Author Topic: My worthwhile thoughts on a few PCE games  (Read 3092 times)

Keranu

Re: My worthwhile thoughts on a few PCE games
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2007, 09:22:13 AM »
Haha, very true. At least cheesy space sequels entertain me :D !
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2007, 01:09:37 PM »
You jackasses, stop ruining GUTS' topic.  You all know the only reason anyone watched those movies was to see Michael J. Fox's bare butt, so you can stop pretending they were actually good/fun/cool films.

Damn butt-watchers.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Keranu

« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2007, 02:32:36 PM »
Nah man, we watch Corey Haim movies for some hot bare butt. And with the avatar you have, I'd say you enjoy it too ;) .
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2007, 04:44:38 PM »
I'm not really into the old west at all, infact, I used to hate it.  But, the exceptions are BTTF3, & the Wild Arms series.  And I guess some random anime's that have a sci-fi western theme.

nat

« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2007, 06:21:43 PM »
You jackasses, stop ruining GUTS' topic.  You all know the only reason anyone watched those movies was to see Michael J. Fox's bare butt, so you can stop pretending they were actually good/fun/cool films.

Damn butt-watchers.

GUTS could save his thread from this hijacking by posting another mini review.

GUTS

« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2007, 05:46:29 PM »
SOL MOONARGE-  Oh hell yeah, this game was great.  It definitely needs to be added to the list of games that are easy for non-Japanese speakers to play through.  The game is just plain fast, it's a nice change of pace from most of the archaic old RPGs of the era.  There's a fast walk button, everything loads really fast (with one exception I'll get to in a minute), and the battles are ULTRA fast.  There is literally no loading at all when you get in a battle, it's like playing a cartridge game.  Plus if you get tired of holding the I button down during battles, there are like 8 or so auto battle options you can play with (I didn't figure these out, they all seemed to do the same thing for me but I'm sure there is some benefit to them).  You can even target 1 or all enemies with any weapon or magic just by pressing up, no need for specialized weapons or magic.  The dungeons also offer quite a bit of variety with some of them taking place in a side-scrolling view with some cool puzzles.

The graphics are also pretty amazing for the most part.  The main over world graphics are just ok, but the dungeons are nearly all really, really cool looking with tons of detail and some nice effects.  The cinemas also use some great effects and are pretty awesome.  Even quite a few of the enemies in the game are really nice looking and HUGE, plus all the bosses have some great animations and weird attacks that look cool.  Overall the game leaves a great visual impression and if it wasn't for the mediocre over world graphics I would say it hangs with some of the best looking RPGs of the 16bit era.

There are a few bad points, although considering how awesome and well done the rest of the game is, they are basically just slight annoyances that really stand out because of how great everything else is.  The first is the incredibly high encounter rate, which isn't a pain for most of the game, but once in a while you run into an area or dungeon where every f*cking enemy has to use an attack that hits ALL your characters so you sit there waiting for the god damn attack to finish just to have to see it again and again.  Also, enemies get the first attack about 80% of the time, seriously.  It really, really gets irritating a few times where you play as one character and the enemies have status altering effects (one tower in particular the enemies can put your guy to sleep, it took me a few tries to get out of there alive).  The only other real problem is that getting in and out of your ship later in the game has a weird 5 or so second delay where the game has to load something.  I have no idea why since the graphics are the same, but I assume it's maybe loading in the sea based enemies or something.  You will do a lot of entering/exiting the ship for about 3-5 hours of the game, so it gets really irritating sometimes.  Also, I found that magic was completely worthless outside of healing spells.

I'd say this is one of my favorite PC Engine RPGs now, it was fun as hell, easy to play, FAST as f*ck, and incredibly well put together.  I'd definitely recommend spending the $30 or so it goes for.  It took me about 25 hours to beat, although I think I left it on for a few hours one day so that might be a little high.

There are a few parts where you might get stuck, here's a quick rundown of all the places I got stuck-

-Early in the game you have to read some graffiti on the wall to the right of the bed in the princes room in Itch castle (the first castle in the game).  You can't see it so just get in the bed and press against the right wall and search.

