Author Topic: Will this work? Tg16 w CDrom addon, converter and Arcade Card Pro!  (Read 468 times)

thevoiceover

I have a TG16 and CDrom addon..   I also have a converter to play Japanese games, If I purchase an arcade card, will it boot all cd's?  Will this combination work (The TG16CD with Arcade Card Pro)?

:?:

Joe Redifer

Re: Will this work? Tg16 w CDrom addon, converter and Arcade Card Pro!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »
Yes it will work, provided you get the Arcade Card Pro and NOT the Arcade Card Duo.  But what converter do you have?  Is it purple?  Mine is purple and at first the Arcade Card wouldn't work until I cut a trace on the board of the converter (which may have been accidentally connected, not sure).

thevoiceover

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 03:11:02 PM »
I have a 505... It boots to the cdrom screen and says press run to play and doesn't start playing my cdrom games, just sits there... Any ideas guys? This isn't working for me! I just tried it out for the first time about 2 minutes ago, could the arcvade card pro be bad? This is whay I have - the pro.....

Yes it will work, provided you get the Arcade Card Pro and NOT the Arcade Card Duo.  But what converter do you have?  Is it purple?  Mine is purple and at first the Arcade Card wouldn't work until I cut a trace on the board of the converter (which may have been accidentally connected, not sure).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 03:14:27 PM »
Converters have been known to cause issues with the Arcade Cards. Your millage my vary.

thevoiceover

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 03:32:09 PM »
I just want to know if it is the converter causing the problem or the Arcade Card Pro, if it is the card I need to get my money back asap...   Any ideas on what I can do... Does anyone know anyone who can mod a tg16 so I can test the card properly?

Thanks!!

k

TR0N

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 03:57:07 PM »
Quote from: thevoiceover l Does anyone know anyone who can mod a tg16 so I can test the card properly?Thanks!!k[/quote

http://www.multimods.com
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 06:24:29 PM by Tron »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

m1savage

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 04:08:24 PM »
Assuming your system works properly with a US system card and games then I'd bet on the converter being the problem. Like SignOfZeta mentioned, some converters just don't work too well with the arcade cards. For example, on my old workhorse (TG16w/CD) my green "diving board" converter works with some AC games but not others (such as grafx problems in Sapphire etc.). I have 2 purple converters that look exactly the same and one of them has problems but the other works great and I use it all the time. My Kisado converter seems to work fine as well.

Best advice would be to find someone else who could test the ACPro in their system just so you could be sure. Best of luck!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 05:44:57 PM »
I have no idea what a 505 is.  But I bet there is a trace that needs to be cut with an exacto knife.  Sounds similar to what happened with me and my purple converter, if I am remembering right.

m1savage

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 06:18:31 PM »
Here's a picture of the PC-505 converter.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 06:32:23 PM by m1savage »

nat

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 05:35:56 AM »
Assuming your system works properly with a US system card and games then I'd bet on the converter being the problem. Like SignOfZeta mentioned, some converters just don't work too well with the arcade cards. For example, on my old workhorse (TG16w/CD) my green "diving board" converter works with some AC games but not others (such as grafx problems in Sapphire etc.). I have 2 purple converters that look exactly the same and one of them has problems but the other works great and I use it all the time. My Kisado converter seems to work fine as well.

Best advice would be to find someone else who could test the ACPro in their system just so you could be sure. Best of luck!

Here's a trick I've learned seems to work well with these types of problems. For me, it has elimated the "graphics glitches" and other problems (including "hanging" at the System card screen) associated with converters and System/Arcade cards on US systems. YMMV, but this trick has worked *flawlessly* for me for years on converters that normally have issues with these types of cards.

Cut a rectangular piece of cardboard the exact size and shape of a HuCard from a large matchbox or another source of VERY THIN cardboard. When you insert your Arcade Card (or other non-working HuCard) into the converter, insert the piece of cardboard beneath the HuCard so that it is flush with the HuCard on all sides. If your piece of cardboard is too thick, you won't be able to insert it with the HuCard.

What I've found is that for whatever reason, some of the larger Japanese HuCards (Arcade Card, System Card 3.0, SF II)-- generally the ones with the raised label-- don't make contact with some converters the way they should. Adding the cardboard adds a slight thickness to the card and allows it to make proper contact.

Don't ask me why this is, but I've been doing this for ages and never had a single Japanese HuCard not work on my TG-16 using this trick. Good luck!

2X4

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 10:50:13 AM »
I would reccomend having your system modded by the guy at multimods.com.  However, since I don't seem to get a reply from him, it might not be an option.  If did get a reply, tho, it would be way better than having a freaking cluster of crap just to play your cd games.  It looks akward enough just with the cd add-on.  There is always the option of grabbing a jap system for cd games, which would actually be cheaper if you didn't have everything else already.  I just want the u.s. system for nostalgia purposes.  Does anybody know a better way to get ahold of that multimod guy?
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Joe Redifer

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 12:38:03 PM »
It is possible that Mr. Multimod was killed in an incredibly violent multi-vehicle wreck that severed his head and a few other limbs.  Otherwise he should respond.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 03:00:29 PM »
D-Lite has been missing for months, it seems. I haven't seen him here, and he doesn't answer his email (for me at least).

TR0N

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 04:53:15 PM »
D-Lite has been missing for months, it seems. I haven't seen him here, and he doesn't answer his email (for me at least).

Well since he's hasn't come in here... yet to explain what's up with him.

Here's the reason why http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152566

Realy he's had it tough lately.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

2X4

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 03:07:15 AM »
Wow, I think I would have chosen the horribly violent car accident.  I hope things improve for that guy.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .