Author Topic: Blown out sound on one channel of RGB PC Engine Duo  (Read 384 times)

narunetto

Blown out sound on one channel of RGB PC Engine Duo
« on: July 16, 2017, 08:28:47 PM »
Having some trouble with trying to fix my PC Engine Duo  RGB Modded I got from Ebay from a Japanese modder, but it seems like the left channel is blown out. Didn't want to go through shipping it back so tried to see if I could fix it. Ordered some new caps for it and tried replacing them even further but it didn't seem to fix the problem.
here's a video of the issue of the audio problem. Also to specify, tested with both the cables it came with, as well as the headphone jack built in, and the audio problem persist still. is this fine

Keith Courage

Re: Blown out sound on one channel of RGB PC Engine Duo
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:55:21 AM »
if you changed out the capacitors and it didn't fix the problem, then most likely there's a short or bad Trace somewhere caused by old capacitor leakage.

the first spot I would look at is the 4558 op amp right by the AV Jack. With all of my recaps I always remove this amp, clean really well, and then reinstall. This usually fixes any problems with it. However, if it doesn't, one has to start checking all the traces for the caps around that op amp to make sure they all have a good connection and that the Via holes are not shorted out as well.