-You have to visit the thief tower a second time to retrieve the treasure you couldn't get the first time, this takes place after you get blasted into the sky by Silver.

-In Ain village (the one that is in a mountain that you must pass through to get to the mountain dungeon) there is a lady shopkeeper on the top left of the village that you must talk to from the side after you beat the mountain dungeon.

-In Neo Raputo there is a secret door behind the Sultan that you can only enter at night when the Guard is gone.  Just press up against the wall and you'll pass through.

-In the Dimension Dungeon (cave above the town where the people are ghosts and only come out at night) you have to equip the rainbow goggles to see the hidden chests/warps.

-There is a small island in the middle of the map that doesn't show up on the map where the Ghost Ship will be cruising around after you beat the Dimension dungeon and get all the treasures.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 05:49:18 PM by GUTS »

runinruder

« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2007, 05:53:48 PM »
Awesome, that game sounds great.  The ULTRA fast gameplay and the side-scrolling dungeons with cool puzzles have sold me on it.  Hopefully I'll be able to get around to it soon; I have a bunch of RPGs that I want to play through soon, like Tenshi 2 and Dragon Slayer 2, and I've been itching to replay Blood Gear...

Sleep spells should be outlawed. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2007, 05:55:44 PM »
Wow that game sounds super rad, I totally have to get it! I've seen the same screenshots for it for years and it always looked funny and amusing to me.

nat

« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2007, 06:10:47 PM »
I'd heard somewhere this game was no good.

I'll have to give it a try.

Carbon Tiger

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2007, 04:30:51 AM »
Sol Moonarge.........never heard of that one and considering I already have a ton of PC-E RPGS I may have to add it to the collection. Sounds fun and from the screenshots looks different then a lot of other games too.
My game collection at PCE Daisakusen
http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/33/147/show-user.htm

m1savage

« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2007, 04:40:52 PM »
runinruder - go ahead and put Sol Moonarge at the front of your list. Hell, at the rate you go you'll probably clear it in a day anyway.  :lol:  Seriously though, would be cool to hear your thoughts on this.

GUTS

« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2007, 07:40:49 AM »
Mysterious Song demo-  Let me list the positives so as not to hurt anyone's feelings- the music is pretty good, the battle music especially is great, the guy who did the music has some talent.  The end.

turbofan1

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2007, 03:31:40 PM »
Yeah I agree with that.Whoever did the music and the voice over has some talent.I don`t no if it was P D or some one else.As far as the rest of the game goes-As soon as I left the first building or castle,I got attacked by some red cat,and got my ass kicked.After a few times of that,I got tired of playing it.Didn't really understand the opening cinema.Is the guy supposed to be floating or something?.Not trashing the game by any means.If the difficulty was tweaked A little bit,it would be A fairly good game.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2007, 07:28:35 PM »
I didn't do the music, but I did enhance some of the music.  Basically, I gave the music some atmosphere.  Though, I'm off & on reworking the music a little more, so it sounds a little more organic & full.  And, I'm the voice of Spear, the hero of the game, Odonadon is the mysterious voice.  I don't think my particular performance is anything special, but, then again, I prefer to do wierd parts, where I don't sound like myself.  Oh, & yeah, Spear is floating in the opening cinema.  I'm basically floating around in nothingness........then I wake up.

I actually haven't tried the demo yet, but, atleast in the beta, I don't recall it being really hard.  And I really like the graphics.  The cinemas are difficult to do though, & I don't like them.  I'm kind of hoping we'll be able to change them, as I think Keranu figured out a better way to do them, plus Black Tiger is now our art director.  Did I mention that cinemas are difficult?  Cuz they are!  I give Keranu credit for trying, it's deffinitly something new to him.  I can't even remember the name of the guy that bailed on us & Mindrec who did cinemas, but that put us in a jam.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 07:30:49 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

ccovell

« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2007, 10:07:13 PM »
I don't want to take this too off-topic.  But several tracks on the MS demo disc are really good... but that's because they are old Amiga MODs (from videogames and such.)  Are all the tracks from other artists, or are there some original compositions in there?