Author Topic: My worthwhile thoughts on a few PCE games  (Read 3093 times)

Emerald Rocker

Re: My worthwhile thoughts on a few PCE games
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2007, 03:39:57 PM »
The hook of Ys was the crazy awesome music and the crazy awesome cinema.  If Ys 1+2 had started with lousy PSG music and Adol stepping off the boat, a lot of people would have given up on it.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Keranu

« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2007, 03:42:58 PM »
The hook of Ys was the crazy awesome music and the crazy awesome cinema.  If Ys 1+2 had started with lousy PSG music and Adol stepping off the boat, a lot of people would have given up on it.
As stated, Mysterious Song has "crazy awesome music" as well. Not to mention the "crazy awesome" red cat eating Birdmasks.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2007, 03:43:56 PM »
That's what I thought you'd say!

GET OUT OF MY HEAD
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Keranu

« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2007, 03:45:39 PM »
GET OUT OF MY HEAD
:mrgreen:

You... you're different.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #124 on: December 24, 2007, 03:36:56 PM »
BUBBLEGUM CRASH ENGLISH TRANSLATION

Since Bonknuts was cool enough to let me beta test this, I thought I'd write up a review.  I played through the game in one sitting, and it was pretty damned fun, not the best digital comic I've ever played, but definitely worth playing through for any Turbo fan.  I didn't encounter any bugs (there are a couple he warned me about that are in the actual HuCard so I was able to avoid those) fortunately, and I spent a fair chunk of time just f*cking around moving and trying different things to see if I could get it to crash.

The game plays out like an episode of an anime show, it starts out with a bank robbery and it's up to your chick (and her friends) to get to the bottom of what's going on.  The story is pretty predictable and the digital comic parts really hold your hands, but you can interact enough that it doesn't feel like you're just watching the proceedings.  Everything unfolds like a typical game in the genre- you move between locations talking to people and uncovering clues, showing items, solving a few simple puzzles, etc.  After an hour or so of that, you are treated to a weird motorcycle chase thing where you have to catch up to a mech.  The game concludes with the classic Wizardry-style maze where you are attacked by robots as you try to hunt down the last boss.  This was really the only annoying part of the game since you can't save in the maze (set aside at least an hour or so to beat it).

The graphics are decent enough for a HuCard, although it does have that NES look to some of the backgrounds (I assume they were saving memory for the bike chase part and the fight scenes later on).  One thing that the game could have used is some more art of the main girls or at least bigger portraits, I felt like I barely saw them by the time I had finished.  The maze part has the nicest graphics in the game in my opinion, it actually looks pretty cool, although it could have used more than 2 different robot types to fight and maybe a palette swap or something on the different floors.

I also feel like I should mention the music is pretty bland.  Not a single song stuck out, they were all very generic and sounded like they came as examples with the PCE dev kit sound library or something.  They weren't offensive or anything, just forgettable.

I definitely recommend all you homos get the translated ROM and play through it, and since it's only about 2 hours long you really have no reason not to.

termis

« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2007, 06:24:39 PM »
Cool.  I wanna have a go at it, but I'm too frickin' set in my ways to play 'em on an emulator.  I really need to get one of those flash cards...

I definitely recommend all you homos get the translated ROM and play through it...

:lol: Homos only please.

GUTS

« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2007, 04:21:16 AM »
I played through it on my Xbox using Mednafen- I hate playing games on emulators too, the only way I'll do that is if it's a translated game and there's an emulator that runs on Xbox so I can sit in front of my TV and play it.  Everyone should own a modded Xbox, it's the greatest thing ever.  Although you can probably beat it in one sitting on your computer, it shouldn't take you more than a couple hours at most and that's if you screw around, you could probably beat it in and hour and a half if you tried.

GUTS

« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2008, 07:10:34 AM »
Got a few games in a trade recently-

Asuka 120%- f*cking retarded, retarded fighting game.  I don't know what you guys are on about that actually like this shit- Flash Hiders completely and utterly obliterates it on every level.  The graphics especially are heinous, the characters all have super spindly limbs and teensy little faces that you can't even see and look about as high res as a f*cking NES game's sprites.  The game has a nice title screen and presentation to trick you into thinking you're about to experience a sweet fighting game, but the actual fighting is BLEH to the max.  I played this on PSX and THAT version was good since they completely redid the graphics and added a ton of stuff to the fighting engine, but why anyone would bother playing this shit when there's Flash Hiders or Fatal Fury is beyond me.

Advanced VG- I actually liked this one a little better than Asuka since at least the actual in-game sprites are identifiable as women and not pixelated scarecrows.  Still pretty shitty and archaic though.

Zero 4 Champ II- Now this shit seems really cool- a digital comic mixed with a drag racing game.  I got a little ways into the game where I was running some odd jobs for some lady (deliveries I assume, it's a pac-man like mini-game where you race around avoiding other cars).  I also had a bunch of money I figured I was supposed to be spending on a car, but I didn't make it far enough to do that yet.  The actual drag racing isn't very exciting since all you do is try to shift on time (there's a two player mode of some sort included so you can immediately battle the computer), but I guess that's basically the gist of real drag racing so it's all good.  The digital comic parts seem pretty well put together, and it's a GREAT idea for a game, so I'm hoping the language barrier isn't too high so I can give it a serious playthrough.  This is one I might update with some deeper thoughts on later.

Steam Hearts- Not bad, not bad at all!  For being a pervert shooter this is actually a damned decent game.  The powerups are nice, the graphics are  ok (even nice in some places), and the control/hit detection is spot on.  My only gripe is that there is way too much talking in the game.  You can skip it by hitting start, but it's still distracting when you're in the zone and suddenly everything grinds to a halt so one of the generic characters can yell about something.  The cinemas are also incredibly boring since you look at one f*cking picture for about 5 minutes before it changes, but again you can skip these.  The game would have greatly benefited from an "arcade" mode or something where all the useless fluff was removed (or maybe it has one already, I didn't see the option though) and you were left with just a decent fast-paced shooter with some cool bosses.  I also really dug that it uses the life bar system instead of 1-hit kills, it makes the game much easier for people who suck at shooters like myself.  Plus if you continue it starts you off with the same level of power up that you had when you died, so basically the game is very shooter-tard friendly.

MurderDate

« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2008, 08:19:20 AM »
gaaaad this entire thread is HILLARIOUS!   I'm gonna go play Impossamole now.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

ceti alpha

« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2008, 09:23:18 AM »
Steam Hearts sounds interesting. I need to get at least one pervert game for the Turbo. lol  8)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

m1savage

« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2008, 12:24:47 PM »
I'd love to see both of the Zero 4 Champ games translated someday.

http://www.gamengai.com/flyer_inf.php?id=202&l=e

nat

« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2008, 12:29:13 PM »
Wow, I'm surprised to hear GUTS didn't like Asuka 120%. Runinruder has done nothing but sing it's praises since he played it. I still haven't played it, but now I don't know what to think.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2008, 12:51:11 PM »
I remember playing Zero Champ Doozy J on some system.  The J's were sure a doozy, but that's all I remember about it.  I don't even know what type of game it was, but I want to say racing.

m1savage

« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2008, 12:58:59 PM »
Yep, same company and the same series. Came out for Saturn and PSX if I remember correctly.

Edit: Wow, there's a flash version of Z4 too.

http://www.kurumade.com/entertain/game/contents.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:10:34 PM by m1savage »

spenoza

« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2008, 01:19:30 PM »
Flash Hiders was fun, but it doesn't hold up. As soon as you start pumping your stats it becomes a horrible cheap-fest. Asuka and Advanced VG don't suffer that fate.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c