Author Topic: Hello  (Read 481 times)

arkowi

Hello
« on: January 13, 2007, 05:17:36 AM »
Hi all,

I am new here, but have been a long time Turbo gamer. I had a Turbo Grafx 16, a Turbo Express, and Turbo Duo. Today, I still have my Turbo Duo and Turbo Express but they are both in bad shape. Unfortunately, at college a lamp fell on my Turbo Duo and no one noticed for like 5 minutes. It melted the CD lid down to the case and I had to break it to get Dracula X out. My Turbo Express was a trusty companion for many years, but one day the screen just stopped working. All in all the system seems fine, I have had it apart, but the screen was just fubar. 

Anyway, last week I got a brand new Turbo Express from TZD. I have been playing a lot of Parasol Stars, Bonk, and Street Fighter 2 (with my US-Japan converter) and I am trying to track down the rest of my HuCard games (I am 27 and a lot of "stuff" like that is still at my parents house...I need to slowly introduce the fiance to my nerdery). Here are some of the games I know I had (if they have a star by them I know where they are now):

HuCard:
Splatterhouse
Bonk's Adventure*
Tailspin
Deep Blue
Parasol Stars*
Street Fighter 2 (Japan)*
Sidearms*
Victory Run
Fighting Street
Klax
Alien Crush

SuperCD:
Dracula X (Import, duh.)*
Martial Champion (Import)*
I know I had more American games, but I don't remember them off hand.

Dracula X, Tailspin, Splatterhouse, and Bonk were my favorite games...But I do love me some parasol stars.

Since I have my working-but-no-screen Turbo Express, I have been thinking of trying to hack a more modern LCD screen possibly larger and with a higher resolution as well as TV out. The Express seems to have the same chipset as home consoles. Does anyone have any pinout info from the Turbo Chipset? Does anyone have any information/schematics on what the inputs were to the original Turbo Express screens other than the power? Is it RBG?

Also, I would love to find a replacement top to my Duo. I think I am going to just need to find a broken Duo on eBay or possibly just break down and buy a used working Duo and sell the broken one for parts.

Anyway...sorry for the long first post. Looking forward to spending some time here.

-arkowi
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 05:21:47 AM by arkowi »

termis

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 05:30:17 AM »
Welcome aboard.  I'm sure you'll have a good time. 

And I know about all about slowly breaking in your "nerdery" to your significant other.  :mrgreen:   I went from motorbike racer when I met my wife to video game nerd these days.    :wink:

Anyway, I've never fiddled around with the video chip, but this site explains all the video signals you can tap from the chip.

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/duorgb.php

arkowi

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 05:38:00 AM »
Wow, good info there.

It would be so nice to put a little larger LCD screen in there at a little bit higher resolution.

With this info, one could easily hack a TV out signal also. It would be killer to hook up an Express to a TV.

Now that I have a brand new Express I will be a little more emboldened to start soldering stuff to the old one, haha.

vestcoat

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 05:48:05 AM »
It's funny, your's is the second story I've heard about a lamp melting a hole through a Turbo Duo's CD cover.  Some years ago  there was a working Duo sold on ebay with the same problem and pictures of the melted cover.

Anyway, good luck with your TE and welcome to the forums.  You probably don't have to worry about long posts around here. :)

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 06:05:19 AM »
Welcome aboard! Strangely enough, another person online told me that a lamp fell on his Turbo Duo and melted the CD lid, though I don't think you two are the same person. I find it pretty interesting that one of your favorite games is Tailspin, which I personally don't consider a bad thing :) , but others might find that funny. It was way better than Darkwing Duck for sure.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

arkowi

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 06:35:57 AM »
Wow, I feel slightly less embarrassed since there may possibly be up to two other people out there who have melted their Turbo Duo, hahah.

Keranu: lol at the Tailspin thing. I love that game, I don't care what others say. I think I would like to track-down a copy of Darkwing Duck. I was a big fan of the Disney Afternoon.

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 07:47:33 AM »
Keranu: lol at the Tailspin thing. I love that game, I don't care what others say. I think I would like to track-down a copy of Darkwing Duck. I was a big fan of the Disney Afternoon.
I like the Tailspin game, it's certainly decent. Darkwing Duck looks like a really cool game, but unfortunately the gameplay sucks. I liked the cartoon.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 10:10:21 AM »
I like the Tailspin game, it's certainly decent. Darkwing Duck looks like a really cool game, but unfortunately the gameplay sucks. I liked the cartoon.

Tail Spin is just disappointing because they actually had the beginnings of a great game that would've made good use of the license. But instead it feels like they made a demo and then quickly threw a bunch of levels together to get it out the door before their deadline.

I really like straightforward platformers and wish the Turbo had more. Plus those cookie cutter Disney cartoons were perfect for games(Capcom figured it out) and would've looked beautiful on Turbo hardware if they were done right.

Back in the day, I thought out the perfect Gummi Bears game for Turbo CD. It would've been similar to Willow NES with a TMNT arcade perspective and fighting.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nodtveidt

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 10:16:19 AM »
One of my favourite games is Camp California, which most people here hate, so don't feel bad about loving Tailspin. :D

Keranu, we HAVE to do that someday. :D

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 10:20:13 AM »
One of my favourite games is Camp California, which most people here hate, so don't feel bad about loving Tailspin. :D

Keranu, we HAVE to do that someday. :D
Do what?  :-k By the way, I still haven't played Camp California yet! I tried bidding on an auction for once some months ago, but got terribly outbidded (it went past $50 I think!).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 12:38:41 PM »
Doesn't TaleSpin have that retarded "Bare Necessities" bear from "The Jungle Book"?  I hate that song and I hate that bear!  He needs to die, and soon!

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 12:55:56 PM »
Dude Bare Necessities was an awesome song and Baloo kicks ass.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 12:14:43 AM »
Wow, all this talk of lamp melting reminds me of when my friend put his PC Engine on a table lamp to block out some of the light coming from the hole at the top of the lampshade. A few minutes later he picked it up and the plastic at the bottom was all melted and hanging down so in a panic he turned it over and tried to squish it back in place! It still worked and later he sold it off and I bet the company that bought it wondered what the hell he had done with it :D
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Dark Fact

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 07:33:29 AM »
We're getting a lot more new cadets into the PC-Engine fandom on these boards! :D Welcome aboard! :D

Man, that sucks to hear about your melted lid and the lamp that fell on it.  Oh well, I guess shit happens.

Looking forward to talking to you about PC engine stuff and other things in the future. :wink:

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

kungfukid

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 07:44:21 AM »
Hey, welcome to the board - I'm also brand new here! That really does suck bout the lamp melting your lid - same thing happened to something plastic of mine once years ago, but I can't remember what it was now!....