Author Topic: R-Type  (Read 1096 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: R-Type
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 01:27:55 PM »
I don't care much for the music in the arcade version.  The sound hardware they used was pretty tinny and weak sounding.  I prefer the HuCard sounds and even the SMS sounds to the abrasive arcade.  Sounds like an early Genesis game.

nat

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 04:26:09 PM »
So it sounds like the general consensus is the HuCard is the preferred version, despite the fact that the CD has technically superior audio. I played it again tonight, I still stand by the CD.  :)

So has anyone here actually beaten the game? It sounds like most folks don't like the last few levels... is this just because they are too hard? I guess that's the deal for me-- I've never been able to beat level 6.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 05:29:45 PM »
The final four levels just aren't as creative as the first four, and the music isn't as good, either.  I have beaten the SMS version.  I may have beaten the Turbo version but I can't recall.  I bet I could beat it with a Game Genie... if one existed.

I am really sad that the bonus stage that's in the SMS version is missing from all other versions.  That was a really cool level and had some great music.  I'd definitely add it to the list of desirable levels.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 05:15:59 AM »
I am really sad that the bonus stage that's in the SMS version is missing from all other versions.  That was a really cool level and had some great music.  I'd definitely add it to the list of desirable levels.

Yeah I loved that level. It had an admirable amound of sprites on screen for a Master System with no slowdown (at the boss) - as far as I remember anyway. I used to put the invincibility cheat in and let the screen fill up, seeing how full I could get it.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

GUTS

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 06:11:55 AM »
The Master system port was amazing, I'm still blown away by how good of a job they did.

nat

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 06:42:49 AM »
So I wonder why we didn't get the extra level on the TG? Did Irem do both ports themselves? Which port came first?

sunteam_paul

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 08:20:45 AM »
So I wonder why we didn't get the extra level on the TG? Did Irem do both ports themselves? Which port came first?

Sega programmed the SMS version and Hudson did the PC Engine one. The bonus level was probably added by the Sega team for a bit of fun and I guess is not official in any way so it wouldn't appear on any other version. Both were 1988 but I don't know the exact release date of the SMS version to say which is first.
I just felt in a hole!

Tatsujin

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 06:25:55 PM »
this isn't correct at all :wink:

compile programmed the SMS version, while hudson took the part of the PCE version. but contrary to all other R-Type versions existing, hudson contained an extralevelboss for the level 6, which you only can find on the pce r-type.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2006, 06:50:20 PM »

compile programmed the SMS version

This makes an extreme amount of sense.  There are Power Strike jingles hidden in R-Type SMS's sound test (the tune when you get an extra life that plays in Power Strike, Musha, Robo Aleste, etc).  It is not used in the actual game that I know of.

Keranu

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2006, 07:16:14 PM »
Cool shit, I didn't know about this stuff!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

sunteam_paul

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2006, 04:39:02 AM »
Sucks for Compile - they didn't even get a credit on the title screen.
I just felt in a hole!

nat

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2006, 05:37:12 AM »

Well, that's why I was asking.

Hudson doesn't get a credit on the PCE/TG version, either, if they are really the ones who did the port. At least, not on the CD. Irem is the only company mentioned.

GUTS

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2006, 06:20:39 AM »
Its weird how on those old games the companies that actually did the ports didn't get credit until you beat the game, or sometimes not at all.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2006, 06:27:25 AM »

Well, that's why I was asking.

Hudson doesn't get a credit on the PCE/TG version, either, if they are really the ones who did the port. At least, not on the CD. Irem is the only company mentioned.

Hudson do on the card, I wasn't aware they didn't on the CD version.
I just felt in a hole!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2006, 11:30:02 AM »
I thought IREM themselves did the HuCard version and the CD version since the game runs in the higher resolution that IREM games tend to have and that Hudson games never seem to have.