Author Topic: Let's talk about Hamburger Helper!  (Read 981 times)

Dark Fact

Let's talk about Hamburger Helper!
« on: December 15, 2006, 03:14:11 PM »

Ah, Hamburger Helper! The packaged mix of pasta, sauce mix, and other herbs & spices that we all like to buy in our grocery stores and blend it with ground beef to make a tasty lunch or dinner treat! Admit it, we've all had our share of the famous ground beef kit sometime in our lives so why don't we share our fondest memories of it? It could be about that very first time that you've had a taste of Hamburger Helper, how Hamburger Helper was a major part of your life during the Reagan administration or just flat out say what your favorite flavour is?

The premise was simple: you bought a pack of Hamburger Helper, browned up some ground beef, mixed in the pasta and sauce mix, and voila! Lunch or dinner is served! For me? I always make an effort to purchase the Lasagne flavour in addition to any other flavour.  Lasagne is not only my favourite flavour, it was the very first flavour I ever had of Hamburger Helper...and this was when I was 6! Since that first fateful bite, there was no turning back.

Nowadays, I make an effort to try out every flavour of Hamburger Helper but to this day, no flavour I've tried was ever able to beat Lasagne.  That flavour was just too good for me! :P

Hamburger Helper makes a great meal! Just talk to the hand! =; The helping hand that is! :wink:

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Hobo Xiphas

Re: Let's talk about Hamburger Helper!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 04:27:32 PM »
I hear leftover Hamburger Helper is great in a casserole.

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 05:01:15 PM »
Very nice thread  :clap: . Unfortunately, I don't really like Hamburger Helper and I don't really have a favorite  :oops: .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Bonknuts

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 12:16:37 AM »
Ohhh god, the Lasagne one is nasty. Doesn't taste anything close to Lasagne - taste more like someone dumped generic spaghettiO's sause into the mix or something along those lines. Same goes for the zesty Italian one.

But.... all the others kick ass. It's like crack - the very reason I don't eat it much. If there were a situation were I could only eat one type of food for the rest of my life, I would have to choose Hamburger Helper (excluding the ones I listed). It even taste great cold :dance:

cavein2000

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 03:48:43 AM »
I went with "other" as my choice.  Although I haven't had every variety (or even close to) I have to say that the cheesy enchillada version is totally rad and mostly jawesome!!
What a horrible night to have a curse...

termis

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 04:18:57 AM »
Mmm - I Looooove Zesty Italian.  But I've had a tough time locating it in regular supermarkets these days..  (with all the moving around between various countries might have something to do with that.) 

In fact, last time I had it was when my ex from university days 'bout 7 years ago brought some over for me, as her dad bought some from the Px.   

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 12:03:27 PM »
I went with "other" as my choice.  Although I haven't had every variety (or even close to) I have to say that the cheesy enchillada version is totally rad and mostly jawesome!!
I've always wanted to give Cheesy Enchillada a try, same with Crunchy Taco. I'm not very well experienced in the Hamburger Helper area, unfortunately :( .
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

cavein2000

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 03:33:51 AM »
I've always wanted to give Cheesy Enchillada a try, same with Crunchy Taco. I'm not very well experienced in the Hamburger Helper area, unfortunately :( .

Right on, Me and the gf were shopping last night and I def stopped to pay homage to the helper section.  There are also some varieties of chicken helper which I have tried too.  But back to the hamburger helper - cheesy enchillada is jawesome and I will soon hook up the crunchy taco as well!!
What a horrible night to have a curse...

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 10:28:56 AM »
Please post how the Crunchy Taco flavor is :) .

termis

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 02:10:08 PM »
This post made me go run out and made me buy some HH.

Had lasagna.  Dang it was good.  :D 

Still looking for that elusive Zesty Italian...   :?

Bonknuts

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 07:00:49 PM »
This post made me go run out and made me buy some HH.

Same here, but I went with the cheese burger with *double cheese selection. 1.3 lbs of meat to two boxes of mix. I don't like a lot of meat in the mix.

Just an FYI -  I'd have to say the chicken one is pretty decent.

Dark Fact

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 01:49:34 PM »
Glad to see the majority here are fans of the Helper! :D
Ohhh god, the Lasagne one is nasty. Doesn't taste anything close to Lasagne - taste more like someone dumped generic spaghettiO's sause into the mix or something along those lines. Same goes for the zesty Italian one.

But.... all the others kick ass. It's like crack - the very reason I don't eat it much. If there were a situation were I could only eat one type of food for the rest of my life, I would have to choose Hamburger Helper (excluding the ones I listed). It even taste great cold
Lasagne? Nasty? Hmmm, maybe the ingredients they use for the Canadian distributed version are different from the American version because the Lasagne up out here is pretty good.  Oh, and I don't ever eat Hamburger Helper cold because I find it tastes like crap.  It's gotta be heated up for me.
Quote from: thumpin' ternis
Mmm - I Looooove Zesty Italian.  But I've had a tough time locating it in regular supermarkets these days..  (with all the moving around between various countries might have something to do with that.) 

In fact, last time I had it was when my ex from university days 'bout 7 years ago brought some over for me, as her dad bought some from the Px.   
You wanna know something amazing? My mother once bought Zesty Italian Hamburger Helper and opted to make it without the use of ground beef.  Yeah, I know...WTF? But let me continue: my mother served it to me with a mix of veggies like celery and carrots and by God it was surprisingly good! I would be lying to myself right now if it wasn't 5 star eating right there! So it goes to show that Hamburger Helper has other good uses besides ground beef. :wink:

Now for the record, I've also seen chicken and tuna helper but we never bought any of it for chicken or tuna.  I hope to one day.

By the way, sometimes I heat up Hamburger Helper and mix in some tabasco sauce and chili powder and voila! Tortilla dip!

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

termis

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 03:03:24 PM »
Haven't tried the Chicken helper, but Tuna helper isn't half bad.  Does kinda stink up the kitchen, though.

You are now on my blacklist for not recognizing the two best HH flavors. :evil:

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 04:45:25 PM »
God, SpaghettiOs are so nasty.

Black Tiger

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 12:15:09 AM »
Glad to see the majority here are fans of the Helper! :D
Lasagne? Nasty? Hmmm, maybe the ingredients they use for the Canadian distributed version are different from the American version because the Lasagne up out here is pretty good.  Oh, and I don't ever eat Hamburger Helper cold because I find it tastes like crap.  It's gotta be heated up for me.

Kinda like Kraft Dinner huh?  :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum