Author Topic: Game of the Month: September 2023 - Override  (Read 449 times)

geise

Game of the Month: September 2023 - Override
« on: September 03, 2023, 11:07:51 PM »
Override

Here is a shooter I've always loved on the PC-Engine. Like most shooters these days it's gone up in price. I was lucky enough to pick this up in the early 2000's so it was a $20 game. No idea these days. Sure it's dumb price now. Anyway the net seems to not like this game but I've always enjoyed it. Sting/Data East did a fine job with this. I dig the tunes and almost put them up there with the Soldier series. Not better but it's got good tunes. The action can get fairly intense and the weapon system is pretty good. So hop into your Gigaiasu tank craft and kill some shit. It's not all to difficult and you all should be able to get a clear this month. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 11:10:02 PM by geise »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Game of the Month: September 2023
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 11:14:19 PM »
This is a decent little shewty.  It's been a good long while since I've played it, so it'll be fun to give it another go.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Samson

Re: Game of the Month: September 2023 - Override
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 11:34:16 AM »
Really underrated shooter in my opinion. Has one of my favorite box arts for any Pc Engine game as well.
"Young man you'd better go back here! Do you think that you can return alive once you go into this island? You must regret it later!" - Legend Of Hero Tonma

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 12:59:00 PM »
The challenge comes from the constant onslaught of enemies. I could get to the end of level 3, but that was it until I cheated and enabled invincibility (just to see the rest of the game). I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but the charge attack seems useless unless you have no power ups when fighting a boss. There is just not enough time to "charge" during the level with all the enemies coming at 'cha.

The game is competent enough but still sits on the C+ or B tier list of STGs for me. Worth a play, but it's not gonna be on my short list of games I'm looking for (mainly due to current asking price)
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Mathius

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 06:07:27 PM »
A solid shewty with a few shortcomings. I picked up this one before the price hike as well, but at that time I remember finding the game to be pretty easy. This is the opposite of Major's experience. I also spammed the heck outta the bomb technique. It's also a shame that I can't remember even one of the stage themes. Turbo/PCE shooter music is nearly always memorable.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Naniyue

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 07:33:04 PM »
I like the game, but it's too hard for me., so I had to cheat.
I can actually get further in Blazing Lazers than I can in Override.