Author Topic: Space Harrier  (Read 1743 times)

sunteam_paul

Re: Space Harrier
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 09:01:45 PM »
Anyone know how to turn off the 3D mode in Space Harrier 3D? I want to try to play through it but I don't have any sort of 3D glasses.

GameFAQs says:

Continue gameplay when game is over
Get to the Gameover screen, and press Up, 2, 1, 2, 1, 1 quickly to start playing the game again from where you left off.

Level Select
Get to the Gameover screen, and get a ranking over 6th. Put in your name as 'Level' on control pad 2.

Play in 2D
Enter ''THREE'' as your intials on the high score screen.

Sound Test
Get to the Gameover screen, and get a ranking over 6th. Put in your name as 'Sound' on control pad 2.

The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

sunteam_paul

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 09:22:15 PM »
I don't understand why people think Space Fantasy Zone (specifically the scailing) looks so bad. To me it always seemed to look just as good as the Space Harrier HuCard, except with better graphics. I think it's a really cool game, but I also agree with you that they should've utilized the extra RAM on the Super CD format.

Looking at it closely, the number of steps in the scaling is virtually identical (6 for ground objects, 7-8 for 'tree type' objects). But the tall objects in SFZ seem to 'jump' up a lot more than those in SH which are generally smoother. Possibly the slower pace of SFZ has something to do with this.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Tatsujin

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 09:54:58 PM »
Play in 2D
Enter ''THREE'' as your intials on the high score screen.

unbelievable  :mrgreen:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 11:36:35 PM »
Yes, remember that you MUST use pad 2 to enter THREE to get the 2D mode in Space Harrier 3D.  The letters won't appear as you press the buttons, so don't be concerned.  a 3D mode ON/OFF screen will then appear.  many 3D games let you select this on the title screen simply by pressing pause, but Space Harrier 3D you must actually play far enough to score 6th or higher!  Kudos to anyone who can beat this game.  I'm not entirely sure the level select works, though.

esteban

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2006, 02:15:01 AM »
Yes, remember that you MUST use pad 2 to enter THREE to get the 2D mode in Space Harrier 3D.  The letters won't appear as you press the buttons, so don't be concerned.  a 3D mode ON/OFF screen will then appear.  many 3D games let you select this on the title screen simply by pressing pause, but Space Harrier 3D you must actually play far enough to score 6th or higher!  Kudos to anyone who can beat this game.  I'm not entirely sure the level select works, though.
This is because Sega knew that Space Harrier fans are hardcore :).

All of this talk about SH 3D has made me really, really, really want to get this game. More than the Saturn version, even (probably because I'm worried that the Saturn version goes for $$$). With my luck, both of them are $$$.

Realize that this is my fear talking. I haven't a clue as to how much they go for.
  |    | 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2006, 09:02:56 AM »
Just for fun I scanned part of the TG-16 manual and filled in the correct names (in red).

Those crazy Japanese and their mixing of L's and R's.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 09:05:54 AM by Joe Redifer »

Keranu

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »
Oui Oui Jumbo kicks Wi Wi Jumbo's ass :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2006, 08:59:29 PM »
I played around with Space Harrier 3D today. I guess all I needed was to enter that code with pad 2 (thanks to Joe). I had tried it in the past with pad 1, since no where online does it say a second pad is needed.

First impressions: Difficult! This game is hard. I think this is mostly due, unfortunately, to choppy animation and graphics. One second an enemy shot is way off, the next frame it's in your face and you're dogmeat. I think this game might be more choppy than the SMS port of the original. The background scenery and landscape look better, though. I like the music. There are a few reprisals from the original game and some new tunes as well. I only got a few stages into it today. I have to say, though, there is something strangely compelling about this game, novelty of the 3D aspect aside (since I can't play it that way anyway). This is the original sequel. I like it better than "Space Harrier II" which is far easier.

Joe, have you beaten this one? How many stages are we looking at?

Joe Redifer

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2006, 11:06:32 PM »
I have never beaten it.  Too hard.  The game runs at half of the frame rate because it is a 3D game based on a previous 2D game.  Basically for 3D games the Master System must draw one screen for the left eye and another different one for the right eye, so that means it is basically drawing twice the game info.  So yeah, this game is choppier alright, as is Out Run 3D.  Most other 3D games are silky smooth thanks to the immense processing power of the Sega Master System (which is even more powerful than the space shuttle).

According to the manual, there are 13 stages.  Also the manual says that the "LEVEL" code entered on pad 2 is for difficulty select, allowing an easy mode (which I think is only one more life and no other differences).  The manual also says that when the GAME OVER screen appears, enter 2-1-2-1-1 to continue.  Then it immediately says that the code must be entered before the GAME OVER screen or it won't work.  Take your pick, I guess.

Tatsujin

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2006, 01:40:03 AM »
seems like a japanese did the translation for the engrish manual :lol: :lol: :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net

esteban

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2007, 02:09:55 PM »
Joe, I love the corrections you made to the TG-16 booklet.

IMO, Oui Oui Jumbo is a MUCH kooler name. I always thought of it as french thing, which made the TG-16 version that much classier than the other versions.

I was just looking at the SMS booklet the other day because I found the cart, but alas I have yet to unpack any of my consoles.
  |    | 

Digi.k

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2007, 09:01:14 AM »
quickly glanced through this thread.. so those that wanna see the japanese booklet here's a few scans..

I do quite like the pc engine version. although graphically it coulda been much better.. especially that checkerboard flooring thats missing.  Sonically the music is pretty good but the sampled speech again coulda been better. Gameplay is pretty tight too.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2007, 09:12:50 AM »
"Relcome to da Rantasy Rone,rit Ready!" Say that while gargling water and you have the voice samples for the game.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2007, 01:01:26 PM »
LOL, I don't need water, I can do that while gargling spit!

Man, why do the Japanese get all of the cool manuals?  They have every page in full color with RGB quality screenshots while we have black and white with crappy drawings.  What the hell?  They actually hired an artist to redraw the screenshots as poorly as possible!

Tatsujin

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2007, 01:58:28 PM »
once, one thing has to be said. there is absolutely no other system existing, where the gameboxes and manuals were foozled that much as for the TG-16. poorly as possible indeed.
www.pcedaisakusen.net