Author Topic: Turbo-list reviews  (Read 1299 times)

vestcoat

Turbo-list reviews
« on: January 02, 2007, 06:06:49 PM »
I was bummed out a few years ago when the Turbo-list went down and took all of the game reviews and cheats with it.
Tonight I was mucking around doing some turbo-related searches and found a dude with archives of all the reviews and cheats.
I apologize if this is already common knowledge--I was not aware of this or any other archive.  At any rate, this may be interesting and useful for some of the newer folks.  I remember reading these reviews by BT Garner and others in the late nineties and daydreaming about how awesome Spriggan and Super Darius 2 must be.

http://baetzler.de/vidgames/Hu-reviews.var
http://baetzler.de/vidgames/CD-reviews.var
http://baetzler.de/vidgames/Turbo-cheats.var

Keranu

Re: Turbo-list reviews
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 06:17:56 PM »
Sweet thanks! I missed these, even though I found a lot of the reviews to be pretty whacked.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

runinruder

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 12:40:14 AM »
I think it's hilarious that so many games "need a joystick" according to those guys.

By the way, you can find more old TurboList stuff here: http://turbo.mindrec.com/
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 02:09:17 AM »
After seeing the review for Bloody Wolf I stopped reading them. Bloody Wolf is one of my favorite games for the system and they had the nerve to say it looked like Nes graphics. Reviews like this tend to come from people who cant beat the game they are reviewing or tend to hate that genre of games. That and I always felt the graphics in Alien Crush were much above average,so I disagree with them on that too.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 02:25:21 AM »
Oh yea and that BT Garner guy was a f*cking retard. He gives the majority of his game reviews B ratings,and the only few games he seems to really like and give a A in the graphics he uses Gate of Thunder or Lords of Thunder as the A+ benchmark comparison. Like Gradius 2 he gives a B+,but Hellfire a A+++. Stupid.

nat

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 03:00:35 AM »
Dude, the Turbo List is still around. They just changed servers.

turbo-list@mindrec.com

Maybe

turbo-list-subscribe@mindrec.com

to subscribe? I can't remember.

m1savage

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 03:45:17 AM »
Oh yea and that BT Garner guy was a f*cking retard. He gives the majority of his game reviews B ratings,and the only few games he seems to really like and give a A in the graphics he uses Gate of Thunder or Lords of Thunder as the A+ benchmark comparison. Like Gradius 2 he gives a B+,but Hellfire a A+++. Stupid.

:shock:  BT Garner is in no way a f*cking retard. If you don't agree with his reviews that's fine, but I see no reason to insult a long time contributor to the PC Engine scene.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 04:47:26 AM »
Ok,Im sorry but anyone who can willingly say Hellfire has A+++ graphics but Gradius 2 only has B+ has got problems. Don't get me wrong,I love Hellfire,but it is nowhere near better then Gradius 2 graphically. For that matter he said alot of average titles had B-+ graphics,I mean what the hell,its like he has conflicted interest or something and was afraid to say it like it is or give the games a C on some titles. And his comment on Vasteel "A (Beautiful.)". I love Vasteel but I mean,its poorly animated and pretty basic overall graphically,and def deserving of a B,at the most,but def not a A with Beautiful tacked on. And Samurai Ghost,he gives a A+ when the game is easily a B- graphically.Shadow of the Beast he gives  a A+++ for graphics which is just silly.

I love what he says about RayXanber 3 "(Very nice looking, almost in line with Gate of Thunder)". I like Gate of Thunder alot,but last I checked RayXanber 3 visually was better,Gate of Thunder was more along the lines of a B- and isnt the benchmark of shooters. His comment on Monster Lair"A  (beautiful - very detailed)" Completely off. that game is def a B- at the most. he seems to have gotten his grading scale for graphics backwards. As for his hardwork on the Pc-engine scene,I never really heard of him untill today,but if by doing so much for it you mean labeling top tier titles with B graphics and labeling average titles with A+++ graphics then I don't see how he could have helped the scene much.

And I dont know who reviewed China Warrior but they gave it a A-,when the game is ass graphically,big characters or not,its poorly animated and most of the enemies are rocks,twigs,fireballs,and dumb looking monks.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 04:50:41 AM by Michael Helgeson »

KingDrool

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 05:32:38 AM »
Nice find!  I subscribe to the Turbo List, but it's awesome to see these old pages again.  Thanks!
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

td741

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 05:54:50 AM »
Keep in mind that these reviews were written probably around when the games became available or at least when the person got their game.  They probably don't go back to their previous reviews and revise them or even play comparable games back to remember why they rated previews reviews as they have. 

For graphics, they also seem to take into account elements of the game's engines such as flicker, slowdown, scaling, parallax scrolling (on top of character animation, cut scenes, variety, etc.)

I would also wager that there might be different expectations based on the game's format (HuCard, CD2.0, SCD, ACD) along with possibly price, availability and expectations.  A highly sought-after game might be put under much more scrutiny then a fun obscure low-budget game title.  Similarly, we might expect less from a HuCard in terms of sound and graphics then an ACD game so a reviewer might be more forgiving and try and compare within the same format.

