Author Topic: Deep Blue  (Read 545 times)

nat

Deep Blue
« on: November 08, 2006, 03:11:21 PM »
Has anyone here ever beaten Deep Blue?

Contrary to popular opinion, I personally enjoy the game quite a bit. The graphics are actually pretty good for 1989 and are very atmospheric. The music is is also pretty decent except for the third level. (BTW, Pack-In Video: Nintendo called. They want their NES sound chip back.) The bosses are cool, too.

I love shooters, and Deep Blue is particularly challenging. I'm not sure where Deep Blue gets it's bad rap from other than the difficulty. But it's not THAT hard.

There's one particular part in the final level I cannot seemt o get past, however. It's the part that has the falling sea urchins. They fall so fast and they take so much life. Does anyone have a strategy for this  part? It's well into the level, and I'd like to think it's fairly close to the end.

BTW, if you *have* beaten it, please don't spoil the ending. Even if there isn't one.   :D

runinruder

Re: Deep Blue
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 03:40:44 PM »
I've beaten it.   I love it.

There isn't exactly much you can do in the way of "strategy" in that part except stay at the bottom and either pray or pause the game repeatedly to slow things down. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 03:41:05 PM »
Quote from: nat

BTW, Pack-In Video: Nintendo called. They want their NES sound chip back.

Be prepared for the upcoming wrath of Black_Tiger.

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 06:13:31 PM »
hehe..have to give it a try again after reading this :-k
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

sunteam_paul

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 04:39:40 AM »
I am rendered speechless by this thread.  :-#
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Odonadon

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 05:29:22 AM »

Deep Blue is and was one of my all time favourites.  I still enjoy it, but I have never beaten it.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

GUTS

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 07:07:27 AM »
It has good graphics but the way it throws patterns of the same enemies at you over and over is mind-numbing, I kept praying for one environmental hazzard to break up the monotony.  The gameplay reminds me of something that should have been on the Atari 2600.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 07:47:12 AM »
Deep Blue isn't that bad of a game.  Sure, it's monotonous and your ship is so freaking slow that getting hit is unavoidable, but at least it's not Ghost Manor.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 09:18:16 AM »
It has good graphics but the way it throws patterns of the same enemies at you over and over is mind-numbing, I kept praying for one environmental hazzard to break up the monotony.  The gameplay reminds me of something that should have been on the Atari 2600.
Don't compare Deep Blue to Atari 2600 because we all know Atari smokes it.  [-X
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

vestcoat

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 08:12:41 PM »

Yeah, if I were a newcomer visiting this board for the first time I'd think everyone on here is crazy -- Deep Blue, Fighting Street and Ghost Manor all have their own threads relatively close to the top of the forum right now.:)
Perhaps we've exhausted every other NEC-related topic for discussion with the exception of these few black sheep.   :wink:

I have to agree though, Deep Blue isn't that bad.  It has aged terribly, but for it's time it was a ho-hum, playable game.  One of it's strengths is the fact that it's challenging but not impossible.  This can make it slightly addictive even though the play control sucks.
There was a time in 92 when my entire TG16 collection consisted of Keith Courage, Victory Run, Pac Land, Deep Blue and Parasol Stars.  Considering my options and small selection, Deep Blue got a reasonable amount of play and I remember being sorta good at it.  I spent a lot of time in those days with unpopular games simply because I barely had any money.  I pretty much picked up any game I could find for under $15 dollars.  Heck, I had a couple enjoyable mornings playing Hydlide on the NES.

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 08:57:19 PM »
Yeah, if I were a newcomer visiting this board for the first time I'd think everyone on here is crazy -- Deep Blue, Fighting Street and Ghost Manor all have their own threads relatively close to the top of the forum right now.:)
Perhaps we've exhausted every other NEC-related topic for discussion with the exception of these few black sheep.   :wink:
Hahaha, that's too hilarious.  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 10:06:26 AM »
So to append to this thread I started last November, today I finally got past that sea urchin part in the final level and beat the game.

...Or so I thought. What I got was a screen that said "NEXT!" and it looped me back to the beginning and stepped the difficulty up a notch.

Does this happen endlessly or is there a finite number of loops you have to go through to really beat the game? If so, after finishing said number of loops, do you get a "real" ending?

runinruder

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 10:22:41 AM »
I got up to the last level of the loop, but those urchins destroyed me.  That part is really, really hard the second time through. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games