Author Topic: Turbo-list reviews  (Read 1301 times)

Michael Helgeson

Re: Turbo-list reviews
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 12:06:18 PM »
As for his hardwork on the Pc-engine scene,I never really heard of him untill today,but if by doing so much for it you mean labeling top tier titles with B graphics and labeling average titles with A+++ graphics then I don't see how he could have helped the scene much.

Way to show your ignorance - by dissing the guy who's contributed a lot to the PC Engine scene (emulation and non), released two homebrew CD games, and is working on a Contra style game along with a badass blazing lazers/star soldier shooter game   :roll:

Look,honestly I don't think hes done as much as you say,and I dont care to suck up here but I perfer the Nantos of the world for what they can do over anyone who can only do ripoffs of Asteroids and puzzle games. As for the emulation work you talk of,Ill reserve my hero worship to those more deserving,the actual people behind Magic Engine,David and Cédric Michel,not some guy who hosted a old website for them.

What perplexes me more is the fact this guy rated all the A+ titles with saying they all have B average graphics,then churns out slightly above Master System quality visuals on his own projects. Now that I know who was behind Mindrecs crappy games I laugh even harder now,thanks goes out to you and m1savage for giving me the desire to look up all that nonsense.

For the seemingly high standards he held for the games he reviewed he doesn't seem to share this on his own stuff in the least bit. Frozen Utopias stuff that is unfinished looks worlds further in quality as it is,and original. And as for Contra clone,does it so far look like Nes or Master System? better yet,is it B- graphics? Does it have slowdown and flicker? Is it as detailed as the lol A+ graphics in Monster Lair? Better looking then Rayxanber 3 and Gradius 2? Last pics I remember seeing of it over a year ago it looked like ass,like Nes kinda. Now looking at updated pics it kinda looks like Midnight Resistance on Genesis. Guess he needs to use his high standards he holds on other games more on his own.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 12:13:46 PM by Michael Helgeson »

guyjin

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 12:56:44 PM »
million(?) dollar companies should be held to higher standards than lone amateurs.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
million(?) dollar companies should be held to higher standards than lone amateurs.
lone amateurs should keep their big mouths shut if they cant hold themselves to the same high standards they hold over the "professionals", otherwise it will come back and bite them in the ass years later.
When I used to do heavy comic collecting,I didn't knock a artist quality unless I honestly knew I could do better. If I'm going to place a high standard on someone like that and talk shit,then I need to be able to hold myself to the same high standard as a artist,and as far as I'm concerned,game making is a art in many ways. And BT Garners way of reviewing graphics was bad obviously.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 01:13:04 PM by Michael Helgeson »

malducci

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 01:44:30 PM »

Look,honestly I don't think hes done as much as you say,and I dont care to suck up here but I perfer the Nantos of the world for what they can do over anyone who can only do ripoffs of Asteroids and puzzle games. As for the emulation work you talk of,Ill reserve my hero worship to those more deserving,the actual people behind Magic Engine,David and Cédric Michel,not some guy who hosted a old website for them.

What perplexes me more is the fact this guy rated all the A+ titles with saying they all have B average graphics,then churns out slightly above Master System quality visuals on his own projects. Now that I know who was behind Mindrecs crappy games I laugh even harder now,thanks goes out to you and m1savage for giving me the desire to look up all that nonsense.

For the seemingly high standards he held for the games he reviewed he doesn't seem to share this on his own stuff in the least bit. Frozen Utopias stuff that is unfinished looks worlds further in quality as it is,and original. And as for Contra clone,does it so far look like Nes or Master System? better yet,is it B- graphics? Does it have slowdown and flicker? Is it as detailed as the lol A+ graphics in Monster Lair? Better looking then Rayxanber 3 and Gradius 2? Last pics I remember seeing of it over a year ago it looked like ass,like Nes kinda. Now looking at updated pics it kinda looks like Midnight Resistance on Genesis. Guess he needs to use his high standards he holds on other games more on his own.

....(sigh). Just because he holds his own personal opinions( read: biased) on those games - doesn't make him a retard. By that same logic, you're a retard.  It's been awhile, but from memory I remember quite a few reviews I didn't agree with - but I didn't go off dissing the man and then try to justify it in a later post.

It's funny, you know nothing about coding for the PCE (or in general?) or pixel art and yet you make such judgments against those who make games in their spare time. I'm sure the FrozenUtopia members would probably disagree with you.

Really think it was just "David and Cédric Michel" behind Magic Engines success or even PCE emulation to begin with? There were many people involved: Charles Doty, David Shadoff, Benjamin Quinn , Zeograd, Charles Macdonald ( of Mame fame), and more. Not to mention the other more recent emulator authors who have achieved more accurate emulation than ME.

