Author Topic: Where to get a import converter?  (Read 698 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Where to get a import converter?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 09:24:31 AM »

The way I remember it, both System 3.0 cards are universal and don't require a converter.
[/quote]

Um...is that even possible?
[/quote]

I don't know if I ever tried it with a console, but I once got at least one of the System 3.0 cards to work on a TE/GT.

Maybe it's just the U.S. version.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

wooster

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 08:45:43 AM »
Can someone explain the implicit points behind many of these posts saying a converter is not necessary? A converter is used to use Japanese HuCards with US TurboGrafxs and Duos.

When someone says get a CoreGrafx instead, are they saying the CoreGrafx can already play both Jap Hucards and US turbochips without any conversion? I thought the reason we needed a converter for US consoles was to adjust the physical form factor, and that's it? Apparently not, since I also see references to region codes. does the Coregrafx then play both US and Jap regions while also dealing with the different physical form factors of both Jap Hucards and US turbochips?

And does the Duo-R also play both types of cards?

termis

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 09:00:45 AM »
When someone says get a CoreGrafx instead, are they saying the CoreGrafx can already play both Jap Hucards and US turbochips without any conversion?

Nope.  A US Duo/TG-16 can play Jp games with a converter, but any Japanese system will require an internal hardware mod (to ground pin 29 of one of the IC chips), THEN you can use the converter.

Physically, both US and JP cards have the same dimensions.  The cards will fit in the other country's system, but it won't work, because the contact pins are arranged in different orders.

Same as above.  Internal mod + converter required.

In addition, a region switch can be installed so you don't have to use a converter.
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=1829.0

vestcoat

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 09:42:26 AM »

Nope.  A US Duo/TG-16 can play Jp games with a converter, but any Japanese system will require an internal hardware mod (to ground pin 29 of one of the IC chips), THEN you can use the converter.

In addition, a region switch can be installed so you don't have to use a converter.

I'm pretty sure most people who go through the trouble of modding their system also install a region switch because converters are so expensive these days.  The exception might be the handhelds because space limitations only leave room for the system to be modded one way or the other.

When someone says get a CoreGrafx instead, are they saying the CoreGrafx can already play both Jap Hucards and US turbochips without any conversion?
They're saying that a cheap TG16 or Coregrafx as a secondary system is an easy alternative to installing a region switch or buying a $100+ converter.  For example, I have a SuperGrafx, Super CD-Rom2 and arcade card.  I can play everything but domestic Turbochips.  Rather than installing a region switch on my Supergrafx, I picked up a cheap TG16 and Turbobooster Plus.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 09:45:34 AM by vestcoat »

Black Tiger

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 01:44:58 PM »
Can someone explain the implicit points behind many of these posts saying a converter is not necessary? A converter is used to use Japanese HuCards with US TurboGrafxs and Duos.

When someone says get a CoreGrafx instead, are they saying the CoreGrafx can already play both Jap Hucards and US turbochips without any conversion? I thought the reason we needed a converter for US consoles was to adjust the physical form factor, and that's it? Apparently not, since I also see references to region codes. does the Coregrafx then play both US and Jap regions while also dealing with the different physical form factors of both Jap Hucards and US turbochips?

Pretty much every Turbochip game is available cheaper as a PCE HuCard and almost none require reading to play. So you can buy a cheap reliable Duo R/RX and play pretty much everything as cheap as possible and play Arcade Card games without messing with a convertor that can cause problems.

Convertors usually sell for more than actual hardware, most people can't do mods themselves and almost no one offers custom Turbo/PCE mods for $$$.

Turbo Duo's have overheating problems. But it just makes more sense to play hundreds of PCE HuCards without a convertor than to wear out your card slot using a convertor over and over again just so you can play dozens of Turbochips without a convertor. Especially when a TG-16 is dirt cheap and connvertors are super expensive.

Because the whole point of convertors is to save money right? Otherwise people would just buy the most expensive U.S. & Japanese hardware instead.

You can buy a reliable PCE Duo R/RX + TG-16 + even a friggin SuperGrafx (and probably squeeze in an Arcade Card) for the price of a single Turbo Duo, let alone the added cost of a convertor.

Do the math (256 bits for the price of 8 bits).
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

termis

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 07:11:54 AM »

I'm pretty sure most people who go through the trouble of modding their system also install a region switch because converters are so expensive these days. 

Yeah, you're probably right on that point.

The exception might be the handhelds because space limitations only leave room for the system to be modded one way or the other.

I've read of it being done, yet I've never seen a picture of it.  I'm not sure if the normal 3" push-button everyone uses would fit in there.  One other way to mod it is using an IC circuit that may take less room than tons of wires flying around, so that could be a solution.  I've also seen what seems to be a smaller 8PDT slide switch in some pics floating around, so that could be the other viable option - if you can find anywhere that sells that particular switch, that is...

Quote from: Black_Tiger
Pretty much every Turbochip game is available cheaper as a PCE HuCard and almost none require reading to play. So you can buy a cheap reliable Duo R/RX and play pretty much everything as cheap as possible and play Arcade Card games without messing with a convertor that can cause problems.

This is true.  I can actually only think of Cadash being one game where you might want the US Turbochip version, but other than that, all other games are just as well with the JP version.  (I'm sure there are other worthy games where you might want English, but Cadash is all I can think of!)

The only reason why I decided on a switch is the fact that I hate the idea of whipping out a separate system just to play some US TurboChip games (though I seem to have plenty of PCE systems!).  And converters have all the problems that Black_Tiger mentioned.

Call me lazy, I guess.