Author Topic: TurboChip DUDS  (Read 2222 times)

Emerald Rocker

Re: TurboChip DUDS
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2006, 11:38:32 AM »
I am under the impression that the original poster likes Japanese stuff because it is more 1337 and doesn't like American stuff because the artwork doesn't look as good or something, hence his demand that we only talk about crappy American TurboChips and not Godly Japanese HuCards.

I've explained my reason for dedicating this topic to TurboChips not just once but three times, and it has nothing at all to do with "America bad, Japan good".  Therefore, I must assume that Joe Redifer is mentally deficient.

Joe Redifer, I demand that you cease and desist.  Your tireless praising of HuCards is uncalled for in a thread about TurboChip DUDS.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Joe Redifer

« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2006, 11:57:37 AM »
If you were a mod, I might listen to you.  Just because you started the thread doesn't mean you make the rules.

Anyway, why not just say "US card games" or similar instead of talking about TurboChips and HuCards?  Like previously mentioned, all TurboChips are HuCards.  Nowhere on the game itself does it say "TurboChip".  I did read your first post but skimmed your others, since they mostly seemed ranting and annoyed.  Also not sure why CD games are excluded (again I only skimmed your following posts).  CD games can be just as craptacular if not moreso that card games.  I am definitely mentally deficient, though.  :^o

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2006, 12:11:31 PM »
Weird,I never once in my life refered to any Tg-16 release as a Turbochip. It plainly states Hu-card on them. Some of the games you guys are bitching about dont deserve it really. I do agree Cosmic Fantasy 2 boss fights are long,but the game was worth it all in the end after I beat it. I loved that game and totally hated Final Fantasy 2,go fig.

vestcoat

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2006, 03:37:24 PM »
"Turbochips", in addition to being an easy way to distinguish domestic releases from imports, are also far superior to Hucards as a media format.  After all, what better way to display turbo-graphics on your TurboGrafx than with a Turbochip!
I have no doubt NEC created them as a last ditch effort to stand up to the awesome power of Sega's MEGA cartridges and Sega Cards and break their monoply on the US 8-bit market...

Back on topic, whether or not a game is a "dud" is mostly a matter of personal taste. I find relatively playable games to be "duds" for a couple of reasons.  One type of duds are average games that fall flat because the library is already saturated with other games of the same genre.
IMO, JJ and Jeff, Time Cruise and Dragon Spirit are good examples.  JJ and Jeff has decent play control and is challenging but sucks when compared to other platformers on the Turbo.  I've barely played Dragon Spirit because of all the other shooters in my collection and Time Cruise sucks compared to Devils Crush.
Another type of duds are games that just don't hold my interest long enough to figure out if they're good or not.  Tricky Kick and lot of sports games like Championship Boxing and TV Sports Football are examples of this.  Tricky Kick looks cool, but each screen is a logic puzzle that can only be solved one way and I just don't have the patience for it.  I barely know anything about football and haven't played CB because of the intricate controls.

On the other hand, I find myself spending a fair amount of time playing crappy games that are often criticized; games like Darkwing Duck, Deep Blue, Pacland and Sonic Spike.  I play these games for the same reason my RPGs are collecting dust:  I don't have a lot of time and most often just want something quick and brainless.  This means my shooters, platformers and pinball games have been getting a lot of use these days.  Even though the four games I listed aren't the best, the controls are easy and I can space out for a few minutes without digging up a manual or password.
I also play some terrible games simply because they are completely unique.  Falcon and Yo Bro both suck but I don't own any other games quite like them and they intrigue me.

Now, why I play Deep Blue and Darkwing Duck instead of Dragon Spirit and JJ and Jeff I'll never know... :?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 03:41:51 PM by vestcoat »

nat

« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2006, 04:47:44 PM »
Deep Blue!!

It's because Deep Blue has an otherworldly charm to it, that's why.

runinruder

« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2006, 05:02:00 PM »
Dragon Spirit is slow and ugly.  Deep Blue has lots of action, appealing visuals, nice music, and huge bosses.   
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

GUTS

« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2006, 05:25:59 PM »
Anyone who doesn't like Chaos Legion is a mentally deficient f*cktard.

FM-77

« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2006, 07:42:24 PM »
Dude, Dragon Spirit rules complete-rulesance! Maybe not the greatest gameplay, but the music makes up for it. Best music on the PC Engine? TOTALLY!!

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2006, 07:11:37 AM »
Anyone who doesn't like Chaos Legion is a mentally deficient f*cktard.

I had it for PC at one point in time,I thought it was totally bad ass. I need to buy it again.

Keranu

« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2006, 09:43:12 AM »
I can't see how HuCards = Good if Turbo Chips = Da suck. I think we got most of the good HuCards out here in America as Turbo Chips. There are a few HuCard gems that are only in Japan, but for the most part I am happy with what we got in America. CDs are another story.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2006, 12:59:22 PM »
Another DUD....

Splatterhouse
Two words: Censored.  Kiddy-fied.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Keranu

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2006, 01:13:59 PM »
What was censored or changed in the American version besides the mask?
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

guyjin

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2006, 01:47:58 PM »
i think some christian-related imagery was removed. (upside down crosses?)

Edit:
Yes.
"There was also a later boss - an upside down cross - than was altered to be a floating head in the TG16 release."
from http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/splatterhouse/splatterhouse.htm
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 01:51:52 PM by guyjin »
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Keranu

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2006, 02:24:12 PM »
Pah-lease, I'll take the cooler, scary mask of the TG16 version over the "horrorifying" upside down crosses of the Japanese version :) . Also, the American version has a cooler cover!

guyjin

« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2006, 02:33:16 PM »
just had a funny thought:

'there's no such thing as bad publicity".

NEC (or whoever) should have left the upside-down cross in. This would have pissed off the fundies, generating publicity, and therefore sales.

And yes, it does work this way: Back during the satanic panic of the 80's, Dungeons and dragons was banned in Utah. (the ban didn't stand up in court, but it was enforced for a while.) Utah immediately became a black hole of gaming; stores just over the border couldn't keep stuff in stock, and farther places also noticed increased sales.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin