Author Topic: Life span of CD games?  (Read 1386 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: Life span of CD games?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 05:34:59 PM »
I think the moral of the story is that plastic from the 70's sucks.  It's not space-age like the plastic we use now.

grahf

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 01:14:31 AM »
So...you want me to lube the screws on my Duo???
 :shock:

HAHA, not a good idea. Not even if your Duo is made out of brown plastick with a fake woodgrain top.  :wink:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 04:10:36 AM »
Hey I have that clock!  Blue LEDs, large snooze button, radio, "Realistic" logo (I think)...

grahf

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 04:30:29 AM »
Nope, here it is in all its glory:   http://cgi.ebay.com/GE-Digital-Clock-AM-FM-Radio-Battery-Backup-Good-Cond_W0QQitemZ160058936336QQihZ006QQcategoryZ79643QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Best alarm clock EVER. Then again, it really is the only one ive ever had.

Keranu

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 05:42:45 AM »
Nope, here it is in all its glory:   http://cgi.ebay.com/GE-Digital-Clock-AM-FM-Radio-Battery-Backup-Good-Cond_W0QQitemZ160058936336QQihZ006QQcategoryZ79643QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Best alarm clock EVER. Then again, it really is the only one ive ever had.

Hey I have an alarm just like that one somewhere, it might even be the same one! Last time I saw it, it still worked great.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 08:44:52 AM »
Hey I have that clock!  Blue LEDs, large snooze button, radio, "Realistic" logo (I think)...
Ahhh, you've been shopping at Radio Shack, home of the "Realistic" badge :). I actually had an awesome Realistic boombox back in the day. It was great. A few years later, I discovered that it was a re-badged Sony model. The tape decks broke a few years ago and I finally had to part with it. I didn't want to, but I knew I would never be able to fix the decks.
  |    | 

GUTS

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 11:38:50 AM »
Radioshack used to have the weirdest brands, I remember almost buying a Tandy computer from them WAY back in like 88 or 89 when I was saving up some money.  Kinda wish I would have now instead of blowing the money on something I can't even remember.

Keranu

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 11:45:21 AM »
I had a Tandy 1000 computer, I loved that thing!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 02:52:42 PM »
Radioshack used to have the weirdest brands, I remember almost buying a Tandy computer from them WAY back in like 88 or 89 when I was saving up some money.  Kinda wish I would have now instead of blowing the money on something I can't even remember.
True story: My uncle was going to buy a Tandy, but he ended up getting a WANG. No kidding! I've never done any research (I suppose I should have, prior to posting), but I remember him telling us that Wang Computers were well-known and reputable. Of course, as a wee kid, I had only heard of Apples and Vics and Commodores. This was back in the day (early to mid 80's) when home computer = cutting-edge technology.
  |    | 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 03:01:27 PM »
Home computers are no longer cutting edge technology.  Nowadays they are space age technology.  My how time flies.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 03:01:54 PM »
double post. sorry

Keranu

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 03:48:42 PM »
Home computers are no longer cutting edge technology.  Nowadays they are space age technology.  My how time flies.
Then give me the cutting edge technology.

esteban

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 04:15:10 PM »
No, I don't want cutting-edge, bleeding-edge or space-age. Just give me my Wang:

Wang was one of the first computer companies to advertise on television, and the first to run an ad during the Super Bowl. Their first ad literally cast Wang Laboratories as David and IBM as Goliath. A later ad depicted Wang Laboratories as a helicopter gunship taking aim at IBM.

Holy crap, I want to see those commercials! Sorry for the derailing...

Getting back on topic (errr, or returning to one of the previous tangents): my parents keep an ancient clock radio next to their fancy stereo. The reason? That stupid little clock radio pulls in all the difficult AM/FM stations. The fancy stereo with fancy antennas struggles on said stations.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 04:45:24 PM by stevek666 »
  |    | 

FM-77

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 09:17:27 PM »
Your CDs will last forever. Period.

Especially PC Engine games as its CD-ROM drive is rated at 1X.

Really old CDs that's been exposed to years of sunlight can easily explode if you use them in a fast (52X, for example) CD-ROM reader.

esteban

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2006, 02:24:48 AM »
This one's for you Joe: Yesterday, we were decorating the xmas tree and I was trying to get some xmas tunes. Well, lo and behold, it turns out that my parents-in-law have this beauty in their living room:

Clarinette 90! Radio Shack had an entire line of stereos/radios with that name, IIRC. Awesome. When it comes to product names, "Clarinette" is right up there with "Zune" :). Please note: Clarinette isn't nearly as goofy sounding.

The tape deck was broken, though :(, So we couldn't listen to my wife's old christmas album by NKOTB. Dammmit! I wanted it to be a Funky Funky Xmas.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 02:33:11 AM by stevek666 »
  |    |