Author Topic: A turbo Christmas  (Read 761 times)

guyjin

A turbo Christmas
« on: December 23, 2006, 09:16:27 AM »
Scratch your nostalgia itch here: tell us turbo noobs about your turbo (or pc-engine?) related holiday memories.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

MrFulci

Re: A turbo Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 01:16:13 PM »
I recall receiving a Turbo Duo for chrsitmas.

I did TZD's trade-up program, where I sent them a complete TG-16, and for some $$$ I received a Duo.

Great Trade. However, there were some issues at the time of the upgrade.

See, I had 2 TG-16 systems. I loaned a neighbour one, I used the other. It worked out pretty well for many months. We could play games at each other's place, no need to tote systems back and forth. The only catch was there was one turbo tap.

Now, with the trade-up, I had to get that system back from him to trade it in. That put a bit of a kink in playing games pretty much either house we were at.

Later, when I got the Duo, it presented problems in that it required another Tap, controllers, etc (I didn't think about the Tg-16 to Duo adapter at the time).

TG-16 with friends wasn't the same after that, hahahha. It all slowed down. Due to that, was probably why I didn't take much part in the nice sales that TZD had going on at the time when i received their flyers in the mail.

I missed out on the 3 for $60 SCD deals, Reverse turbo and duo taps, Bomberman party pack (many controllers + a tap), etc.

hahah, that's what I remember pretty well about the TG-16 and christmas. The trade-in that really slowed down playing games with others, and also caused me to drift away from the TG-16 for a period of time.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Kakizaki

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 04:31:48 PM »
I nearly spazzed out in the MOA after I picked up a new issue of Gamer's Republic and saw an ad for new TurboDuos at Cart Mart back in November of 2000. I promptly ordered one and then asked for it as a gift after it shipped. My sisters just gave me money after I received it.  8)

nat

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 08:38:42 PM »
Christmas, 1990. My parents bought me a TurboGrafx-16 for Christmas. I was a reader of a few video game mags at the time, and I knew all the specs on the new next generation systems. I don't think the SNES had come out yet in the US though. I wanted a TG-16 because it could display more colors than the Genesis (that was probably the only spec I understood/cared about at the time). I was an NES guy before that. All I wanted for Christmas this year was a TG-16. I couldn't sleep at all Christmas Eve night. I remember the feeling like it was yesterday....

Christmas morning, I was greeted by a large box featuring the happy Turbo guy someone was goofing on in another forum here. I wish I had kept that box. I remember it hung around the house for years afterwards. I wonder what ever happened to it. The pack-in was Keith Courage, and my parents also bought me a copy of Space Harrier. At the time my dad could get farther in Space Harrier than I could and it just made me want to play more so I could beat him. It's funny, I can't even imagine my dad being caught dead playing a video game now. Ahh, how times change.

I built my library over the next couple years. I think Christmas 1992 or 93 I got a copy of Air Zonk. Around this same time, maybe 93 or 94 my parents made me "coupons" that I could redeem with them for the cost of a game I could order from TZD. These were delivered as a Christmas gift. I remember getting the TZD flyers in the mail every so often.

A year or so after that I had a TG-CD player and dock waiting for me under the tree. X-mas 1996 was Alien Crush. I played the shit out of that game in high school. Around this time period the original TG-16 deck finally bit the dust. I received a new deck as a gift.

For nostalgic purposes, in addition to the hope I might fix it one day, I still have the original TG-16 deck I got as a kid in 1990.

Kakizaki

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 05:09:27 AM »
At the time my dad could get farther in Space Harrier than I could and it just made me want to play more so I could beat him. It's funny, I can't even imagine my dad being caught dead playing a video game now. Ahh, how times change.

This is slightly off topic, but my dad was the same way. When I first got a SMS in '88, he would play Choplifter with me. When I got a Genesis, I remember him playing Altered Beast. There is no way he would do that now.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 03:19:23 PM »
Back in December 1992 on the 26th I went with a bunch of money to Toys R Us. I had around $140.00. That was about enough for any of the game systems,but I wanted a Turbografx 16. I had lucked out because they were on sale for $50.00.

It was one of those things where,yea Contra 3 Alien Wars was great and all,and so was Strider,but I f*cking loved Bloody Wolf and only the Turbo had a port of it. I purchased a TG-16 system,Bloody Wolf,Alien Crush,and Legendary Axe. At that point in time I also had a Nes with around 17-20 games and a Sega Master System 2 deck and like around 20 games for it too. I had totally loved the Master System,as I had Strider on it,along with Golden Axe,Castle of Illusion,Outrun,and most of the best titles pretty much that were released in the USA.

Anyway after a month of playing with the Turbo I knew it was a better system then the other 2 I had,so I pawned off the other 2 and got more games for the Turbografx.
I loved arcade game ports,and at that time the Turbo seemed to have a solid list of them all around. I still like the Turbografx over the Snes and Genesis,and Pc Engine
is tops all around for the even better games it got.

KingDrool

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 04:15:54 PM »
My brother and I asked for a Turbo Duo for Christmas and a week before Christmas we found it hidden underneath a bed in the guest room.  So when we opened it we did our best to act surprised.   :D

Booting up Gate of Thunder was effing mindblowing.  I have yet to be so impressed with a game from the outset.  Every year we celebrated Christmas at my Grandma's house in Arkansas and playing Ys, Gate of Thunder, and Bomberman on the Turbo Duo helped us forget that we had to spend the entire week there.

Greatest.  Christmas.  Ever.

Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

guyjin

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 04:36:21 PM »
Even though I never owned a turbo back in the day, a supressed memory just popped into my head:

my parents had a habit of wrapping up videogame related stuff separately, not together, So if, say, a controller came in a separate box, it got wrapped separately. Sometimes, they forgot which presents should 'come first'.