Way to go - again. It's kind of like you mouth is a magnet to your foot.

vestcoat

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 02:18:11 PM »
Way to show your ignorance - by dissing the guy who's contributed a lot to the PC Engine scene (emulation and non), released two homebrew CD games, and is working on a Contra style game along with a badass blazing lazers/star soldier shooter game   :roll:

Damn, PC-Gunjin looks frickin' sweet.  I guess I should check the ME forums more often.  Until now I had only seen one lone picture on the Mindrec site a while back.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 04:27:06 PM »

....(sigh). Just because he holds his own personal opinions( read: biased) on those games - doesn't make him a retard. By that same logic, you're a retard.  It's been awhile, but from memory I remember quite a few reviews I didn't agree with - but I didn't go off dissing the man and then try to justify it in a later post.

It's funny, you know nothing about coding for the PCE (or in general?) or pixel art and yet you make such judgments against those who make games in their spare time. I'm sure the FrozenUtopia members would probably disagree with you.

Really think it was just "David and Cédric Michel" behind Magic Engines success or even PCE emulation to begin with? There were many people involved: Charles Doty, David Shadoff, Benjamin Quinn , Zeograd, Charles Macdonald ( of Mame fame), and more. Not to mention the other more recent emulator authors who have achieved more accurate emulation than ME.

Way to go - again. It's kind of like you mouth is a magnet to your foot.

I think the thing is your giving the guy more credit then he deserves,and I also don't think you should assume to know what some or ALL the Frozen Utopia members think or try to speak on their behalf,thats foolish of you,nor does Bt Garner make or break the community as you have made him out to be in status like hes one of the most important figure heads of some movement.. You remind me of lamasoft worshippers who were on their knees sucking Jeff Minters cock everytime someone spoke against him.

Its a simple fact you don't seem ready to hear that the guy rated these games obviously biased as hell and for all these supposedly high standards others have suggested he held on them he sure doesn't seem to have set the same high standards upon himself and his own software,as they are all unoriginal and lacking in art/graphic quality.

As for the comment about me not knowing nothing of coding for the PCE,you are correct,I do not,but I have done pixel artwork in the past with friends around 98-2000 who were attending school for graphics artist,and did pixel art projects in their spare time as a hobby,recreating game characters and trying to mimic the animations and so on.

I have no real interest in it "at the moment",because Im a artist by ink,not by mouse and the process of the latter is much too slow for me and what I do I could not express the way Id want to effectively on a computer. This does not mean I wouldn't be willing to try it some more again. This will be  a discussion I might possibly have with Keranu,a Frozen Utopia member and a friend, later in the future. If I could get the hang of it on my own and actually come up with something worth contributing to them Id be all for it,but Like I said,if I'm going to do something like that I would have  a very high standard over myself as to how the quality of what I did would be.

As for Magic Engine,I only care about who the paypal payment goes to. If others helped,Ill leave it up to David and Cédric Michel to give them credit where credit is due.
Maybe they owe someone some cash payments it sounds like according to you. Maybe you should suggest to them to list all these guys names on the "About" page. http://www.magicengine.com/uk_index.php?sessid=_2ca63i96Vv0JEUoCgbQyAowz0xA

Cause I mean on there I don't see any of your guys mettioned,and you make it sound like Magic Engine wouldn't have happened without them because they are so damn important, even though the main team is listed as David & Cédric Michel. Are you saying David and Cédric Michel are glory hogs taking all the credit then??? Hmmm....

Also,one last thing,since its universally agreed upon here that the majority of off key reviews by Ed,Shushi X,and the other reviewers out there were retarded and guilty of the same thing Bt Garner and others on the Turbo list did,then how come you think its ok if its coming from Bt Garner,and its horrible of me to call the guy a f*cking retard for his retarded reviews,but its fine and dandy for me or whoever else to dis all the other dumb assess. Thats a horrible double standard and I'm doubtful if ever in my life I will see you running to Die Hard Game Fans defense of their opinions and views. I don't care if the guy can make  a gazzilion Contra and Astroids clones,hes still a off key retarded dipshit biased goof on his game reviews and nothing changes that.

For that matter I didn't need a joystick to beat any of the games they said needed it. I don't know where that came from out of them as they reviewed these games but jesus,its just stupid silly nonsense.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 04:34:40 PM by Michael Helgeson »

Black Tiger

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 06:02:47 PM »
Also,one last thing,since its universally agreed upon here that the majority of off key reviews by Ed,Shushi X,and the other reviewers out there were retarded and guilty of the same thing Bt Garner and others on the Turbo list did,then how come you think its ok if its coming from Bt Garner,and its horrible of me to call the guy a f*cking retard for his retarded reviews,but its fine and dandy for me or whoever else to dis all the other dumb assess. Thats a horrible double standard and I'm doubtful if ever in my life I will see you running to Die Hard Game Fans defense of their opinions and views. I don't care if the guy can make  a gazzilion Contra and Astroids clones,hes still a off key retarded dipshit biased goof on his game reviews and nothing changes that.

For that matter I didn't need a joystick to beat any of the games they said needed it. I don't know where that came from out of them as they reviewed these games but jesus,its just stupid silly nonsense.

