Author Topic: Wtb: supergrafx?  (Read 1209 times)

in99flames

Wtb: supergrafx?
« on: July 26, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »
Ive always was curious about a Supergrafx.  I think I want to buy one. Is there anything worth getting for it?
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

crazydean

Re: Wtb: supergrafx?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
There's only five games for it and none of them are cheap. However, Ghouls and Ghosts is one of my favorite games on the Genesis. No idea how it compares. I assume it's better.

If you're not sure, maybe do some research first and watch a quick video on the five games on it. Personally, I'd go for an Arcade Card before I got a whole new system.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

seieienbu

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »
I'd say try the 5 games out on emulator:
Aldynes,
Battle Ace,
Ghouls and Ghosts,
Granzort

Darius Plus also takes advantage of the Supergrafx hardware if its there but not to a great extent.

I think Aldynes is fantastic and is one of my favorite shooters on the platform.  I'm a big fan of GnG and liked Granzort and 1941 quite a bit.  I don't personally like them enough to warrant the console purchase for such a limited lineup of games but I can't think of another system where I would nebulously like to purchase 83% of the library.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:20:45 PM by seieienbu »
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

gex

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 05:12:48 PM »
Expensive toys, i've only had the chance to play Ghouls and Ghosts and it was A+

Dicer

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »
Had one, def worth having short term, but the novelty quickly wore off....

I was expecting it to be much bigger and heavier, but it's kinda small and light, that was a let down.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 02:49:28 PM »
Expensive toys, i've only had the chance to play Ghouls and Ghosts and it was A+

Are you sure?

It's funny that Makaimura games are common as hell on NES, SNES, and Genesis and they are so mother f*cking hard that maybe only %1 of the OGs I know have cleared the thing in 30 years. But if you make a version that's harder to get and kinda collectardy all sorts of people will praise it.

To answer the OP: no, but it's really easy to sell it off onto the next guy. The SGX is a system a lot of people used to own.

gex

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »

Are you sure?

YEAAH
I don't own one, but I've had the opportunity to check it out at a buddies place. I remember the SNES ghouls n ghosts having slow down problems that I didn't notice on supergrafx. The NES ghosts n goblins did too, but I never minded it for w/e reason; probably because I expect it playing on a Nintendo.

Although they're entirely different games lol, and I've never played it on Genesis. But I really liked it on Amiga, the music is sexxxx; mann is it good. I could listen to that Timmm F soundtrack for hours, remember playing it a lot when I was studying in my last year of university. Not to derail the thread, but definitely some of my favourite video game music of all time.

in99flames

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 07:35:12 PM »
Hmmm....even though it may feel like a novelty to get one...im not deterred just yet. Anyone willing to part with theirs? Lol.  Cant it play pcengine games as well if im not mistaken?
I am somebody's mommy!

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 07:58:53 PM »
Yes, the SGX plays PCE Hueys as well, since it is backwards compatible. You could also go as far as attaching it to the Super CD-RomĀ² or to the IFU + CD-RomĀ² (the latter needs the RAU-30 adaptor and a CD system card of your choice). The beauty of such a setup is in the eye of the beholder.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

GohanX

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 02:23:43 AM »
I don't really know anything about the system but I'm fully prepared to drop $300 on a system and $200 on a port of a game that can be easily played elsewhere because f*ck, it's just money.

This thread in a nutshell.

in99flames

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 03:25:16 AM »
I don't really know anything about the system but I'm fully prepared to drop $300 on a system and $200 on a port of a game that can be easily played elsewhere because f*ck, it's just money.

My life and anus in a nutshell.

Or maybe Its something ive been intrigued with for a while and want to know more about. I dont have a pcengine just a usa turbo. God forbid I want to ask people who might have owned one for information. I work and support my house, cars, and hobbies just fine. I appreciate your concern for my monetary well-being.

ANYWAYS, back on topic...

I think ill try on emulation like suggested. See if its something worth getting. I was really attracted to the fact that its kind of a cool looking system with that PCEngine compatibility and can play its own games(albeit only 5). I was thinking of getting a way to play PC Engine stuff and based upon prices of everything for a little more getting this(instead of a Duo) seemed like a better deal for me. I think :-P

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:42:38 AM by in99flames »
I am somebody's mommy!

gex

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 03:29:39 AM »
Lmao

HuMan

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 03:43:41 AM »
Maybe you should just get a PC Engine Shuttle instead, it's just as strange looking and useful.

in99flames

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 03:46:19 AM »
Pc engine shuttle....ill look this up. Thanks for the suggestion!
I am somebody's mommy!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 04:20:35 AM »
The SGX is pretty much for collectards.  It's the thing you should only buy after you've bought a IFU/Duo, built a library of games you love, and find yourself wondering what else you can spend money on.  Other options include the expensive LA with its somewhat larger library and the similarly priced PC-FX with its much larger (if less gaijin friendly) library.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles