Author Topic: Which is your favorite retro gaming era?  (Read 7649 times)

Gypsy

Re: Which is your favorite retro gaming era?
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2017, 04:46:53 AM »
Ha I even forgot Valkyrie Profile, and I loved that game. Just so many RPGs on PS1 and yes, the PSP version is way cheaper or easier to emulate, so either way, it's the way to go.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2017, 04:50:13 AM »
or you could just play your real copy you got back in the day for 15$ used before the gaming world collectively went f*cking mental. 

ayyyyyy

macarena.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Michirin9801

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2017, 10:02:54 AM »
Not sure how tight your budget is but this would probably be around $60 total to play all Saturn games w/o fuss.
If I had $60 lying around I'd buy some more 3DS games that I'm still missing out on >w>
I sure want to get a Saturn someday, but I've only just started working (as an animator), and I'm only gonna be paid (pennies) by the end of July, I don't think I'm gonna be able to afford collecting anything this year, maybe a couple of years from now, when I'm done with college, but by then I believe the prices are gonna be even more astronomically high than they already are...

@michirin: I keep forgetting you are like, stuck in emulatorland.   Playing PS1 and Saturn via emulator f*cking sucks, lol.   
It sure would help if my real PS1 hadn't been broken since 2006, and as far as I'm concerned, buying a new PS1 would be cheaper than fixing mine, but let's just say I have other priorities...

Saturn is basically PCE 2.0 IMO.  It's basically what the PC-FX could have been if they didnt bank so hard on FMV being the hotness that would pave the way into the future.   
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly why I want to play it! I've only barely touched the Saturn, but of what I did see on the system it already feels like it would be right up my alley! So many 2D games! So many Fighting games! So many shmups!

another PS1 game that you should try at some point in your life is Parasite Eve.

I assume you have already played Valkyrie Profile via PSP.

If not, go do that.   Your life needs it.
Taking notes! I'll see about trying more PS1 games next weekend, I'll be less busy by then, and no I haven't played Valkyrie Profile yet, I've mostly just been playing Street Fighter Alpha 3, Project Diva and K-on Hakugo Live...

Are you one of those people while playing games like Flashback or Prince of Persia, you end up running off of cliffs because the controls are weird?   lol
Sometimes, the biggest problem with the controls in these types of games is that I think they feel stiff, you have to preemptively do what you want your character to do instead of having it respond immediately as you play like in a normal platformer...
I know they're supposed to be good, they have loads of fans for a reason after all, but due to how they play they're gonna appeal more to players who want a slower-paced more methodical game, and I'm not one of them...
Oh and, being flip-screen doesn't help matters in my book >w>
I always felt that was a step backwards in the evolution of platformers, they went from static screens to flip-screens, to scrolling horizontally or vertically only, to scrolling in 8 directions, not to mention the Parallax Scrolling that only got better and better, and now back to flip-screens? C'mon!
Yeah I know they look "prettier" now with the pre-rendered graphics and stuff, but I much prefer the more cartoony graphics often used on the 16 bit systems, those aged a heck of a lot better...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2017, 10:07:03 AM »
The accelerated physics movement/climbing in a scrolling engine would be a disaster.   That's why they are flipscreen still.

You need fairly pixel perfect grabbing/climbing/etc.    Having to deal with that while it's all moving would make for the worst game ever.

plus, mapping out a scrolling adventure/puzzle game is a real punch in the dick.  Flipscreen lets you map stuff out in your head, or on paper, or when you suck and have to use a walkthru, lol.

Also, screw buying a PS1.  Just get a PS2.   \o/

Michirin9801

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
The accelerated physics movement/climbing in a scrolling engine would be a disaster.   That's why they are flipscreen still.

You need fairly pixel perfect grabbing/climbing/etc.    Having to deal with that while it's all moving would make for the worst game ever.

plus, mapping out a scrolling adventure/puzzle game is a real punch in the dick.  Flipscreen lets you map stuff out in your head, or on paper, or when you suck and have to use a walkthru, lol.
Point taken, but that only adds to why I would NOT want to play them >w>

Also, screw buying a PS1.  Just get a PS2.   \o/
Yes, THAT's what I should do... Eventually...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
but dude

hell yeah.

MrBroadway

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 10:24:35 AM »
Wiki lists The Legend of Dragoon, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, Final Fantasy Tactics as being incompatible with the PS2.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 10:26:36 AM »
Wiki lists The Legend of Dragoon, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, Final Fantasy Tactics as being incompatible with the PS2.

Uh.

No?

Do you mean the PS3?

Michirin9801

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 10:30:50 AM »

Just these 3?
Not that big a loss... I could just emulate them if I ever want to play them...

but dude

hell yeah.

It's okay... >w>
But it's not this:

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2017, 10:33:39 AM »
You're right.   Flashback is a playable game.  Turrican is just some shit people pretend they like.   lol.

PS2 can play all PS1 games.   I don't know what Broadway's smoking.   I can confirm FFT and LOD work on a PS2.

and VR Missions actually.

Michirin9801

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2017, 10:43:58 AM »
You're right.   Flashback is a playable game.  Turrican is just some shit people pretend they like.   lol.
Nah, Turrican's bloody awesome! Particularly Super Turrican 2, that one blew my mind back when I was little, too bad the music isn't as awesome as Super Turrican 1...
Mega Turrican is pretty damn good too, but I prefer the SNES ones for the most part...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2017, 10:46:04 AM »
Super Turrican 2 is literally the only Turrican anyone should play.   The rest are all garbage lol.

I feel bad for everyone that was stuck with C64 Turricans because they didn't have an NES growing up.

You all got shafted once that sweet intro tune ended.

Michirin9801

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2017, 11:03:31 AM »
Super Turrican 2 is literally the only Turrican anyone should play.   The rest are all garbage lol.

I feel bad for everyone that was stuck with C64 Turricans because they didn't have an NES growing up.

You all got shafted once that sweet intro tune ended.
Well, the only computer Turrican game I've played was the Speccy version of the first game, and that was out of curiosity, I haven't played the C64 or Amiga ones, only their console counterparts on the SNES, MD, TurboGrafx and NES, and yeah, the NES version of Super Turrican is kind of rubbish, and so is the TurboGrafx one, but Mega Turrican, SNES Super Turrican and Super Turrican 2 are all damn good! (But Super Turrican 2 is the best)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2017, 11:12:35 AM »
I had Turrican on C64 and Amiga bitd.    I thought they were shitheaps when they were basically current games, lol.

I was like "f*ck this I am playing Contra"

and "f*ck this, playing Contra 3"

Gypsy

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2017, 01:43:13 PM »
Yeah not sure what that PS1 games not playing on PS2 is about. Some have minor performance issues (notably Zanac x Zanac) but everything plays. I played some Legend of Dragoon this year on my PS2.

If I had $60 lying around I'd buy some more 3DS games that I'm still missing out on >w>
I sure want to get a Saturn someday, but I've only just started working (as an animator), and I'm only gonna be paid (pennies) by the end of July, I don't think I'm gonna be able to afford collecting anything this year, maybe a couple of years from now, when I'm done with college, but by then I believe the prices are gonna be even more astronomically high than they already are...

;_;

Just make sure to get a pseudo saturn when you do. It's definitely worth playing some of the higher value ($200+) games but not worth paying for imo.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly why I want to play it! I've only barely touched the Saturn, but of what I did see on the system it already feels like it would be right up my alley! So many 2D games! So many Fighting games! So many shmups!

Sounds like you will love the Saturn. Maybe some day the emulation won't suck. That would be nice.