Author Topic: TurboChip DUDS  (Read 2227 times)

Emerald Rocker

Re: TurboChip DUDS
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2006, 09:52:21 AM »
And this is why Bonk's Adventure is the best selling Virtual Console game so far?

Yes, you are correct.  Bonk is the best-selling VC game because the legions of Sega/Nintendo fans have never played it before, and they're discovering that they hate it.  Chalk up another TurboChip DUD!
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

guyjin

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2006, 11:51:47 AM »
shut up. :evil:
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Joe Redifer

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2006, 12:31:42 PM »
If Bonk was on a HuCard, it would be so much better.

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2006, 01:08:30 PM »
The average HuCard is pretty lame, too.  My point is, on the VC, a lot of people are buying the game they heard about but never played (that game being Bonk).  However, it's an old game, and the control is somewhat sloppy.  That was a complaint of mine when the game was new, even.  So these people who never played a TG-16 are downloading this old game that holds *zero* nostalgic memories for them, and they're discovering: it looks old, it sounds old, and it plays old.

That's why, as Seldane pointed out, people on non-PCE forums are bashing the VC version of Bonk.  They heard for years that it was the "Turbo's answer to Mario and Sonic", and they're underwhelmed.  It's got nothing to do with TurboChip vs HuCard.  It's got more to do with Bonk not having the same timeless appeal as Sonic or Mario.  Bonk was a decent (but not great) game that TG-16 fans rallied around because they had nothing better.

The above covers my feelings on Legendary Axe, too.  I'd be curious to see what members at non-PCE boards say once that gets released to the VC.

Black Tiger

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2006, 01:29:50 PM »
Probably only like 10% of Turbochips are true garbage or kinda to pretty bad, where as the big systems have no less than 25% and some as high as like 40% or more.

Give a TG16 to someone who's never even seen one before and he'll disagree.

I'm not talking about the tastes of the jeniuses who bought a million copies of 50 Cent: Bullet Proof. The average g@meR would think that all TG-16, Genesis, NES & SNES games are completely worthless.

The average HuCard is pretty lame, too.  My point is, on the VC, a lot of people are buying the game they heard about but never played (that game being Bonk).  However, it's an old game, and the control is somewhat sloppy.  That was a complaint of mine when the game was new, even.  So these people who never played a TG-16 are downloading this old game that holds *zero* nostalgic memories for them, and they're discovering: it looks old, it sounds old, and it plays old.

That's why, as Seldane pointed out, people on non-PCE forums are bashing the VC version of Bonk.  They heard for years that it was the "Turbo's answer to Mario and Sonic", and they're underwhelmed.  It's got nothing to do with TurboChip vs HuCard.  It's got more to do with Bonk not having the same timeless appeal as Sonic or Mario.  Bonk was a decent (but not great) game that TG-16 fans rallied around because they had nothing better.

I don't think that the Sonic games have much timeless appeal for non-fans either. This last batch of garbage Sonic games should be the final nail in the coffin for the series for a while until it can get rebooted by someone other than Sonic Team who can do it some justice.

And although a modernization of the Mario formula works for the masses(New SMB), I don't think that the modern GaM3rZ could handle Super Mario Bros NES.

I also thought that Bonk's Adventure wasn't too special when I first rented it and after buying it after Revenge, it seemed less refined that the sequal. But after giving it the proper time, like all good to great games, it actually has a lot to offer and there's more gameplay than most people realize. I think most people just run through it with the turbo switches on.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 01:41:40 PM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2006, 04:15:22 PM »
Quote from: Seldane
I've finished Legendary Axe, and I still don't like it. At all. I don't even know why I actually bothered to play through it. :P
You also have difficult opinions to agree with.

Refer to what Black_Tiger said:

Quote from: Black_Tiger
I'm not talking about the tastes of the jeniuses who bought a million copies of 50 Cent: Bullet Proof. The average g@meR would think that all TG-16, Genesis, NES & SNES games are completely worthless.

