Author Topic: Order of the Griffon  (Read 866 times)

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Re: Order of the Griffon
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 03:10:57 PM »
OOTG is one of my favs on the TG16.  Totally rad!

It was 1994 when I got this bad boy,  I was playing lots of this, Dungeon Master TQ, and Might and Magic III back then..

All Killer games.

I especially like the D&D settings and official characters from the AD&D universe.
I think the rules they used for OOTG was from late 1st edition and early 2nd edition, cause a couple things don't make much sense.

I still have the D&D collector cards for Kier and Kallak. 
D&D rules!!

Sorry for the dork rant...lol

TurboSage

esteban

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 12:50:58 AM »
By the way, I am enjoying the game more this time around even though I know almost zero about D&D.
Good to hear! :). Dude, check your PM :).
  |    | 

vestcoat

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 01:53:38 PM »

I especially like the D&D settings and official characters from the AD&D universe.
I think the rules they used for OOTG was from late 1st edition and early 2nd edition, cause a couple things don't make much sense.

OOTG uses the Basic D+D rules, which predate Advanced D+D and are neither 1st or 2nd Edition.  Hence Elves, Dwarves and Halflings are classes rather than races and most of the rules are less complex.

I beat this game last week and had a pretty awesome time all the way through.  I wish there had been more big, dramatic battles. Most of them were fairly easy even through I only had two spellcasters in my group.

Charm Person is one of my favorite spells.  Late in the game there are a lot of battles with large groups of evil humans.  I was often able to charm mid-level enemy spellcasters (Enchanters are good targets, Llamas and Sorcerers are difficult) and watch entire hordes of enemies halt their advance and begin attacking and fireballing their now-charmed comrade, often killing more of their allies with the blast radius.  My charmed targets would then respond with webs and fireballs of their own.

Another time I had my dwarf (AC-5) swallow a potion of invulnerability (reducing his AC to -7) before I used Dimension Door to place him right in the middle of a group of beasts that were still fairly distant.  This gave the rest of my party plenty of time to safely bombard the herd with spells and missiles while my almost invincible dwarf hacked it out in the melee.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:52:29 AM by vestcoat »

Black Tiger

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 09:29:30 PM »

OOTG uses the Basic D+D rules, which predate Advanced D+D and are neither 1st or 2nd Edition.  Hence Elves, Dwarves and Halflings are classes rather than races and most of the rules are less complex.

I beat this game last week and had a pretty awesome time all the way through.  I wish there had been more big, dramatic battles; most of them were fairly easy even through I only had two spellcasters in my group.

Charm Person is one of my favorite spells in this game.  Late in the game there are a lot of battles with large groups of evil humans.  I was often able charm mid-level enemy spellcasters (Enchanters are good targets, Llamas and Sorcerers are difficult) and watch entire hordes of enemies halt their advance and begin attacking and fireballing their now-charmed comrade, often killing more of their allies with the blast radius.  My charmed target would then respond with webs and fireballs of their own.

Another time I had my dwarf (AC-5) swallow a potion of invulnerability (reducing his AC to -7) before I used Dimension Door to place him right in the middle of a group of beasts that were still fairly distant.  This gave the rest of my party plenty of time to safely bombard the herd with spells and missiles while my practically invincible dwarf hacked it out in the melee.

It sounds like OOTG is an even better game than I thought, although I'll never be able to appreciate it fully.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 10:39:00 PM »
It sounds like OOTG is an even better game than I thought, although I'll never be able to appreciate it fully.
Agreed. I have barely put any time in this game from what I've played in emulators, so I should really pick it up sometime. Great post, vestcoat; you really make the game sound awesome.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 11:42:07 PM »
Agreed. I have barely put any time in this game from what I've played in emulators, so I should really pick it up sometime. Great post, vestcoat; you really make the game sound awesome.

I can at least vouch that it's still fun and playable for non-D&D nuts. I know that if I'd read some of these posts about "rules" before ever playing it, I'd be intimidated about trying the game.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Bake

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 05:29:16 AM »

I think it's worth getting because it is probably top 3 for RPG's for the turbo grafx.

m1savage

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 07:26:08 AM »
I'm staying home today due to snow so I've been playing it most of the morning.

The manual doesn't help much as it seems they assume you already know the D&D rules. For instance, I didn't know that you want a LOW AC (armor class?) number. Even so, it hasn't stopped me from playing and the game is fun. I did finally print out the maps instead of breaking out the graph paper again. Wasn't ready to get quite THAT geeky this week. Er...let's see, I'm playing an old D&D game on an outdated system and posting about it on a videogame forum....guess my "geekness" is already complete.  :-#

vestcoat

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 10:13:50 AM »
Quote from: Bake link=
I think it's worth getting because it is probably top 3 for RPG's for the turbo grafx.
If you don't count the CD games, it's the ONLY hardcore rpg for the TurboGrafx!
(OK, maybe Double Dungeons too ;)

I can at least vouch that it's still fun and playable for non-D&D nuts. I know that if I'd read some of these posts about "rules" before ever playing it, I'd be intimidated about trying the game.
------
Off the top of my head, here's the rules that aren't touched on in the manual:  (There are some rules I can't tell if they actually programed into the game, they are marked with a *)

1)When you create your characters, ability scores start doing good things when they get above 13-15.  18 is the best.  High dexterity lowers your armor class and improves you chance to hit with missile weapons, str=more damage, better chance to hit in melee, Con=more hit points, Int=Mages and elves memorize more spells*, Wis=same thing but for clerics.*
2)You need magical weapons and spells to attack Devilswine, undead more powerful than ghouls and maybe some other monsters.
3)Armor slows you down, especially plate mail!  Your character won't move as far in battle.
4)Elves can't be charmed*
5)Dwaves and Halflings move slower than humans but dwarves are more resistant to magic and halflings can pick pockets and hit more often with missiles.*
6)Magic wands and staffs have a limited number of charges before they vanish.  This makes them foolish to buy until you've purchased all of the weapons and armor available.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 10:16:57 AM by vestcoat »

wooster

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 05:12:27 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find maps of the dungeons for this game?

wooster

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 05:13:04 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find maps fo the dungeons for this game?

esteban

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 05:17:21 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find maps fo the dungeons for this game?
I haven't checked, but GameFaqs is probably the best place. But, I urge you not to get the maps... because this game really is fun to play without any outside help. :)
  |    | 

wooster

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 08:40:37 AM »
GameFaqs doesn't have a map.

I played through this game in the early 90s. I don't have a problem using maps the 2nd time around.

My favorite game of all time is Alternate Reality for the 8-bit Atari computers. So many nice memories mapping The City. But no way would I have the time to do again, nor enjoy the same way I did when I was a kid.

I'd like to be able to enjoy my old games without having to commit untold hours - this is a big disincentive. Would be such a great contribution to TG16 archives to have some decent maps for this.

Anyway, any help greatly appreciated!

vestcoat

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 08:47:38 AM »

wooster

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 07:15:17 AM »
Hi, thanks a lot. Sorry for being ignorant about the maps. I swear I checked gamefaqs but now look - there they are.

I remember really wanting an RPG turbochip forever on the Turbo. Reading all those great reviews of great SNES and Genesis games. Zilch for TG16. I don't count Neutopia.

Even if it came late, way too late, am glad we finally got Order of the Griffin.