Author Topic: Ghost Manor  (Read 317 times)

AlexKidd

Ghost Manor
« on: October 23, 2006, 08:29:24 AM »
I just recieved this game in the mail this week. I havn't really heard anything about but it came with Legendary Axe 2 which is what I really wanted. Well it looks like a pretty cool game but i'm not too sure. The graphics are very nice and I love games like ghouls n' ghosts, splatterhouse etc. However I'm already stuck right away. There's two doors in the first level and one key which doesn't seem to open either of them. Anyone know what to do? Is this game even worth playing? I've never heard a thing about it.

esteban

Ghost Manor
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 09:13:43 AM »
I've only played this game via emulation (but I'd love to buy your copy :) ) and I remember getting stuck on the very first "stage".

So, you're not alone in the "I'm frustrated" category.

You don't hear much about this game because it is akin to Impossamole: a flawed platformer that fails to keep most people interested.

I don't think many people here have really sunk their teeth into Ghost Manor (I know I haven't), but I'm hoping that one day my masochistic urges will entice me to spend more time with it.

IIRC, there are some sequences that require near-pixel perfect timing (i.e. jumping across several platforms), otherwise you fall and have to make another attempt.

Back in the day, promo videos would often show a cool-looking stage where you fly around in a skull... I still want to see what that's like.
  |    | 

Keranu

Ghost Manor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:50:44 PM »
I've only played this game via emulation as well and the farthest I have ever gotten was like 1 - 2 or 1 -3. I can't remember off hand how to get past the part you are at, but if I ever load it again I might help you.

And yeah the flying skull level that Steve mentioned in the promo videos looks awesome! It's the main reason that encourages me to play this game more just so I can play that cool looking stage! Hopefully the levels past the first get better  :) . Unfortunately it does suffer some pixel perfect timing, as Steve also posted, so it's a bit annoying to control.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

Ghost Manor
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 01:10:23 PM »
Okay, I'm going to give it a try for the first time as soon as I finish Faussete Amour(I think I'm near the end).

If it seems like its necessary, I'll make notes and slap together a walkthrough.

Either way, I'll post the secret of the keys as soon as I get that far.

EDIT: FA's last boss is way too cheap. Anyone ever beaten this game? I'm going to shut it down for now and try Ghost Manor.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Tatsujin

Ghost Manor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 04:53:41 PM »
like to have that game too. only played it on the emu as well and looks not that bad for an american product :P but it is very difficult to get one around my location.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Black Tiger

Re: Ghost Manor
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 05:02:51 PM »
Quote from: "AlexKidd"
I just recieved this game in the mail this week. I havn't really heard anything about but it came with Legendary Axe 2 which is what I really wanted. Well it looks like a pretty cool game but i'm not too sure. The graphics are very nice and I love games like ghouls n' ghosts, splatterhouse etc. However I'm already stuck right away. There's two doors in the first level and one key which doesn't seem to open either of them. Anyone know what to do? Is this game even worth playing? I've never heard a thing about it.

The key opens the door at the top right corner.

Hold Up while standing in front of a door t enter it.

In the next area, make your way to the far right, go down to the bottom and then back left to that ogre you saw on the way in.

Jump and shoot each time he throws a dagger till he's dead. A key will appear on the right.

The yellow skull in a barrel is a spring board just like the yellow floers in Bonk.

Make your way to the top right to the crypt doorway. Now that you have a key, you can just walk into it.

Now you're inside the "Ghost Manor". At first, it seems even more bullshitty than before, but its not that bad. All the enemies stay dead after you kill them. You can search things like armor and the big pink painting to get items.

I can't figure out what to do next, but the opening and closing doors make it seem like you should be able to enter rooms.

I can tell you one thing for sure though. So far, I'm liking Night Creatures ALOT more.

-If you can't already tell, I've been updating this port as I progress. I was just about to turn of my Duo and give up when I finally managed to decipher the graphic of those lifting doors: -they're elevators! Stand in front of one, after it comes down, jump up to enter it.

Kill the ghost in the room with the fire place to get a key. Go back down to the bottom floor and walk all the way right till you enter a new area (before you have the key, you just bump back from the open doorway).

In this new area, it appears you have to jump around looking for a key like in the beginning and then use it to go through the doorway at the bottom right. Keep jumping up off the spring boards again and again until you launch about a screen high. Its hard at first, but it does work.

I just made it up to the attic. Its now official, this game has the worst chip music of any Turbo game.

If you reach the roof top, DON'T jump down the golden chimney or it'll take you back to thr room with the fireplace where you killed a ghost for a key.

Sounds shitty right? Well guess what? All the monsters are back and you have to get the key all over again to go back to the area you were just in!

Anyways, to get the key, continue to the far left past the chimney and leap off the roof. The key's at the leftmost point. Go back down to the very bottom and all the way right to enter the next area.

Now this new area is pretty straightforward. Whatever you do, don't the door at the bottom right of this room, it will take you back to the beginning of the game.

