Author Topic: Space Harrier  (Read 1746 times)

nat

Re: Space Harrier
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 03:01:01 PM »
OK, I might as well chime in, since this was one of my favorite games on tg-16 back in the day (some of you might know the uber-nerdy things I did concerning Space Harrier).

Anyway, I love SMS Space Harrier... but if I had to choose my favorite, it would be the tg-16 version. The reason is simple: the tg-16 version plays so damn nice. It is a pleasure to play, truly. The SMS does not feel as polished; the controls are not as tight.

Forget about the graphics, the colors, etc. etc.: Which version allows you to become "one with the game" and offers a zen-like experience?

Also, one thing that no one has mentioned yet is that Space Harrier has, IMO, incredible replay value. I've played this game (and many other installments) a zillion times... and yet, I really don't get sick of it. While there are many games that I have played obsessively for relatively short periods of time, there are few titles that I routinely go back to. Space Harrier is that rare breed.

Thank you! You just summed up everything I've been trying to say. Space Harrier on the Turbo really does let you immerse yourself in the game like no other.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 03:56:53 PM »
I agree, Space Harrier is a true gem in almost any form.

Well I played the TG-16 version again and I think the control is a bit twitchy compared to the Saturn and 32X versions which are the ones I usually play (since they're pretty much 100% arcade perfect).  It's funny that there is even a true debate over the SMS vs the TG-16 version... there shouldn't be.  But yeah, the SMS version is a lot slower.

Here's a fun comparison I did.  I took each picture from my TV with my digital camera just for fun, trying to capture each in a similar state:

Also, here is a cool MP3 comparing the scream and "Get Ready!" sounds in each of those versions, and it is presented in the same order as the pic above as well (from top to bottom):
http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/crap/getready.mp3
  -   960K or something like that.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 03:58:50 PM by Joe Redifer »

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 05:01:29 PM »
I played the SMS version again today (inspired by this thread) via emulation and an SFX gamepad I have hooked up to my computer. Better than I remember, but not much. The choppiness combined with overlapping enemy graphics make it harder and take some getting used to. I've never played through the SMS versioin, but maybe I will to see this Hiya Oh you speak of...
OK, I might as well chime in, since this was one of my favorite games on tg-16 back in the day (some of you might know the uber-nerdy things I did concerning Space Harrier).
[/quote]
Oh yes, I can't forget that awesome artwork you (or one of your bros?) made and submitted to TurboPlay of Space Harrier!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »
Hey, that's a cool comparison. I've never seen that Playstation 2 "port" before. It's like Space Harrier Remix.

Look at the ridiculous scoring on the TG-16 version compared ot all the other versions. It's like they added an extra digit for no reason. Even the "TOP" score has an extra zero tacked on the end. As if for some reason the original scoring method wasn't adequate.

Did you play it with the TurboStick, Joe?  :wink:

Space Harrier alone might be make it worthwhile for me to get a Saturn.

Keranu

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 05:09:16 PM »
Hey, that's a cool comparison. I've never seen that Playstation 2 "port" before. It's like Space Harrier Remix.
It's one of those Sega Ages remakes. It's not too bad, but I hated the new age style to the game and the awful PS2 emotion engine blur effects. There are some power ups you can get in this version too that were kind of cool if I remember. This version is also a lot easier than the others.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 06:46:02 PM »

Did you play it with the TurboStick, Joe?

No, because I detest the TurboStick (even though I own one).  There is nowhere to rest the side of my left palm and the whole thing is just so small and cheap-feeling.  Now if I could play with my Sega Arcade Stick (for the Genesis) that'd be a different story.  That's by far the most comfortable joystick released by a first-party ever.

Space Harrier alone might be make it worthwhile for me to get a Saturn.

There are many reasons to get a Saturn, and that is a good one.  Just get a USA Saturn and Sega Ages by Working Designs (I have no idea how "L@@K RARE!!!!" it is).  As a bonus it also comes with the arcade version of Out Run and After Burner II.

guyjin

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 08:09:11 PM »
the Saturn and 32X versions look almost identical to each other; the only difference i can see is that the shadow of the dragon is transparent on the Saturn, and not on the 32x.

i actually have the 32x and master system versions. I greatly prefer the 32x version; i find the SMS version painful to look at.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 02:44:04 AM »
Damn these game threads!  I've never played Space Harrier on the ol' Turbo, but now I have to.  I guess the Duo needs Christmas presents too. 8)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 02:55:58 AM »

Did you play it with the TurboStick, Joe?

No, because I detest the TurboStick (even though I own one).  There is nowhere to rest the side of my left palm and the whole thing is just so small and cheap-feeling.  Now if I could play with my Sega Arcade Stick (for the Genesis) that'd be a different story.  That's by far the most comfortable joystick released by a first-party ever.

Actually, I feel your pain here.... Although I don't think the TurboStick feels cheap, I *do* have the same issue with the palms. But I've gotten used to it over time... I like it for the fighting games (SF II, Fatal Fury 2, etc) and, of course, the SEGA arcade ports. Everything else I'll stick to the 'Pad.

Speaking of joysticks, are there any third-party joysticks available for the Turbo?

Damn these game threads!  I've never played Space Harrier on the ol' Turbo, but now I have to.

Do it!! If you like the original, you'll love it.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 04:29:03 AM »

Speaking of joysticks, are there any third-party joysticks available for the Turbo?

I have one of the joysticks with both buttons on the stick (by Quickshot, I think).  Kinda awkward, but it leaves the other hand free to hold the damn thing down. There is also the Beeshu - Ultimate Superstick.  I've haven't tried that one yet, but it looks sturdy.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

runinruder

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 06:45:33 AM »

I actually like the TurboStick's compact size.  It allows me to hold it in a way similar to how I hold a regular controller (I can still use my right thumb to hit the buttons, which feels much more comfortable to me).  On the contrary, I got rid of my Sega Arcade Stick because I found it too big, heavy, and uncomfortable.   

For most Turbo games, it doesn't really matter to me whether I'm using the stick or pad, but Shape Shifter was one that really felt good with the TurboStick. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 11:51:56 AM »
I pretty much don't like sticks for any game except Ghostbusters on the Genesis for whatever reason.  I am a pad man.  I use a pad for my Neo Geo as well.  I just react faster and far more precisely with a pad.

Black Tiger

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2006, 02:36:36 PM »
I hate all joysticks. They're not as accurate/responsive as a pad. I used the Turbo Stick and Genesis Arcade Stick a lot back in the day, before I figured out that joysticks are no good.

The voice in the SMS Space Harriers sound better than the Turbo version. I rented the Turbo version back in the day and didn't play very far since I wasn't too impressed. We never had a Space Harrier arcade in my hometown, so the game didn't have any kind of extra sentimental value. From what I've seen here though, it looks like a decent port.

I finished the Genesis version as a rental. It was one of the first Genesis games I played through.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 02:55:11 PM »
I pretty much don't like sticks for any game except Ghostbusters on the Genesis for whatever reason.  I am a pad man.  I use a pad for my Neo Geo as well.  I just react faster and far more precisely with a pad.
Same here.
  |    | 

nat

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 03:03:21 PM »
Anyone know how to turn off the 3D mode in Space Harrier 3D? I want to try to play through it but I don't have any sort of 3D glasses.