Author Topic: Game boxes.....  (Read 680 times)

malducci

Game boxes.....
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 01:09:42 PM »
Jetfire(?) is such a rip of the Macross valkyrie!

rolins

Game boxes.....
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 01:18:33 PM »
Quote from: "malducci"

I remember this character from the cartoon. Isn't he called "Skyfire" though?

malducci

Game boxes.....
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 01:45:16 PM »
Maybe it was Skyfire, but transformers was a "pot luck" of different toys molded into a show for the US. A lot of the actual transformers  toys and characters originated from something else.

Anyway, back on topic - I don't remember any of the Super CD games coming with boxes. Ys III was old CD and had a box.

Black Tiger

Game boxes.....
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 01:46:59 PM »
Quote from: "malducci"

It is the Macross Valkyrie.

The 1 player Sidearms guy is the rip off, complete with the skull & cross bones.

They had to change Jetfire to Skyfire on the show, because Hasbro only had the toy rights for that particular model. I imagine that Harmony Gold would've still owned the N.A. animated Macross rights at that point.

No Super CDs came with boxes. I remember the switch over, because the local Radio Shack got the first batch of Super CDs, all in jewel cases, months before the Turbo Duo and all I could do was look at them and imagine what Super CD games would be like.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

Game boxes.....
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 03:55:28 AM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
The similarities betweeen the two dudes is just too great. I love it.

This rules on 100 different levels. First, I totally remember that Cobra dude and probably still have him and his card. Second, I always loved the art for the GI Joe toy line. The artist(s) were friggin' masters at capturing and portraying everything that GI Joe should be. So why did I cut out the cards and throw away the boxes? I don't know.

For the record, I actually like the NA Sidearms cover, because it has an old-skool American sci-fi aesthetic. Plus, the artist was very careful to make sure that our hero was wearing a fabulous anti-gravity ring (a striking emerald-green anti-g gem set in a masculine gold band).

What's that? You can't see his ring? Have a look here:

|    | 

Black Tiger

Game boxes.....
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 08:59:59 AM »
For the record, I actually like the NA Sidearms cover, because it has an old-skool American sci-fi aesthetic. Plus, the artist was very careful to make sure that our hero was wearing a fabulous anti-gravity ring (a striking emerald-green anti-g gem set in a masculine gold band).

I also really liked the cover when I first got it. It was actually one of the better ones for any system at the time, let alone the TG-16(still limited pencil crayon drawings).

That ring, like the rest of his getup sure is fabulous alright, if you know what I mean.  :wink:

Something that's really cool about that ad, is how it says:

"Featuring authentic "Coin-Op" quality, SIDEARMS brings you furious action, dazzling graphics and stereo sound, previously only available at the local arcade."

Whats cool about this description, is back then, most ads were full of shit when making such claims, but Sidearms really does feature coin-op quality graphics.

Actually, the certainly dazzling graphics are slightly better than the arcade and we're talking that nicely shaded classic Capcom here. Even though, until emulation, I let myself belive that that the graphics weren't as good, and always wanted one section to look as nice as the one screenshot in magazine ads. Probably a result of reading EGM since issue one.

And the "stereo sound" really stood out to me, I remember listening to the game with ear phones and being impressed with the first stage music as it bounced around between left and right speakers. I was very impressed with the game in general, even though I'd had Sidearms Special for a year or two already.

One last amusing part about that tag line, is: "stereo sound, previously only available at the local arcade." This is funny, because I now that Sidearms, like most arcades found at "the local arcade" back in the day, was really only in mono, so once again, it's got a leg up on the "authentic "Coin-Op" quality" of the original, which was one of my favorite arcades at the time and still is today.

Keranu

Game boxes.....
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 02:12:05 PM »
Damn Steve, you have a good eye! That ring kicks ass!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

Game boxes.....
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 02:14:32 PM »
Buddy looks like he's all set to play some lazer tag. They even have a fog machine and some cool landscapes on the walls.  :P

Keranu

Game boxes.....
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 02:40:40 PM »
Dude I would play laser tag with that guy any day of the week.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

Game boxes.....
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 02:43:44 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"

I'd be careful playing in the dark with that guy.  :wink:

Keranu

Game boxes.....
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 02:52:51 PM »
I wouldn't, I'm sure his ring would luminate a large glow near him at all times  :D .

akamichi

Game boxes.....
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 11:11:58 PM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
Quote from: "Keranu"

I'd be careful playing in the dark with that guy.  :wink:

LOL!  :lol:

Actually, that guy seems like he'd be on the cover of Section Z. :)

esteban

Game boxes.....
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2006, 03:32:48 AM »
I forgot to mention to you guys that I am dressing up as our hero for Halloween. The only piece of the costume I have yet to acquire -- yup, you guessed it: the ring!
  |    | 

Black Tiger

Game boxes.....
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2006, 08:21:18 AM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
I forgot to mention to you guys that I am dressing up as our hero for Halloween. The only piece of the costume I have yet to acquire -- yup, you guessed it: the ring!

Make sure to take lots of pictures!

And I want to see you in that pose.  :P

Keranu

Game boxes.....
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2006, 12:17:42 PM »
Kick ass, Steve! Are you going to go trick-or-treating with it on as well? Do take any pictures you can!