Author Topic: TE Button II needs time to 'warm up'  (Read 389 times)

Slypty

TE Button II needs time to 'warm up'
« on: July 21, 2017, 03:36:36 AM »
I finished successfully re-capping a TE System for a friend, and threw in Keith Courage to test everything.  The button II didn't respond for a while, but I noticed after about a minute it would start to respond, but inconsistently.

Some problems would be that when you hold the jump button, it doesn't always go to the right height, and also sometimes it just doesn't work when pressed.  Things I've done to repair it are:
- Changed the one Cap on the board, I think it's 47uF 16V but I used 47uF 25V
- There was some noticeable corrosion from the capacitor, the traces that meet the legs for the cap have some small dots from the leftover acid.  I'm not sure if it's causing a bad Cap connection to the ribbon or the buttons.
- The carbon traces look OK, but not sure.  I added carbon glue to the II button, and it fixed the button being laggy a little but, and seemed to help to lift Keith to the right height when I press the button longer, but the button still remains inconsistent.  It needs about 30sec-1 minute to warm up before it starts working.  It sounds like a cap issue, but I'm not sure if anyone has had this problem and fixed it with the carbon traces instead.  Help?

NichlasEk

Re: TE Button II needs time to 'warm up'
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 05:20:38 AM »
Sounds like a cap issue.. but have you tried to clean and bend the turbo buttons? I almost gave up on mine before finding out that the turbo buttons didnt make good contact.

Slypty

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 02:19:22 AM »
Yup, I did clean up the button pads.  I know they can get acid on them and cause a bit of an issue with connections, wiping the black part on paper usually works well.. but didn't in this case.

I guess I'll just fiddle with the cap a bit and hope something works out.

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 09:43:15 AM »
Usually this is a sign of the traces for the button on the controller board going bad or the pad on the board itself going bad. I'd first try running a new wire to repair the trace and see if that fixes it. If not you will have to sand off the old pad and make new connections using copper tape and solder the traces to them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/6mm-x-20m-Single-Face-Adhesive-Electric-Conduction-Copper-Foil-Tape-FP9-/192248852814?epid=916108691&hash=item2cc2ecb14e:g:9poAAOSwgZZZahRq

If any of this sounds like scary work to you then best to send it to myself or another tech here to fix it because it's very easy to make things worse when dealing with Turbo Express controller board repairs.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:45:12 AM by Keith Courage »