Author Topic: Turbo Express kicks major ass  (Read 437 times)

vestcoat

Turbo Express kicks major ass
« on: October 16, 2006, 07:16:37 PM »
Seriously.  

I broke down a purchased one when the low-stock notice went up at TZD and it just came in the mail today.

Best portable of all time - 1 dead pixel + no sound problems = very happy customer  :D

Until today I had never actually held one in my hands before.  I've got to say, it is without a doubt the first portable that didn't suck.  I guess I can't speak for the Lynx, but compared to the TE, both Gameboy (black/white) and Game Gear look like junk.  Game Boy had some very well designed games and was better than nothing on a car trip in 1990.  I love my Game Gear w/Master Gear converter but the thing is practically a novelty.  On GG I can barely ever read any text, I can't see the bullets on R-Type half the time and Sonic is so blurry it's hardly worth playing.

My only gripe about the TE is that now there's a reason I should have picked up Raiden, R-Type, Bonk 1-2, Bomberman, Pacland and Air Zonk on US Hucard rather than PCE or CD formats. :cry:

The thing kicks ass, the screen is clear and it still has that beautiful "new electronic smell."  I'll be sure to bring it to TurboFest 07.

Keranu

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 08:07:06 PM »
Glad to hear you enjoy it. I bought one brand new from MindRec last spring for a bargain and I also love mine to death. The screen does look great, though text can be hard to read sometimes and some games look better than others. I like to pick out games with bigger sprites to play on it because they look especially nice on the TE.

I know that new electronic smell you are talking about (I have a fascination with smelling electronics, especially video games) and it smells wonderful. I'll be sure to bring my Express for Turbo Fest as well. I actually brought it to the last MGC but didn't get to link up with other TE's, which I hope to do next year :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

rolins

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 10:49:24 AM »
I love my Turbo Express. It was the only NEC console I couldn't bear to part when I went into financial debt over the summer. I had to sell off my Duo-R and my collection of games just to pay them off. I haven't taken out my TE in long while, but also I don't have any games for it either. The only game I have now is Tatsujin, too bad my TE isn't region modded.

AlexKidd

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 01:53:53 PM »
I also just got my first turbo express a few weeks. I got it on ebay and I don't think it was a bad deal: $75 with 3 sports games that I needed for my collection. I was a little skeptical about buying one because i've been spoiled by the gba sp and ds and usually don't enjoy older portables. However I found it to be an awesome piece of equipment for the time. It blows the crap out of game boy, game gear,lynx and ngpc. Just slightly worse than the sp. Either way being able to play stuff like devil's crush and blazing lazers while my girlfriend is playing her gamecube is priceless.

vestcoat

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 05:11:26 PM »
Do you guys remember that that ad for the TE that said "Some of the best things in life are portable."  Then it had a picture of a Turbo Express and a portable biffy?

Quote from: "AlexKidd"
I also just got my first turbo express a few weeks. I got it on ebay and I don't think it was a bad deal: $75 with 3 sports games that I needed for my collection. I was a little skeptical about buying one because i've been spoiled by the gba sp and ds and usually don't enjoy older portables. However I found it to be an awesome piece of equipment for the time. It blows the crap out of game boy, game gear,lynx and ngpc. Just slightly worse than the sp. Either way being able to play stuff like devil's crush and blazing lazers while my girlfriend is playing her gamecube is priceless.

What does ngpc stand for?  Neo Geo pocket?

Quote from: "rolins"
I love my Turbo Express. It was the only NEC console I couldn't bear to part when I went into financial debt over the summer. I had to sell off my Duo-R and my collection of games just to pay them off. I haven't taken out my TE in long while, but also I don't have any games for it either. The only game I have now is Tatsujin, too bad my TE isn't region modded.

I remember reading that it's damn hard to modify a TE because of space limitations.  Is this still the case?  If so, that's probably why PCE GT's are so popular.

Quote from: "Keranu"

I know that new electronic smell you are talking about (I have a fascination with smelling electronics, especially video games) and it smells wonderful. I'll be sure to bring my Express for Turbo Fest as well. I actually brought it to the last MGC but didn't get to link up with other TE's, which I hope to do next year :) .

Yeah, we need to figure out if stereo cables work as Turbo links before the fest.  the com jack looks pretty damn simple, so I don't think it will be a problem.  I wonder if PCE Bomberman 93 on a GT could be linked with the US version on a TE...that would be awesome.

Another stupid-but-awesome thing to do with a TE would be to take a Turbo Duo with a Duo battery pack and plug the yellow video cable into the input on an Express TV Tuner.  You could get sound through the Duo's headphone jack, use a Duo pad for controls and the TE would function as your TV--Now that would be some quality portable gaming.

grahf

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 06:49:26 PM »
Quote from: "vestcoat"

I remember reading that it's damn hard to modify a TE because of space limitations.  Is this still the case?  If so, that's probably why PCE GT's are so popular.

Ive modded two of them pretty easily. However, they are not switchable. I just basically modified the hucard slots so they play PCE hucards. I own all import cards anyhow, so i didnt need it to play us games anymore.

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 08:41:53 PM »
Another stupid-but-awesome thing to do with a TE would be to take a Turbo Duo with a Duo battery pack and plug the yellow video cable into the input on an Express TV Tuner.  You could get sound through the Duo's headphone jack, use a Duo pad for controls and the TE would function as your TV--Now that would be some quality portable gaming.

Haha, that would be badass.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 11:05:24 AM »
Quote from: "grahf"

Ive modded two of them pretty easily. However, they are not switchable. I just basically modified the hucard slots so they play PCE hucards. I own all import cards anyhow, so i didnt need it to play us games anymore.

Dude! How can you possibly survive without Night Creatures, Darkwing Duck and Falcon?!?!  :P

Seriously though, there's no need for TE/GT mods anymore, since both systems are cheap and easy to find now.

Personally, I believe that the Turbo Express/PC Engine GT is the best designed/looking video game system ever made(by far).

And the way things are going, it doesn't look like it's going to ever be topped in the future (the soon-to-be-current 3 systems should be more correctly named: Sony Box, Nintendo Box and Microsoft Box).
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 11:22:23 AM »
Glad you're digging the TE, vestcoat. Plug in the TG-CD card  into that bad boy for a special treat :).

I have two TE's and once I unpack my stuff I can tell you folks if a standard male - to - male 1/4" (or is it 1/8") stereo / mono plug works.

I can tell you that the real TE cable has some plastic blocks on it (similar-looking to the magnets attached to some A/V cables that reduce interference). I have not confirmed what these plastic blocks actually do,  if anything, though.

Is there really going to be a TurboFest '07?
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 03:37:11 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"

You bet yer arse there is.

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 05:31:24 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Quote from: "stevek666"

You bet yer arse there is.

Its going to be the dog's bullocks!
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum