Author Topic: Fulfilling a dream  (Read 578 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Fulfilling a dream
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 04:34:58 PM »
i've probably said this before, but I'll say it again. This is why I hate pac-land:

1) it's stoopid easy. you almost have to try to get hit by enemies. i'm no expert gamer, either; i generally prefer my games relatively easy. but this isn't even slightly challenging.

2) the default control scheme is bizzare.

3) the music is boring as hell. the same music repeated over and over and over and over.

4) it goes on FOREVER. since it was so stupid easy i figured i may as well blow through it just to see the end; i literally nodded off while playing. There seemed to be no end in sight.

the only good thing I can say about pac land is that the graphics are cute.

You could say the same things about puzzle games like Tetris, except for the difficulty part.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 05:15:51 AM »
i've probably said this before, but I'll say it again. This is why I hate pac-land:

1) it's stoopid easy. you almost have to try to get hit by enemies. i'm no expert gamer, either; i generally prefer my games relatively easy. but this isn't even slightly challenging.

2) the default control scheme is bizzare.

3) the music is boring as hell. the same music repeated over and over and over and over.

4) it goes on FOREVER. since it was so stupid easy i figured i may as well blow through it just to see the end; i literally nodded off while playing. There seemed to be no end in sight.

the only good thing I can say about pac land is that the graphics are cute.

You could say the same things about puzzle games like Tetris, except for the difficulty part.
I like Pac Land, but I do wish that it was more challenging (even if the default is easy, at least provide an option for "super duper tough" mode).

But I like Pac Land. Now, when my friend bought this back in the day I felt sorry for him. It was a budget title on sale, so he picked this up along with another budget title. If I had spent $25+ on Pac Land, I don't think I would have had as much fun playing it :).
  |    | 

nat

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 10:37:44 AM »
I like Pac Land, but I do wish that it was more challenging (even if the default is easy, at least provide an option for "super duper tough" mode).

But I like Pac Land. Now, when my friend bought this back in the day I felt sorry for him. It was a budget title on sale, so he picked this up along with another budget title. If I had spent $25+ on Pac Land, I don't think I would have had as much fun playing it :).

They do.

Beat the game in the normal mode and then you can play through an altered version of the game called "Pac-Land PRO". Even the title screen is different. The PRO version is significantly harder. I remember flying through the regular version just to play PRO when I was younger. I got Pac-Land as a gift when it came out. It was one of my first TurboGrafx games ever. I can't remember if I ever beat PRO. The levels were different and harder. The color scheme for PRO was also significantly altered from the regular game.

esteban

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 08:34:33 PM »

They do.

Beat the game in the normal mode and then you can play through an altered version of the game called "Pac-Land PRO". Even the title screen is different. The PRO version is significantly harder. I remember flying through the regular version just to play PRO when I was younger. I got Pac-Land as a gift when it came out. It was one of my first TurboGrafx games ever. I can't remember if I ever beat PRO. The levels were different and harder. The color scheme for PRO was also significantly altered from the regular game.
One more reason to like Pac Land ! :). I wonder how many of us can legitimately claim to be PRO's at Pac Land?

For the record, I must have played the PRO mode back in the day, but I have absolutely no recollection of it. Now I am wondering if there is a THIRD loop (distinct from the 2nd loop) ??!! My friend, who owned the game, was the sort of person who would have played the game until he exhausted it. That said, I still can't remember much about this game...
  |    | 

Tatsujin

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 08:55:36 PM »
just a funny game and some 100 trips later, challenging as well. just remember when we played throug that one at a game nights next morning, each by each. wasn't done in 10 minutes. :-"
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^