Author Topic: Splatterhouse  (Read 1436 times)

Dark Fact

Re: Splatterhouse
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2007, 01:07:22 PM »
For the record, how many Splatterhouse games were there? I counted 3. :-k

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

TR0N

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 03:05:44 PM »
For the record, how many Splatterhouse games were there? I counted 3. :-k

4 if you count Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti for the Famicom.

It's more of parodies from what i've herd i haven't... had a chance to snag a copy for myself yet.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

2X4

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2007, 11:54:26 AM »
I used to be able to beat Splatterhouse on hard almost unconsciously.  I will have to try it again, it's been a while.  I agree with Joe Redifer that the music is great, and that the turbo's version of the original is better than 2 or 3.  While 2 is a great game in its own right, it just doesn't quite recapture the magic.  The first one just had that feel to it.  It scared the crap out of me and riveted me at the same time.  I loved the colors, the music, the characters, the stages, everything.  It wasn't quite the same with the second, and the third one was a sore disappointment.  I would love to do a splatterhouse sequel if I could muster the people with the skills and time to do it.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

sunteam_paul

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2007, 05:21:48 AM »
I would love to do a splatterhouse sequel if I could muster the people with the skills and time to do it.

I was going to do one on the Amiga once with a friend. We did a very close version of the main sprite and a cool looking boss called 'King Heap' (who was a giant head) but never really took it further than that.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

nat

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2007, 11:59:06 AM »
I would love to do a splatterhouse sequel if I could muster the people with the skills and time to do it.

I was going to do one on the Amiga once with a friend. We did a very close version of the main sprite and a cool looking boss called 'King Heap' (who was a giant head) but never really took it further than that.

Speaking of Turbo ports on computer systems, Eagan Rackley and I were working on a Keith Courage port on the PC eight or so years ago. We never finished. It wasn't a sequel, really, but an "updated and expanded" version of the original. Eagan added a parallax layer to the background. We got as far as a lot of the first Overworld done and then kind of fizzled out. It was his baby for the most part, but I did a lot of the graphics including all the sprites. I think I got "Overworld Keith" and most of the Overworld enemies done. I don't think we ever got far enough to implement any kind of collision detection, though, so you could just wander around and walk right through the baddies. There was another guy that contributed an original music piece he had written that we used as the background music. Eagan released a demo of everything we had done at some point but we never took it further than that. Perhaps someone here remembers it....

http://pcenginefx.com/main/interview_with_mr__eagan_rackl.html

Anyway, that's my (small) contribution to PCE/Turbo history.  :dance: If anyone here knows how to get in touch with Eagan these days, drop me a line... The e-mail I have for him just bounces mail anymore.

esteban

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2007, 12:44:17 PM »

Speaking of Turbo ports on computer systems, Eagan Rackley and I were working on a Keith Courage port on the PC eight or so years ago. We never finished. It wasn't a sequel, really, but an "updated and expanded" version of the original. Eagan added a parallax layer to the background. We got as far as a lot of the first Overworld done and then kind of fizzled out. It was his baby for the most part, but I did a lot of the graphics including all the sprites. I think I got "Overworld Keith" and most of the Overworld enemies done. I don't think we ever got far enough to implement any kind of collision detection, though, so you could just wander around and walk right through the baddies. There was another guy that contributed an original music piece he had written that we used as the background music. Eagan released a demo of everything we had done at some point but we never took it further than that. Perhaps someone here remembers it....

http://pcenginefx.com/main/interview_with_mr__eagan_rackl.html

Anyway, that's my (small) contribution to PCE/Turbo history.  :dance: If anyone here knows how to get in touch with Eagan these days, drop me a line... The e-mail I have for him just bounces mail anymore.
I remember reading about this on PCEfx when it had a lot of Turbo stuff (i.e. lists of the hardware and peripherals with photos).

