Author Topic: My worthwhile thoughts on a few PCE games  (Read 3109 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Re: My worthwhile thoughts on a few PCE games
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2007, 08:16:30 PM »
I think Final Zone 2 is decent, maybe better then the first.  And, is Reno the same as Renovation?  That was always my assumption, but now I'm wondering.

Black Tiger

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2007, 06:17:55 AM »
Keep in mind that I have a notorius view on what makes a game shit :) . In my opinion, true shit games are ones that aren't even playble or have very minimal playable like Jack Nicklaus  :mrgreen: . Final Zone II is certainly playble and even a little enjoyable to me.

Both Legion and Golden Axe are very playable.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

GUTS

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2007, 07:36:30 AM »
They have nothing on ArtDink, you guys should try some Carnage Heart, Tale of the Sun, or Aquanaut's Holiday if you want to see true taint.

GUTS

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2007, 04:11:53 PM »
Youkai Douchuuki- An odd little platformer that is interesting mainly because half the f*cking screen is taken up by your status bar.  Literally half.  It shows a little map that sort of gives you an idea of where you are in the level, but basically only by telling you how far you are away from the end since its just a crude drawing of the level.  The control is decent, and it does everything ok in a 1988 sort of way, but the game as a whole is just archaic and not any fun.  First of all you only get one f*cking life, and that's IT, no continues or anything (at least not that I could find).  You can buy stuff from an old lady in a store, but only health power ups and some status enhancers like new shoes that make you jump *slightly* higher, and other things nearly as worthless.  Plus the collision detection is a little odd, it's one of those games where the edge of platforms and enemies isn't precisely defined (like donkey kong country compared to mario bros), so it can be ultimate frustrating.  The boss fights are kind of cool though, your character prays at a shrine and his spirit comes out and you get to control it as it flies around and fires projectiles off, all the while your little guy is praying super hard.

Overall the game isn't exactly horrible, but I wouldn't recommend paying more than a few bucks for it at the most.  The few frustrations like when you half to stop at a shop (they aren't optional) and the screen takes 10 seconds to change, one life and no continues, and the various extremely cheap parts definitely over ride any fun I had with it.  I will say its leagues better than f*cking JJ and Jeff or Impossamole though.

esteban

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2007, 05:16:37 PM »
Youkai Douchuuki- An odd little platformer that is interesting mainly because half the f*cking screen is taken up by your status bar.  Literally half.  It shows a little map that sort of gives you an idea of where you are in the level, but basically only by telling you how far you are away from the end since its just a crude drawing of the level.  The control is decent, and it does everything ok in a 1988 sort of way, but the game as a whole is just archaic and not any fun.  First of all you only get one f*cking life, and that's IT, no continues or anything (at least not that I could find).  You can buy stuff from an old lady in a store, but only health power ups and some status enhancers like new shoes that make you jump *slightly* higher, and other things nearly as worthless.  Plus the collision detection is a little odd, it's one of those games where the edge of platforms and enemies isn't precisely defined (like donkey kong country compared to mario bros), so it can be ultimate frustrating.  The boss fights are kind of cool though, your character prays at a shrine and his spirit comes out and you get to control it as it flies around and fires projectiles off, all the while your little guy is praying super hard.

Overall the game isn't exactly horrible, but I wouldn't recommend paying more than a few bucks for it at the most.  The few frustrations like when you half to stop at a shop (they aren't optional) and the screen takes 10 seconds to change, one life and no continues, and the various extremely cheap parts definitely over ride any fun I had with it.  I will say its leagues better than f*cking JJ and Jeff or Impossamole though.
Impossamole sucks, JJ & Jeff doesn't! :)

I haven't played Youkai enough to judge it yet. Maybe next weekend!
  |    | 

nat

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2007, 05:41:39 PM »

You've got it backwards, friend.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2007, 06:48:38 PM »

You've got it backwards, friend.

Indeed!  Give me Impossamole any day of the week over JJ & Jeff!

Turbo D

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2007, 06:51:19 PM »
really? I can't stand impossamole, haha.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
It has its problems.....but, I deffinitly dig it.  I'd love to remake it someday with better controls, etc.

Turbo D

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2007, 11:09:06 PM »
that would be cool if you did because i had bought it with great expectations only to be disappointed. I was really excited about it, haha. Oh well.

turbofan1

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2007, 01:06:59 AM »
It has its problems.....but, I deffinitly dig it.  I'd love to remake it someday with better controls, etc.

You would love to do A remake of impossamole?.That game is pretty well known for ending the Turbo`s short life span.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2007, 02:37:23 PM »
Mmm, I'd say the game didn't help, but, it has promise to be an awesome game.  It just needs to have it's "wrongs" replaced with "rights" 8)

nat

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2007, 04:52:15 PM »
The collision detection sucks, and the title song is atrocious. Beyond that it's a pretty fun game.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2007, 06:29:41 PM »
The collision detection is what originally pissed me off about the game.  The day I originally bought it when it came out......I hated that damn game, but, after my friend & I cooled off in the pool, we rethought about the game, & ended up beating it.

esteban

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2007, 02:55:41 AM »
The collision detection sucks, and the title song is atrocious. Beyond that it's a pretty fun game.
I know I'm repeating myself, but every time I see this, I cannot help but remind you that the title song is FRIGGIN' AWESOME.  It is the highlight of the game. :)
  |    |