First walk right to the next room, then go downstairs. Walk all the way left, climb down and then hold Up in front of the door to enter it.

Walk into the room to the right and fall down the pit. Stay in the room you fall into (don't bounce out yet) and walk into the room to the right. In this room you'll find the key. Return to the room on the left and bounce back up towards the left back to and through the first door you entered.

Continue back to the second room of this area, -the small room with 2 blue bats, a door and a staircase downward. Enter the door.

Now do some exploring, using doors until you find a key. Enter the door in the room left of the room with the key. Walk all the way right to the next area (until the key gets used).

Once again, explore until you find a room, entered from the right with a chest at the top left corner. Open the chest to get the key. Now find a room with 2 skeletons and a blue bat and 2 doors. Walk through the right side to enter the next area.

Use the yellow skull in a barrel to bounce up to the platforms. Platform lep all the way to the right, drop down and walk through the bottom right doorway.

Find the key in a midsection next to a static orb. Climb the long ladder, jump off the house to the platforms leading right. Continue all the way right and then up around to the left and enter the door next to the computer stuff.

You're now in the next area. You get a chest with the key after killing an ogre in the mid-right section. Once you have the key, go to the bottom of the level and all the way right and wind your way up through the passage to the top and all the way left until you find a warp door. Use the warp and enter the second door on the other side.

Once again, I ran out of continues at this point. This game is way too long for all the bs it puts you through.

ParanoiaDragon

Ghost Manor
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 10:39:41 PM »
I think I did beat FA, but I can't even remember what the last boss looks like.  Maybe if you posted a pic, I could say for sure.

And, a fun fact for Ghost Manor.  Not only did my friends dad(who worked for Icom back then) do all the graphics for the game in 3 months, but, he's also the hero of the game!  William Arthur Huff is his real name, but he goes by Art Huff, or Arthur, as in the character you play as :D   Neither him, nor his son Bill(my friend) we're fond of the Turbo however.  And I guess Icom wanted TTI to allow 6 Megs, so they could do stuff like paralax, but, were only allowed 4 :P

Black Tiger

Ghost Manor
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 08:43:14 AM »
Quote from: "ParanoiaDragon"
I think I did beat FA, but I can't even remember what the last boss looks like.  Maybe if you posted a pic, I could say for sure.

And, a fun fact for Ghost Manor.  Not only did my friends dad(who worked for Icom back then) do all the graphics for the game in 3 months, but, he's also the hero of the game!  William Arthur Huff is his real name, but he goes by Art Huff, or Arthur, as in the character you play as :D   Neither him, nor his son Bill(my friend) we're fond of the Turbo however.  And I guess Icom wanted TTI to allow 6 Megs, so they could do stuff like paralax, but, were only allowed 4 :P

That's TTI's "commitment to quality".  :P

ParanoiaDragon

Ghost Manor
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 08:52:51 AM »
Well, they also told me, it was, in truth, Hudson Soft of Japan that was calling the shots, & TTI was just, um, I guess a puppet would be the right word.  So, you can blame alot of the stuff we didn't get, because Hudson of Japan, thought American's & Canadians wouldn't like certain games, or so I was told by Bill Huff & his dad. :roll:

Black Tiger

Ghost Manor
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 09:41:09 AM »
Well, they also told me, it was, in truth, Hudson Soft of Japan that was calling the shots, & TTI was just, um, I guess a puppet would be the right word.  So, you can blame alot of the stuff we didn't get, because Hudson of Japan, thought American's & Canadians wouldn't like certain games, or so I was told by Bill Huff & his dad. :roll:

I wonder who made the decisions about the original Turbo games?

We get Order Of The Griffon and then Night Creatures.  :?

I think I did beat FA, but I can't even remember what the last boss looks like. Maybe if you posted a pic, I could say for sure.

Its like a blue side view version of the last boss in Ys III.

ParanoiaDragon

Ghost Manor
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 03:02:30 PM »
Hmm, that's not ringing a bell for some reason.   So he looks like a blue Galbalan?

Black Tiger

Ghost Manor
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 09:29:59 PM »
Hmm, that's not ringing a bell for some reason.   So he looks like a blue Galbalan?

Not really, but from what I remember, its a floating torso that you have to jump up to hit.

ParanoiaDragon

Ghost Manor
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 01:47:06 PM »
Ok, I checked my records of what games I've beaten, & it doesn't show that I beat the game.  It's always possible that I just forgot to check it off, since for some reason, I feel like I did beat it, but the boss doesn't sound familiar.  I'll see if I can get to him, & beat him, if possible.

Ok, I just beat the last boss.  It's a purplish goat with tits.  When the wind is blowing, just walk towards her, the leaves should all miss you.  When she puts her hand up, it will hurt you if you're too close.  And right after that, 2 green things will drop from the ceiling, you can either try to avoid them, or attack up at them, which will destroy them.  Also, there are 2 fairies in this room, one right where you start, I believe you just have to jump up to get it to appear, & another one near the boss, those both will give you a suit again if you've gotten hit by her.  That should do it :D