Imagine my excitement when I opened up, one christmas eve, an AC adaptor for a TurboExpress.  :D
However, my parents had goofed. They actually got us a Game Gear, and got the wrong AC adapter by mistake.  :(

We still had a good time with the game gear, though. Good enough that we broke the first one. :(

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 07:56:39 AM »
My brother and I asked for a Turbo Duo for Christmas and a week before Christmas we found it hidden underneath a bed in the guest room.  So when we opened it we did our best to act surprised.   :D

Booting up Gate of Thunder was effing mindblowing.  I have yet to be so impressed with a game from the outset.  Every year we celebrated Christmas at my Grandma's house in Arkansas and playing Ys, Gate of Thunder, and Bomberman on the Turbo Duo helped us forget that we had to spend the entire week there.

Well,if your grandamother was located in the North Little Rock area you coulda went to Robs R&R Video and rented Tg-16 games and a NeoGeo AES system and games.
You could have done this up untill he closed up and I cleaned him out of his stock of both. I ened up buying all his TG games and around 12-15 AES carts and a US and Jap AES deck. I also purchased the majority of his Genesis and Snes stock and probably around 50 VHS movies.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 07:59:15 AM »
Even though I never owned a turbo back in the day, a supressed memory just popped into my head:

my parents had a habit of wrapping up videogame related stuff separately, not together, So if, say, a controller came in a separate box, it got wrapped separately. Sometimes, they forgot which presents should 'come first'.

Imagine my excitement when I opened up, one christmas eve, an AC adaptor for a TurboExpress.  :D
However, my parents had goofed. They actually got us a Game Gear, and got the wrong AC adapter by mistake.  :(

We still had a good time with the game gear, though. Good enough that we broke the first one. :(

Man if that happened to me Id have tossed both the ac and the GameGear at them and told them to f*ck off with that shit. GameGear sucked,too blurry.

guyjin

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 08:56:15 AM »
Man if that happened to me Id have tossed both the ac and the GameGear at them and told them to f*ck off with that shit. GameGear sucked,too blurry.

I was too busy having fun with Columns and Sonic 2 to notice the blur. And it was still better than the Game Boy.

Sadly, i never discovered the gear's hidden talent (playing SMS games) back then; i didn't find out until I got on the internet.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2006, 01:58:43 PM »
One excellent Xmas- 1994 I was a nerdy 14 year old opening up a few CD- Jewel case lookin' games.

Got Riot Zone, Beyond Shadowgate, and Sim Earth.

Maybe Sim Earth isn't the coolest- but Beyond Shadowgate and Riot Zone kept me awake for a majority of the time till about new years!! lol!!!

TurboSage- FYI- picked up my first Turbo Duo in the summer of 1994- and been friggin' hooked ever since!

KingDrool

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 01:14:14 PM »

Well,if your grandamother was located in the North Little Rock area you coulda went to Robs R&R Video and rented Tg-16 games and a NeoGeo AES system and games.
You could have done this up untill he closed up and I cleaned him out of his stock of both. I ened up buying all his TG games and around 12-15 AES carts and a US and Jap AES deck. I also purchased the majority of his Genesis and Snes stock and probably around 50 VHS movies.

Nope, we were unfortunate enough to be in Mountain Home, which is like a retirement home disguised as a city.  They had a lot of pawn shops there, and I think there was even a game shop at one time.  I was there last year and the pawn shops had very little in the way of game stuff, but there was a mediocre game shop out by the Wal-Mart.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 03:55:03 PM »
Ive never been there but I heard the same of Mountain Home. Next time you stop buy in Arkansas you can go to:

Game X Change in North Little Rock,Little Rock,Conway,Fort Smith,Fayetteville,Springdale and Rogers.
Each store has different varity. Fayetteville,Springdale and Rogers stores are the best of the chain. Fort Smith is ok,all the others are owned by Kelly Roberts and he sucks donkey dick.

Games N More in Russleville. Large stock crammed into a tiny store. I used to be friends with the owner Billy Cogburn but he became shadey in his business practices alot like Kelly Roberts so now I no longer deal with him as a friend or for profit. He tried to rip of other games stores and he talked shit about people who wouldnt deal with him and became paranoid thinking everyone was out to get him. he also preached the jesus yet at same time was f*cking around on his wife. All round loser.

Gamz for Less in Jacksonville. Nice store that opened up around a couple of years ago. Great stock of current stuff along with Nes,Genesis,and Snes. Nice owner with morals and hes honest. Very large kinda near Game Room size.

Game Room in Hot Springs. Store is crammed full of the best of about anything released in the USA.One of the largest game stores in Arkansas easily. Infact I think he IS the largest. He even has a little TG stuff. Used to have Neogeo stuff,still has Neo Pocket. Has tons of Atari,3DO,Master System,2600-7200,Nes-Game Cube,ect ect old or new... very nice honest owner named Mike,his store is one of the longest running in Arkansas and is easily the best.

Vintage Stock in Springdale and Rogers. Deals in records,comics,cds,dvds,toys,role playing stuff,video games,laser disc,ect ect. Good all round stores,espically if your looking for more then games.

Typical Ebs and Gamestops are located in about every major city here,nothing special.

For anyone wondering,Game Room is about a hour away from Little Rock,faster you drive,faster you get there. This would be helpful info for anyone passing trough wanting to game shop.
We have alot of arcade vendors spread out all over the place too but sadly we have to take U.S. Amusement off the current list. The owner just passed away and everything will be auctioned off from his estate.
RIP U.S. Amusement. You will be missed:(

guyjin

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 04:12:48 PM »
Hmm, where would that auction be?