Author Topic: Game boxes.....  (Read 681 times)

willis

Game boxes.....
« on: October 23, 2006, 05:20:17 PM »
I have a question..... I know that all the Hu-card(U.S.) games all came in outer cardboard boxes. But Does anyone know a list of what CD games came in those boxes? As far as I know, some did and some didn't. I would just like to know a list of what games did/didn't come with outer boxes.

Keranu

Game boxes.....
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 05:21:34 PM »
The pre-Duo/TTi era of Turbo games had the cardboard cases for the CD games.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

willis

Game boxes.....
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 05:32:54 PM »
So anything before '93 (is that when Duo it came out?) has boxes?
Here are some specific ones i'm curious about:

Roit Zone - box?
Forgotten Worlds - box?
Prince of Persia - box?
Y's 3 - box?
Gate of Thunder - box?

Lords of Thunder - no box
Beyond Shadowgate - no box

thanks for the info!

Black Tiger

Game boxes.....
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 05:44:15 PM »
Roit Zone - no box
Forgotten Worlds - no box
Prince of Persia - no box
Y's 3 - has box
Gate of Thunder - never sold

Lords of Thunder - no box
Beyond Shadowgate - no box

Pretty much all CD2 games have boxes up until the launch of the Super CD format (pre-Duo). Once Super CDs came along, they switched to PC Engine style CD cases.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

Game boxes.....
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 06:18:41 PM »
Quote from: "willis"
So anything before '93 (is that when Duo it came out?) has boxes?

Pretty much, except the Duo came out in '92, though there might be some games with boxes in '92 but I'm not sure.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

Game boxes.....
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 06:39:26 PM »
Easy rule of thumb: If the game was released by TTi, assume no box for CD games. You'll see the TTi logo plastered on the packaging / instruction manual, so this should be easy.

As far as Working Designs is concerned, hmmmmm, I don't think Exile, Exile 2, Vasteel came in a box (but folks here have mentioned a cardboard sleeve for Vasteel, IIRC).

This is by no means complete, but it should help you sort things out.
  |    | 

willis

Game boxes.....
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 06:40:40 PM »
Thanks guys!

Just the info I was looking for.

Black Tiger

Game boxes.....
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
Easy rule of thumb: If the game was released by TTi, assume no box for CD games. You'll see the TTi logo plastered on the packaging / instruction manual, so this should be easy.

As far as Working Designs is concerned, hmmmmm, I don't think Exile, Exile 2, Vasteel came in a box (but folks here have mentioned a cardboard sleeve for Vasteel, IIRC).

This is by no means complete, but it should help you sort things out.

Exile has a box, Vasteel doesn't, its a double case and I bought it new.

Joe Redifer

Game boxes.....
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 08:37:43 PM »
Exile 2 has a cardboard sleeve type thingy.  I took a picture of both sides JUST FOR YOU!  Feel special and send me $100.  Thanks.

I wonder how much this little sleeve type tingy increases the value of the game?

Black Tiger

Game boxes.....
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 09:01:37 PM »
Quote from: "Joe Redifer"
Exile 2 has a cardboard sleeve type thingy.  I took a picture of both sides JUST FOR YOU!  Feel special and send me $100.  Thanks.

I wonder how much this little sleeve type tingy increases the value of the game?

That looks familiar, I'm guessing that Vasteel had one too (my memory has now been altered to think its a certainty).

Vasteel is the latest released WD Turbo game I got to buy new.

All I know for sure is that it had no box and I was trying to decide between it and Exile (which had a box), while on a trip to Seattle(the same trip I received SFIICE a day before).

The reason I was deciding between those two games, of course... is that WD never released their Turbo games in Canada (I had previously mail ordered CF2 and would later order Exile direct from WD).

They responded to a letter I wrote them explaining how they wouldn't be selling Turbo games in Canada anytime soon, but they were working on it. Of course, they didn't get distribution within Canada until Lunar (from what I ever saw).

When my mother went on a seperate trip to Seattle, I gave her very detailed specific instructions, and somehow she actually managed to find and bring me back Side Arms. Which, of course, also wasn't released in Canada.

Joe Redifer

Game boxes.....
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 10:11:47 PM »
Side Arms was the only game ever released by Radiance Software for any system, correct?  They seemed to just go away after that, and I never saw anything from them before that.  Who programmed the game?   Radiance just brought it over as far as I know.

Black Tiger

Game boxes.....
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 10:35:59 PM »
Side Arms was the only game ever released by Radiance Software for any system, correct?  They seemed to just go away after that, and I never saw anything from them before that.  Who programmed the game?   Radiance just brought it over as far as I know.

NEC Ave did both the HuCard and CD versions.

Radiance certainly had good taste in games. Although they still mangled the cover art, at least its up there with the best of them for not representing the actual game whatsoever.

Its like putting a picture of a GI JOE character on a Transformers game.

SignOfZeta

Game boxes.....
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 12:18:27 AM »

I sold mine for $5 to some guy. I found it in a box years after I sold the game.

esteban

Game boxes.....
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 04:45:16 AM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
It's not that bad! It's like putting the localized, American-ized version of Bonk in the cover art, instead of PC Genjin.... hmmmm....

Oh wait, it is like putting a GI JOE character on the cover! :)
  |    | 

Black Tiger

Game boxes.....
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 09:12:12 AM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
It's not that bad! It's like putting the localized, American-ized version of Bonk in the cover art, instead of PC Genjin.... hmmmm....

Oh wait, it is like putting a GI JOE character on the cover! :)

Exactly, a giant transforming mecha robot is represented by a human space cowboy.

Yeehaw!  :P

And going by memory alone, he looks like Scrap Iron from GI JOE.

EDIT: For all you young whippersnappers who've never seen or heard of the real GI JOE (everything before ARAH doesn't count, what do you think the 'R' stands for anyway?) or Transformers and for anyone who would dare to question my old foggy memory, let this drive the message home:

It went from this-

To this-

Of course the real reason its hilarious, isn't so much the change in covers, but the fact that the new cover doesn't represent the game whatsoever, where as the original perfectly summed it up.