Seeing as I haven't played RayXander III (I only have RayXander II), I can't comment on what he might have seen that slightly lowered the grade on RayXander III.  Maybe it's the fact that the he preferred the backgrounds in Gates?  Maybe it's because of the faux-scaling in Gates?  Maybe it's the fact that bosses change colour when they get damaged in Gates?  Maybe there is more variety in enemies/stages in Gates?  Maybe it has a better intro... I can only guess?  (Argh, now I've got to look out for RayXander III... anyone have it for sale? :P).

As for Monster Lair Vs Gradius II, again it could be background graphics?  Or it could also just be the fact that Monster Lair is a CD2.0 game and looks good compared to other CD 2.0 games.  But Gradius II is an SCD game and has to live up to higher standards.

It also could be the fact that he's had a bad lunch that day.  Honestly, it's only reviews and one person's opinion on a game.  Heck, they aren't even in-depth reviews, they are a paragraph with ratings attached to them.

GUTS

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 06:57:07 AM »
Those all remind me of GamePro reviews.  The constant harping about needing a joystick is definitely hilarious, you could tell the reviews were written by a bunch of old pac-man playing codgers.

Looking back I remember the days when those were the only reviews out there though, they were helpful back then (The date on the txt says 1995).

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 07:14:21 AM »
Ed and Shushi X reviews came to mind here when reading these guys shite reviews,lol yea the joystick thing among the other indifferent things,reminds me how at first EGM reviewers loved FMV games,then year later hated them and how they would give the crappiest games great praise then take something like Art of Fighting 3 and say it wasn't that great and had poor/choppy animation,even though most NeoGeo collectors agree AOF 3 had possibly some of the best animation of a Neo cart.

Yes reviews tend to reflect personal opinion,but there is a point where personal opinions like theirs are terrible or misguided somehow or just biased by fanboyism somewhat leading to unfair grading.

vestcoat

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 07:54:21 AM »
Yeah, there's no way of knowing what order these reviews were writtin in.  I think the reviews are decent, but I usually try to find at least three different reviews on any given title I may consider purchasing.  Gamefaqs is a good example of some of the most biased articles I've read on the internet.
Bloody Wolf is also one of my favorite action huca...ahem, TURBOCHIPS  :mrgreen: and, although the graphics are better than NES games, I'd say they're only a step or two above the likes of Metal Gear.

Black Tiger

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 11:37:41 AM »
After seeing the review for Bloody Wolf I stopped reading them. Bloody Wolf is one of my favorite games for the system and they had the nerve to say it looked like Nes graphics. Reviews like this tend to come from people who cant beat the game they are reviewing or tend to hate that genre of games. That and I always felt the graphics in Alien Crush were much above average,so I disagree with them on that too.

Not only is Bloody Wolf one of my favorite Turbo games, Alien Crush has some of my favorite graphics. Screenshots of AC were one of the motivations for me to get a TG-16 back in the day(when I already had a Genesis).

As for comparing Bloody Wolf to NES graphics, even in the perspective of someone who can't appreciate the style of BW's graphics, at the worst they're very 'next gen' looking compared to Metal Gear or any similar styled NES game. In fact, BW has some of the nicest graphics for the genre on '16-bit' home consoles. Which isn't saying that much, since the genre is full of non-pretty games. But that's part of the appeal, the gritty dark graphics. I think that many people who don't appreciate the graphics haven't played through the entire game.

China Warrior may not be the nicest shaded game or have the best art, but a lot of people base most of their judgment of '16-bit' graphics on technicalities like sprite size, parallax, neato effects, etc and not on how the actual art/graphics look. Many of these guys like to hate on beautiful PC Engine games that don't have seperately scrolling bg's.

Monster Lair looks very nice. If you try to analyze the graphics on a technical level, you'll spoil the game a bit(like I did when it first came, I was looking for something extra special from my Turbo CD and didn't realize just how arcade perfect it was). But anyone who walks into a room and sees it playing would think it looks nice and colorful with some cool 'cute' art. I appreciate this game more and more as years go by.

I agree that using other games as a benchmark isn't the best way to review titles on a game by game basis. But whenever you find a slew of reviews by the same person, you get a feel for their tastes and perspective and and can use that to judge for yourself how much you'd probably enjoy them.

As for his hardwork on the Pc-engine scene,I never really heard of him untill today,but if by doing so much for it you mean labeling top tier titles with B graphics and labeling average titles with A+++ graphics then I don't see how he could have helped the scene much.

Way to show your ignorance - by dissing the guy who's contributed a lot to the PC Engine scene (emulation and non), released two homebrew CD games, and is working on a Contra style game along with a badass blazing lazers/star soldier shooter game   :roll:

God I can't wait to try PC Gunjin(is that still the name?). I hope we can at least get some sort of demo/rom sometime soon.

At least we got some screenshots in the meantime. If anyone from Frozen Utopia would like to one up them with some pics from that super secret super awesome game I've been hearing about for quite some time, please feel free.  :P  :wink:  :pray:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 12:14:54 PM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

malducci

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 11:40:05 AM »
As for his hardwork on the Pc-engine scene,I never really heard of him untill today,but if by doing so much for it you mean labeling top tier titles with B graphics and labeling average titles with A+++ graphics then I don't see how he could have helped the scene much.

Way to show your ignorance - by dissing the guy who's contributed a lot to the PC Engine scene (emulation and non), released two homebrew CD games, and is working on a Contra style game along with a badass blazing lazers/star soldier shooter game   :roll: