CD.  I just found it a little alarming that it took a bit for the drive to start seeking and loading on just those two freak occasions.  I hope this isn't a sign of it dying.

SignOfZeta

Re: Small issue with Duo-R
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 01:47:47 PM »
Yep, that's a small issue all right.

crazydean

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 04:58:17 PM »
They do that. As for the noise, be glad it isn't a Dreamcast
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 05:58:49 PM »
Completely normal as long as it doesn't do it in the exact same spot every single time. Maybe 1 out of every 10 times it's normal for a loading section to eat up more times that usual.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 06:33:11 AM »
Also, if it gets stuck, pop the door and close it again. That usually wakes it up.

GohanX

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 09:27:49 AM »
Gotta love these first generation CD drives. The Sega CD does it sometimes too.

mario_pic

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »
I got my Duo-R on Monday and it's done this weird thing two times.  When playing Gradius II, it hanged at a black screen for longer than it should have when it was supposed to be loading.  The first time was after the GAME OVER screen.  Instead of quickly loading back to the Konami splash screen, the screen went black for longer than usual.  It proceeded to work flawlessly after that for the next few days.  Just now, when I went to start a game, it hanged at a black screen before it loaded the first level.  And after that, all the music streamed without issue and all subsequent loading happened seamlessly.  The drive itself is actually really quiet, much quieter than my Saturn, 3DOs, or Sega CD.  I just found it a little alarming that it took a bit for the drive to start seeking and loading on just those two freak occasions.  I hope this isn't a sign of it dying.
lube the drive rails  and worm gear  if not its tracking problem  pot needs ajustment