I think the project you folks started was worthwhile (Keith Courage could have been an excellent game, so an updated and expanded version would have ruled! Less linear overworlds with emphasis on exploration, unique tasks (instead of simply buying a bigger sword all the time), etc. would have been killer :).
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2007, 04:34:22 PM »
I agree with Steve; this could've been a pretty cool project (I remember downloading the demo you guys released, pretty neat). Keith Courage is definitely one of those "potential games" that I like to mention, meaning they had good potential to be a great game, but failed in really doing so.=

After revisiting that interview, I checked out the link to the site and found this message by Eagan:

Quote from: Eagan
5-3-2000 - If you're looking for the Keith PC project, please know that the project has been discontinued for a time due to a loss of source code, and lack of interest. I do however plan a PC Engine port using zeograds HuC compiler in the not so far off future:). The PC Engine port will simply be a graphically improved version of Keith Courage in Alpha Zones showing once and for all that the PCE kicks some serious butt.

Though this is from 2000 and I haven't heard anything about this before, does anyone know if he did any work on it and if he still plans to make it? That would be wicked cool.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2007, 05:05:45 PM »
I agree with Steve; this could've been a pretty cool project (I remember downloading the demo you guys released, pretty neat). Keith Courage is definitely one of those "potential games" that I like to mention, meaning they had good potential to be a great game, but failed in really doing so.=

After revisiting that interview, I checked out the link to the site and found this message by Eagan:

Quote from: Eagan
5-3-2000 - If you're looking for the Keith PC project, please know that the project has been discontinued for a time due to a loss of source code, and lack of interest. I do however plan a PC Engine port using zeograds HuC compiler in the not so far off future:). The PC Engine port will simply be a graphically improved version of Keith Courage in Alpha Zones showing once and for all that the PCE kicks some serious butt.

Though this is from 2000 and I haven't heard anything about this before, does anyone know if he did any work on it and if he still plans to make it? That would be wicked cool.

No, nothing ever came of that.

I'm not sure if he still plans to do anything like that, although, I would guess to the contrary since it's been 7 years. I'm surprised that page is still around, actually.

I tried to contact him not too long ago because I wanted to see if he would be interested in doing some more work on the KC project. I happened to be going through some old computer disks and ran across a ZIP disk with the KC project files on it. I got all nostalgic and thought it might be something fun to do on the weekends in my free time. Unfortunately, like I mentioned above, the e-mail address I have for him only bounces messages these days (user not found).   ](*,)

GUTS

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2007, 06:41:26 AM »
If anyone remakes Keith Courage they need to remove those damn spike pits that you can't see until you fall in them.

2X4

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2007, 07:25:57 AM »
on topic, I just ran through splatterhouse on hard mode.  I did have to continue a couple of times on the womb level, but I beat it (no save states or other emulator cheats).  The key to beating Biggy Man (one of the most sick, awesome bosses in video game history) is to tote the first shotgun with you through the level - use low kicks, rocks and slide kicks to take out the enemies.  then when you come upon the second shotgun, pick it up, move a few pixels and pick up the other one, repeat this and drag both shotguns with you to biggy's lair.  Then you'll have enough shells to take him out (plus change) without getting one single chainsaw scar.

Mr Bonk

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2007, 11:34:22 PM »
That's what I did, too.  Pickup and drop both shotguns, then when you reach the end, I used the turbo button and killed him off in less than 5 seconds.  Great Fun.
BTW, I couldn't get to that sound piece posted awhile back, I really would have liked to hear it.  Actually if someone could put up the soundtrack, that'll be great...
If the government gets up your nose, then picket!

Tatsujin

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2007, 12:12:50 AM »
BTW, I couldn't get to that sound piece posted awhile back, I really would have liked to hear it.  Actually if someone could put up the soundtrack, that'll be great...
actually someone did already, but the FM Towns Marty version. just can't find the link at the moment.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

2X4

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2007, 11:25:42 AM »
If you still need this I would be able to get you a real hardware rip if it's kosher with the folks here.  Let me know what format you prefer and I'll handle it.  If you just want a good ole' hes rip, click.

Mr Bonk

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2007, 11:32:25 AM »
Mp3 set would be great, if it's no trouble.
If the government gets up your nose, then picket!

nat

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2007, 11:41:33 AM »
Does anyone know of an HES player for Mac OS 10.2? Audio Overload requires 10.3.  And no, I'm not going to go to the Apple store and spend $150 to upgrade to 10.4 or whatever the current version is so I can listen to HES files.