The one thing I'll say about people dissing the professional reviewers while letting some hobbyist reviewers slide is that the pros are supposed to be professional, that's what they get paid to for, while the fan reviewers are only doing it for fun and or love of 'gaming'.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 06:06:57 PM »
id think after the aftermath of the professional reviewers real gamers who have a real love for games would actually be alot more fair towards games if at all possible,not make biased reviews and stupid coments,and that includes giving China Warrior a A+ for its graphics when we all know it didn't deserve it..
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 06:11:23 PM by Michael Helgeson »

malducci

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 06:21:34 PM »
I think the thing is your giving the guy more credit then he deserves

And what additional credit would that be?

I also don't think you should assume to know what some or ALL the Frozen Utopia members think or try to speak on their behalf

I wasn't speaking on there behalf. It was more of a hint. You know, maybe some of the members actually know and work with Mindrec members? Ask them if you want, though.

nor does Bt Garner make or break the community as you have made him out to be in status like hes one of the most important figure heads of some movement..

I think you're "reading into things". I merely conveyed the he contributes to the PCE community and scene, provided proof and that you were ignorant of it.

Its a simple fact you don't seem ready to hear that the guy rated these games obviously biased as hell and for all these supposedly high standards others have suggested he held on them he sure doesn't seem to have set the same high standards upon himself and his own software,as they are all unoriginal and lacking in art/graphic quality.

That's great. Don't play them when they come out. Remember, you've got a Neo-Geo. So no worries.

As for the comment about me not knowing nothing of coding for the PCE,you are correct,I do not,but I have done pixel artwork in the past with friends around 98-2000 who were attending school for graphics artist,and did pixel art projects in their spare time as a hobby,recreating game characters and trying to mimic the animations and so on.

I have no real interest in it "at the moment",because Im a artist by ink,not by mouse and the process of the latter is much too slow for me and what I do I could not express the way Id want to effectively on a computer. This does not mean I wouldn't be willing to try it some more again. This will be  a discussion I might possibly have with Keranu,a Frozen Utopia member and a friend, later in the future. If I could get the hang of it on my own and actually come up with something worth contributing to them Id be all for it,but Like I said,if I'm going to do something like that I would have  a very high standard over myself as to how the quality of what I did would be.

That's cool that you've done some pixel art. There's still a demand for pixels artists. You figure that being an artists though, you'd appreciate the effort and work it takes to get a project done - respect for another artists regardless if you care for their style or not. But, to each their own. Btw, BT's not the pixel artist for those projects.

As for Magic Engine,I only care about who the paypal payment goes to. If others helped,Ill leave it up to David and Cédric Michel to give them credit where credit is due.
Maybe they owe someone some cash payments it sounds like according to you. Maybe you should suggest to them to list all these guys names on the "About" page. http://www.magicengine.com/uk_index.php?sessid=_2ca63i96Vv0JEUoCgbQyAowz0xA

Well, I was referring to the turbo hack list were information was discovered and shared openly in the in the PCE programming/emulation community. But I guess you don't knowing about that.  David coded the emulator himself so he has a right to charge and keep the profit.

Cause I mean on there I don't see any of your guys mettioned,and you make it sound like Magic Engine wouldn't have happened without them because they are so damn important, even though the main team is listed as David & Cédric Michel. Are you saying David and Cédric Michel are glory hogs taking all the credit then??? Hmmm....

See above.

I think Black_tiger summed that up pretty.

It's funny you think I agree with all those reviews. I don't. I have my own opinions. I just don't think he deserves to be called something to the effect of "off key retarded dipshit biased goof" and merely pointed out that he's not just "some guy".

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 06:35:53 PM »
You make it out like that he's not just "some guy" justifies bad reviews and because hes special people cant talk about him and make comments on his obvious bad judgement call on his reviews. Screw that,I call it like I see it,his reviews suck. Case closed.

fragmare

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »
I find this all quite amusing.  NES graphics on PC-Gunjin???  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2007, 03:15:22 PM »
I find this all quite amusing.  NES graphics on PC-Gunjin???  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Originally yea,I upgraded it to Midnight Resistance.

fragmare

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007, 03:25:35 PM »
I suppose this looks like Zanac, then?  ;)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about how something looks.  It's subjective, not objective.  It is simply the nature of the beast.  If you disagree about opinions that someone had about how they perceived something 10+ years ago, that is fine. By all means voice your own opinion... but please don't make a federal case out of it and then resort to petty namecalling.  It makes you seem very troll-like.  Just some advice for future posts.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 03:29:08 PM »
Yea,troll like coming from someone who just joined to comment to me and hopefully start shit,lol reminds me of the moose and the worm.

I'm finding it strikingly odd how noobs are appearing as of past couple of days and seeming to dictate how the threads and peoples post here should be done/run,then running off to never be heard from again. I thought this qualifies more as trolling.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 03:37:11 PM by Michael Helgeson »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 03:33:32 PM »
I suppose this looks like Zanac, then?  ;)
Yea Zanac mixed with Raiden and whatever else you plan to copy :P

After all last I remember ripple and laser belonged to Gradius and Salamander. Im sure you can verify this as BT Garner probably knows all about both games :wink:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 03:40:14 PM by Michael Helgeson »