Author Topic: TurboChip DUDS  (Read 2232 times)

TR0N

Re: TurboChip DUDS
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 09:50:59 PM »
DUD
Bravoman: Fugly music wacky controlls not to mention muffle, speach that makes you think your hearing engrish.

Btw i forgot to mention it's ridiculous diffcultly that is has as well.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

MrFulci

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 04:05:46 AM »
Wow, some folks aren't easy to please.

The TG-16 did seem to have a good proportion of "duds" due to the limited amount of total games released in the US.

For me it was:

- Talespin - Been a while, though I recall when I first acquired the game giving it a chance for about 20-30min before turning off the TG-16 and putting the game away for quite a while.

- Darkwing Duck - Pretty much the same deal as above, however I think I only lasted 10-20min.

- Many of the sports games, however, World Court Tennis, Madden Football, Final Lap Twin, Hit the Ice, are all alright by me. For about a month a neighbour and I spent MUCH time with World Court Tennis.

- Camp California - For those who have played it, they pretty much know what makes the game a dud.

- Gunboat - I tried to get into the game, figured it would be similar to Silent Service. It looked similar enough. Sometimes, I couldn't figure out what was going on in this game. A confusing game it was.

There are more than those, however that's all that comes to mind.

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

FM-77

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 04:23:33 AM »
Pretty much any hucard.

runinruder

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2006, 06:12:01 AM »
Chip DUDS...

Andre Panza Kick Boxing
Ballistix
Blodia
Bonk's Revenge
Bravoman
Falcon
JJ & Jeff
Keith Courage
Ordyne
Side Arms
TV Sports Whatever
World Court Tennis
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2006, 06:23:32 AM »
ALL TurboChips are duds.  ALL HuCards are winners.

vestcoat

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2006, 09:23:24 AM »
joe and steve:
Well said!  Don't forget to add "and the music pretty much blows" to each one of your entries!

I think I'll convert one of the rooms in my house so that the floor is a giant cheese grater, and then I'll go roll around naked and rub my body all over it.

I think you just wrote your signature!
----

BTW, I do enjoy the games i wrote about.  The points I made are pretty much my only gripes about them.  I thought I'd chime in after seeing legendary axe and air zonk get F'ed in the A.

vestcoat

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2006, 09:25:10 AM »
Oh sweet, I just got promoted to Venus Bonktrap. :dance:

Keranu

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2006, 10:26:36 AM »
Chip DUDS...
JJ & Jeff
You know better than that.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2006, 11:02:58 AM »
Wow, some folks aren't easy to please.

The TG-16 did seem to have a good proportion of "duds" due to the limited amount of total games released in the US.

I think that the TG-16 has actually has fewer proportionate number of real duds than any of the popular mainstream successful consoles. And I think that having a limited number of total games is actually the reason why.

Probably only like 10% of Turbochips are true garbage or kinda to pretty bad, where as the big systems have no less than 25% and some as high as like 40% or more.

Of course, those systems still have tons of great games, but the more popular a system is, the more crap that's piled onto it, even with 'quality ensuring licensing standards' in place.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

TR0N

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 03:32:36 PM »
Side Arms
Infidel! Sure it wasn't like arcade since it was missing 2p,but still i enjoy it for what it was.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

FM-77

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2006, 10:12:19 PM »
Probably only like 10% of Turbochips are true garbage or kinda to pretty bad, where as the big systems have no less than 25% and some as high as like 40% or more.

Give a TG16 to someone who's never even seen one before and he'll disagree.

Funny to read about the Virtual Console on non-PCE forums by the way. People seem to really hate Bonk.

I also agree with the first poster. Legendary Axe in particular is incredibly overrated, and I don't understand why people like it (aside from nostalgic reasons, that is). The Ankoko densetsu (I refuse to call it a series) game is really nice though.

MrFulci

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 02:56:27 AM »
Seldane, If people hate the game, they don't have to buy it. Pretty simple.

I had an experience with a visitor some years ago who had seen, and only played the TG-16 at in-store demos. When he saw the system over here his exclamation was, "OH SHTI! TURBO GRAFX!".

I guess he hadn't seen too many around during "it's time", and still remembered the system. He went through a decent chunk fo the games. There were many he didn't care for, however there were always Splatterhouse, Ninja Spirit, Devil/Alien Crush, etc.

Then again, with some other folks, we've had some laughs at the limitations of the system, such as showing how having too much going on at once can slow the system to slow motion in certain games (pretty easy to do with Air Zonk).

TG-16 is definately a niche system.

I have a dislike for pretty much any systems after sega/nintendo/tg-16 16-bit period.  I don't care much for the games (at least what I've seen) or the controllers. Systems before it, I'm pretty much OK with, though I'm not too fond of the intellivision or Coleco pad/sticks. hahah, so that's where I'm coming from with video games. Not something I do much of anymore, the last system I acquired was the Turbo Duo.

Sure is a lot of hate in this thread for card games.

The other thign is, measuring Turbo Games against current stuff isn't totally "fair". Gotta look aat the time whent he game was released, what else was available. Blades of Steel was more than likely better than TV Sports Hockey, etc.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

malducci

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2006, 07:49:36 AM »
Quote from: Seldane
Legendary Axe in particular is incredibly overrated, and I don't understand why people like it (aside from nostalgic reasons, that is). The Ankoko densetsu (I refuse to call it a series) game is really nice though.

I agree. I'm not sure why it got game of the year. I played back when it was fresh and new. I thought it was OK to decent, but nothing special. I didn't bother beating it back then either. The so called sequel is helluva lot better - one of my top ten Turbo Chips.

Funny someone mentioned Bonk's Revenge on there list. I thought it was the best one. Big improvement to the graphics over the first one. The only thing that sucked was the missing smooth spin of the first one. The difficulty was welcomed. Bonk 3 backgrounds overall are a step backwards to Bonk's Revenge.

Keranu

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2006, 08:04:43 AM »
To appreciate Legendary Axe, you have to put more time into the game. I wasn't much impressed with it when I first played it for the first few times because I would only play until like level two. The real fun comes in later with the great difficult enemy patterns that you have to memorize. It has a really good learning curve.

Funny to read about the Virtual Console on non-PCE forums by the way. People seem to really hate Bonk.
And this is why Bonk's Adventure is the best selling Virtual Console game so far?

Quote from: tomaitheous
Funny someone mentioned Bonk's Revenge on there list. I thought it was the best one. Big improvement to the graphics over the first one. The only thing that sucked was the missing smooth spin of the first one. The difficulty was welcomed. Bonk 3 backgrounds overall are a step backwards to Bonk's Revenge.
Runin is notorious for hating Bonk's Revenge with a passion :D . I could understand why from his point of view by Revenge not having the same nostalgic feel for him. I agree with you though, I think it's the best in the series. I suppose the flip might not feel as nice, though I haven't really noticed a difference, but for me the levels were more fun, improved bonus stages, music was even better, and the graphics were a lot more detailed and colorful. I don't consider Revenge to be a huge leap in improvement, but I still enjoyed it a tad more than the first.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2006, 09:38:12 AM »
I've finished Legendary Axe, and I still don't like it. At all. I don't even know why I actually bothered to play through it.  :P