That is if people are even dissing Bonk to begin with.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2006, 05:18:20 PM »
And although a modernization of the Mario formula works for the masses(New SMB), I don't think that the modern GaM3rZ could handle Super Mario Bros NES.

I think they could, for two reasons:

1) Many modern GaM3rZ already played Super Mario Bros in some form and have fond memories of the game.
2) Super Mario Bros was actually a really good game.  Since most modern GaM3rZ care more about gameplay than graphics (truth), they'd probably be able to enjoy it.  The reason modern GaM3rZ usually prefer stuff like Devil May Cry or Halo over retro action games is because DMC and Halo play better --- not because they look better.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 05:19:58 PM by Emerald Rocker »

guyjin

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2006, 05:32:50 PM »
That's why, as Seldane pointed out, people on non-PCE forums are bashing the VC version of Bonk.

Actually, it's because they're closet snerds who don't want to admit they missed out on anything.

The reason modern GaM3rZ usually prefer stuff like Devil May Cry or Halo over retro action games is because DMC and Halo play better --- not because they look better.
never played DMC, but as far as halo, you're full of it. playing it literally hurts my hands. few other games do that to me.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 05:48:16 PM by guyjin »
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

runinruder

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2006, 05:35:47 PM »
The reason modern GaM3rZ usually prefer stuff like Devil May Cry or Halo over retro action games is because DMC and Halo play better --- not because they look better.

Zig has a point here.  Chaos Legion annihilates Rondo of Blood.  
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2006, 05:44:03 PM »
Devil May Cry does NOT play well, and Halo is pretty bad, too.  I do like Super Monkey Ball, however!  And Shenmue!  And F-Zero GX!  And Dead Rising!

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2006, 05:48:03 PM »
Shenmue plays like a joke.  Ryo is inept in his normal environment, and the fight scenes are a mockery of Virtua Fighter.  If Shenmue were a TurboChip, it would be a DUD.

malducci

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2006, 06:37:09 PM »

I think they could, for two reasons:

1) Many modern GaM3rZ already played Super Mario Bros in some form and have fond memories of the game.
2) Super Mario Bros was actually a really good game.  Since most modern GaM3rZ care more about gameplay than graphics (truth), they'd probably be able to enjoy it.  The reason modern GaM3rZ usually prefer stuff like Devil May Cry or Halo over retro action games is because DMC and Halo play better --- not because they look better.

I don't think that quite true( some truth yeah, but not the whole truth). Most modern games do have different game play in comparison to the 16bit era, But I think graphics do matter to the kids now-a-days that didn't grow up with these oldies back in the day. Their experience with 2D is on current systems/consoles (including GBA) and not like the early 16bit era. The popularity in snes emulation of its latter games with a generation that didn't really(or entirely) grow up with it, is evadent of this.

Halo is a seriously overated game.

Zig has a point here.  Chaos Legion annihilates Rondo of Blood.

I hope you were being sarcastic because Chaos Legion is a crap ass game.

Keranu

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2006, 06:38:19 PM »
I wouldn't say a game like Halo plays better than a game like Super Mario Bros. mainly for the fact that Super Mario Bros is a lot easier to play without much learning and only having to use two buttons. This is exactly why I avoid most modern games; too much time wasted blabbling how to play a game instead of just getting to the point and letting me figure out how to play it. Not saying that any game that does this is just a flat out bad game because sometimes they can be very good, but I'm after simplicity myself.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2006, 10:39:38 PM »
I agree.  Nowadays games have forced (and unskippable) tutorials that take forever to get through before you can actually start the real game.  Okami comes to mind.  Lots of people get huge erections and squirt gallons of cum all over themselves when Okami is mentioned.  I am not one of them.

FM-77

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2006, 11:51:51 PM »
Halo rules. It is the best fps I have ever played. It is so mind blowingly entertaining to play. Simple game, yes, but fun. TONS of fun. Play it before you say it is overrated. Play it for real.

Play it on pc though, you can't play an fps with an Xbox controller.