Author Topic: Space Harrier  (Read 1744 times)

Michael Helgeson

Re: Space Harrier
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2007, 02:10:41 PM »
Yea the USA artwork is laughably ugly as hell before the TTI days.

esteban

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2007, 02:10:53 PM »
once, one thing has to be said. there is absolutely no other system existing, where the gameboxes and manuals were foozled that much as for the TG-16. poorly as possible indeed.
Seriously. Well, the North American SMS booklets were nearly as threadbare as the early TG-16 booklets... but it wasn't until Working Designs (and later, TTi) that we got a handful of nicely done manuals.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2007, 02:38:56 PM »
I disagree. I enjoy reading my TG16 manuals much more than my PCE, but that's probably because I don't know Japanese. But still, I love the cheesy text and artwork in the TG16 manuals that it becomes a fun ritual for me to read them as soon as I get them. Also another fun thing about the TG16 manuals is on the back of them when it says "Have you played these other Turbo Chip games?". I like to see which games I own from the games it lists!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2007, 03:02:08 PM »
to be honest, the only predestination of TG-16 box/m is making someone laughing at it.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

nat

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2007, 03:49:44 PM »
I agree with Keranu. TurboGrafx-16 manuals are my lifeblood. For me, instead of reading the "Have you tried..." lists I always liked the "Playing tips" section.

Keranu

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2007, 04:19:22 PM »
Oh yes, I love the playing tips section as well, even though there were a lot of unusefull tips. A funny tip I read recently was in the Psychosis manual where it said "In Area 2, try pausing the game constantly so you can see where enemies and bullets are going to go." I thought it was funny for the instruction manual to give out such a cheap trick.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2007, 05:50:39 PM »
Those "Playing Tips" are great.  I know I couldn't have gotten far without the wise tips offered by the game master who wrote them.  With tips equivalent to "If there is a ledge you can't reach, try pressing the jump button", it really helps me out in my game.

nat

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2007, 03:48:25 AM »
That's why I enjoyed reading them so much. That's the point. Ocassionally there was a worthwhile nugget of goodness to be had, but most of the time they were almost as entertaining as the game itself.

esteban

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2007, 04:58:13 AM »
That's why I enjoyed reading them so much. That's the point. Ocassionally there was a worthwhile nugget of goodness to be had, but most of the time they were almost as entertaining as the game itself.
Seriously, if someone tallied the useful vs. inane tips, I think you'd find possibly four genuinely helpful tips in all of the manuals, combined.
  |    | 

GUTS

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2007, 07:26:21 AM »
I remember a couple of them giving level select codes I think?  Or maybe I'm thinking of the old Sega Master system manuals that also had a "tips" section.

Back before the internet the "have you tried..." list was one of the few ways I had of finding out about other Turbo games, so I always made mental notes of the names that sounded cool.

Black Tiger

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2007, 08:40:23 AM »
I remember a couple of them giving level select codes I think?  Or maybe I'm thinking of the old Sega Master system manuals that also had a "tips" section.

Back before the internet the "have you tried..." list was one of the few ways I had of finding out about other Turbo games, so I always made mental notes of the names that sounded cool.

I like the old Turbografx-16 manuals.

I remember that the manual of SMS Wonderboy III had a screenshot with a password that turned out to be a Hu-Man code.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2007, 09:03:38 AM »
I'm not sure if I can remember any level select codes, but I know for the J.J. and Jeff manual, the tip section told you how to continue when you get a game over and this was really useful to me since I had no idea you could even do that since how obscure it was by pressing SELECT + II + I + RUN (I think). They did this for another game too I believe, just can't remember which.

nat

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2007, 11:00:37 AM »
Space Harrier had a continue code in it, too. That's the single useful tip I remember gleaning from the TG manuals back in the day.

nat

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2007, 11:06:02 AM »
Speaking of Space Harrier, did anybody ever call the TG game hint line? I did and they gave me the debug screen code for Space Harrier and Keith Courage. Then they sent me a Bonk's Adventure t-shirt. The shirt was so f*cking small I threw it out when I got older. Now, I sooooo wish I had kept it even though there is no way in hell it would fit anyone over 10 years old.

Keranu

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2007, 11:21:55 AM »
I've tried calling various TG16 hotlines throughout the past few years, but they aren't available :( . I believe one of them is 1-(708)-FUN-TG16.