Author Topic: Garbled graphics on HuCard  (Read 408 times)

coryoon

Garbled graphics on HuCard
« on: June 10, 2017, 03:04:35 AM »
Hi guys, I think one of my HuCard's is fooked, but I am just putting this out there to see if it may be a sign of HuCards going 'off'.

Basically I was testing my LT the other day and I always have the same HuCard loose in the storage box that I use for the LT.  The game is PC Genjin 2.

Anyways, I plugged in the card and fired up the LT only to find the menu screen for the game having some random discoloured blocks on display.  I took out the card and cleaned the contacts and reinserted it, only to have the same issue.

You can play the game, and the blocky errors disappear, but then some character sprites seem to be affected.

I tried another game in the LT - as I was worried that my LT was playing up and the other game looked fine - as did several others.

I then tried PCG2 on my Duo and got exactly the same issue, so it is definitely the card that is playing up.

It looks like an issue that you would get if there was a duff contact, but I cleaned this thoroughly and to be honest it looked good to start with.

There are two possibilities I think;

1) A component or trace inside the HuCard has failed.
2) Whilst loose in the box with the LT, there was some plastic foam that is used to protect the LT, this could easily generate static, and may have caused a short.

If anyone has experienced this before, let me know.

esteban

Garbled graphics on HuCard
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 05:34:39 AM »
Crap, this is more anecdotal evidence that some PC Genjin 2 Hueys didn't age well...

I have a bad PC Genjin 2 (one of the few bad HuCARDs I've ever seen, and I have had hundreds and hundreds over the years.

Physically, it is in excellent condition. It is playable, but with garbled graphics. Of course I tried all the usual "remedies" ...nope. No change.

I bought another copy, it has been fine. (15 years going...)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 05:36:57 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

coryoon

Re: Garbled graphics on HuCard
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 02:01:21 AM »
Oh dear, it's strange that this HuCard game is possibly prone to failing, wonder what change was made in manufacturing it that caused it.

I have ordered a replacement card, hopefully that one will last.

TheClash603

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 03:00:16 AM »
I haven't had a malfunctioning huey yet thankfully.  I still wonder if this is coincidence or issue with the game.  Would likely need a much larger sample size for this to be a scientifically accurate study.

I have seen a few cartridge games fail.  Off the top of my head I had a garbled Super Spy AES that I gave away on here in case it was fixable and I have two Genesis games which have died completely (American Gladiators and Altered Beast).

thesteve

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:08:06 PM »
my pc genjin2 is also bad in the same way