Author Topic: PC Engine DUO, colour/interference issue.  (Read 2222 times)

Goemon

PC Engine DUO, colour/interference issue.
« on: January 20, 2018, 09:05:24 PM »
I bought a DUO recently and it has been recapped and RGB modded.

I’m currently running through a Framemiester and the picture looks like this.

Graphics are overly blue and there is interference that can been seen on the blacks.

The guy I got it from says if works fine on a CRT but I don’t have a CRT to test. Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

mickcris

Re: PC Engine DUO, colour/interference issue.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 12:42:29 AM »
looks like it might be missing red.  what cable are you using?  did the person that modded it supply a cable?  I have seen something similar when a genesis cable is used for a system modded like this:

edit:
looks like there is some purple so maybe just the colors are inverted.  there are 2 ways people usually wire these.  like above and like this:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:44:53 AM by mickcris »

mickcris

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 01:02:22 AM »
i booted up that game and im 99% sure your blue and red are swapped.  you are either going to have to swap them in the cable or on the console.

as for the interference, you may need to ground the din jack better or possibly could be a grounding issue in the cable.

Goemon

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
Hey,

So I took the system round to a friend’s house and on both a CRT and an old LCD the picture displayed correctly, yet running through the Framemeister I get this blue effect.

So I’m not totally convinced it is wired incorrectly.

I would say it’s the Framemeister but every other one of my consoles works fine through the RGB with no colour problems at all...

mickcris

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »
Hey,

So I took the system round to a friend’s house and on both a CRT and an old LCD the picture displayed correctly, yet running through the Framemeister I get this blue effect.

So I’m not totally convinced it is wired incorrectly.

I would say it’s the Framemeister but every other one of my consoles works fine through the RGB with no colour problems at all...

You used the same rgb scart cable as on your framemiester as on those 2 tvs?  I assume you are in Europe if you did.

If it was the same exact cable then I don't know what could be wrong
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:32:08 AM by mickcris »

mickcris

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 08:45:43 PM »
I had a few minutes so I rewired a console wrong (red and blue swap).  Here is what it should look like:

here is what it looks like with red and blue swapped:

here is what yours looks like:

I still think your red and blue need swapped in the cable or console.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:48:11 PM by mickcris »

Goemon

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 03:01:31 AM »
To confirm, this was indeed the red and blue being mixed.

Not sure how the CRT displayed fine, but swapping the red and blue definitely fixed this

Thanks!

mickcris

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:44:49 AM »
To confirm, this was indeed the red and blue being mixed.

Not sure how the CRT displayed fine, but swapping the red and blue definitely fixed this

Thanks!

were you using the same scart cable on the crt?  or were you using a composite video cable.  if you were using a composite video cable, then that would explain why the colors were correct.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 05:20:27 PM »
Also, RGB via Scart will carry composite video, too, either just as a sync signal or as a full video signal. TVs with one Scart input usually accept both signals and either switch automatically (if detected) or need be set manually to RGB mode. TVs with two Scart inputs will usually support RGB on only one of them, while the other one is usually dedicated to composite only and sometimes S-Video.

I once fell into that trap by myself last time I plugged my RGB modded Duo into the wrong one of my TV's two Scart sockets. "What the heck, this is blurry as monkey dung wiped over a safari car's windshield, why are the colors so dull and what's up with that annoying dot crawl interference?". Turns out I was using composite video.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:32:34 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

mickcris

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 12:57:49 AM »
that makes sense.  probably what was happening.