Author Topic: PC Engine Duo R - No Audio  (Read 1016 times)

TelcoSurveyor

PC Engine Duo R - No Audio
« on: July 21, 2017, 03:08:24 PM »
So I bought a not working Duo R off eBay listed with no sound and no video from the cd drive. I was able to get the cd working beautifully with minor pot adjustments. I ordered a cap kit from Console5 and was looking over the cap diagram and noticed it didn't look like the duo r diagram I had printed out, so I googled the motherboard number and it's a duo rx motherboard inside a duo r shell. Looks like I have a couple less audio circuit caps to replace. Hope it works since I've not heard of the caps needing replaced very often on the duo r's.
I'm the Wind, Baby!

Keith Courage

Re: PC Engine Duo R - No Audio
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 07:28:30 PM »
Most likely some thing else is at fault. It extremely rare for R or RX systems to have audio issues do to bad caps. Good luck with trying to caps first though.

TelcoSurveyor

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:42:57 PM »
First thing I did was check the connector for loose solder and discovered there had been an rgb mod done to this, so I swapped the 8 pin for a 5 pin. Still no sound, so my next thought was caps. The board looks in decent shape, but I'm new to looking at it from a troubleshooting standpoint.
I'm the Wind, Baby!

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 11:35:19 PM »
Might be a broken trace somewhere or a bad 4558 op amp. rarely ever caps.

TelcoSurveyor

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 01:19:09 AM »
I am noticing five of the 4558 op amps that are mounted 2x on the top and 3x on the bottom in the area where the laser is, am I missing any, and should I replace all of them?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:31:58 AM by TelcoSurveyor »
I'm the Wind, Baby!

TelcoSurveyor

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 04:58:07 AM »
Well, I burnt a pad trying to swap C325 and now I think I should send it out to someone who can possibly fix it over me screwing it up further.. Any takers?
I'm the Wind, Baby!